Auburn Volleyball

Mikey

6 hours ago, blakem said:

I wasn’t able to watch the game but I tried to keep up on twitter. I saw many commenting on the officiating in the 2nd set and was wondering what happened?

One involved a net violation on a block by Auburn.  Initially I thought the call was correct but a replay from the AU side of the net made it appear that the net movement was a result of the block causing the ball to hit the net and cause the net to move without the AU player touching the net.  Coach Crouch nearly blew a fuse.  Additionally, late in the set AU was awarded a point on a kill due to a touch by Florida.  Replay indicated the ball may not have been touched but the ball appeared to hit the end line which would have made it in bounds regardless. The point was awarded to Florida.  If you have ESPN+ you can see the replay.  I know I am partial, but I really have to question those calls.  

Very exciting game.  We did better at handling the Florida service game than I thought we might.  Both teams had 20 service errors.  Need to put this one behind and be mentally ready to play Ol 'Miss on Sunday.  They defeated Bama in 3 sets yesterday.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, slot canyon said:

One involved a net violation on a block by Auburn.  Initially I thought the call was correct but a replay from the AU side of the net made it appear that the net movement was a result of the block causing the ball to hit the net and cause the net to move without the AU player touching the net.  Coach Crouch nearly blew a fuse.  Additionally, late in the set AU was awarded a point on a kill due to a touch by Florida.  Replay indicated the ball may not have been touched but the ball appeared to hit the end line which would have made it in bounds regardless. The point was awarded to Florida.  If you have ESPN+ you can see the replay.  I know I am partial, but I really have to question those calls.  

Very exciting game.  We did better at handling the Florida service game than I thought we might.  Both teams had 20 service errors.  Need to put this one behind and be mentally ready to play Ol 'Miss on Sunday.  They defeated Bama in 3 sets yesterday.  

It is hard to ignore the red card in the 2nd set. It was a bad call by the refs for sure, but getting a red card when you’re up on the #3 team in the nation…. that’s just not smart nor representative of Auburn Volleyball. The score was 23-18 and we would have been serving to get to set point. Instead, Crouch’s red card kills all our momentum, gives Florida a point, and the serve!  They then go on to score 7 of the next 8 points and win 26-24. Win that set and we would have likely swept them in 3.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VolleyMike said:

It is hard to ignore the red card in the 2nd set. It was a bad call by the refs for sure, but getting a red card when you’re up on the #3 team in the nation…. that’s just not smart nor representative of Auburn Volleyball. The score was 23-18 and we would have been serving to get to set point. Instead, Crouch’s red card kills all our momentum, gives Florida a point, and the serve!  They then go on to score 7 of the next 8 points and win 26-24. Win that set and we would have likely swept them in 3.

I was unaware of the penalty card rules. That was a pretty significant mistake on coach Crouch’s part.

From Morton's twitter page scroll down to Dec 2, 2022.  Great hustle in that sequence in the game vs Creigton.  She saves a ball in the back court, slides about 10 feet and recovers to fill her position and defends the next attempted kill allowing AU to get the point.  

Defeated Ole Miss Sunday 3 - 1.  Ole Miss is a "quick team" and kept a lot of balls in play, making for some exciting volleys. Their Libero I believe is tops in the conference. The announcers for the game were annoying and tended to "jabber" rather than call the action.  We have a couple of players out, Kemp and Lanham.  

Travel to Arkansas this Wednesday.  They are very good with only 2 losses to #1 Wisconsin.  Tough match, especially considering quick turnaround, travel and highly ranked opponent.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Auburn basically embarrassed by Arkansas and lost in 3 straight sets.  AU scored 18 - 10 and 6 points in the successive sets.  We have some injuries and some players "dinged up" but we looked very disorganized.  In the 3 sets, we had 18 errors vs 6 for Arkansas.  A lot of difficulty handling the Arkansas serves.  I am ashamed to admit that I stopped watching about half-way through the 3rd set.  I hope the team can physically and mentally recover from this set back.  

• Sad 1

First ever win in Gainesville tonight and got it by way of a sweep. I’m couldn’t watch so I’m watching now and these announcers are insufferable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, blakem said:

First ever win in Gainesville tonight and got it by way of a sweep. I’m couldn’t watch so I’m watching now and these announcers are insufferable.

Wife and I watched last night.  I felt maybe best I have seen AU play this year.  I would describe them as playing with "calm composure".  In particular, we only had 2 receiving errors which had been a sore point in recent games.  Florida had 7.  I agree about the announcers; glad I am not alone in that opinion.  Florida is really missing their great setter Stucky.  AU still without Bella Bell.  Auburn dominated most of the statistical categories if you look at the link below.  By the 3rd set, you could see a change in the look of the Gator players and coaches.  

https://auburntigers.com/news/2023/10/6/volleyball-no-25-tigers-pull-off-historic-upset-at-no-9-florida.aspx

• Like 3

Didn't they beat us earlier in the year?  Always great to win in Gainesville.  Glad we are beating top 10 teams! This program has turned a corner for sure.  Sustaining success from last year. 

AU DEFEATES SOUTH CAROLINA IN CLOSE MATCH  3 - 2

Prior to yesterday's game, AU had lost 7 straight matches to South Carolina. We were the victors in this 5-set match with each set decided by 2 or 3 points.  SC was somewhat rested having played their previous game 1 week ago, so they had some more "game planning" time.  AU had what I would call an emotional 3 set win at Florida just 2 days prior to this away game.  South Carolina appeared to have more quickness.  Their defense was good at extending rallies.  Statistics fairly even with AU having 17 blocks to 10 for SC maybe the exception.  We have a few days off prior to road trip to Tennessee who are 6 - 0 in conference play and ranked #1 in conference.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...