Auburn Volleyball

Mikey

I was a bit surprised we lost a 3 set match vs Missouri on Friday.  The Game yesterday was a near replay of the Oct 8 match we played vs South Carolina going 5 sets.  For some reason, we are being attacked by the injury bug.  Need improvement on our serve and return game.  At this point in the season teams know who has the most errors returning serves, so they get targeted.  Players who got my attention last night were Swanson with 6K and 10 or 11 blocks.  Thibault really appeared to hustle and had 23 digs (Slaughter and Morton out), Scheer with 24 kills.  We have away games next week with Georgia and BAMA.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, slot canyon said:

I was a bit surprised we lost a 3 set match vs Missouri on Friday.  The Game yesterday was a near replay of the Oct 8 match we played vs South Carolina going 5 sets.  For some reason, we are being attacked by the injury bug.  Need improvement on our serve and return game.  At this point in the season teams know who has the most errors returning serves, so they get targeted.  Players who got my attention last night were Swanson with 6K and 10 or 11 blocks.  Thibault really appeared to hustle and had 23 digs (Slaughter and Morton out), Scheer with 24 kills.  We have away games next week with Georgia and BAMA.  

Our serve receive was very bad during the South Carolina match. With that being said, injuries have taken an immense toll on our back line and I’m just glad we squeaked out the win with all the injuries we are dealing with. 

AU vs Georgia Volleyball 10/27/2023

Great comeback 5 set win for the tigers 22-25, 18-25, 25-23, 25-18 and 15-11.  The TV announcers included Nikki Chester who was a very good player at Georgia 92-95.  She did the "analysis" and I thought she had very good insight and unbiased.  Georgia was on a 3-match win streak with victories over Ol' Miss, TA&M and LSU.  AU had a continued problem with their serve/receive game in the first 2 sets but seemed to get more settled after set 2. Set 3 had 16 ties and 8 lead changes. Opponents seem to attack Anderson a lot on their serves, and it appeared to me that AU was "shading" her somewhat in some serve situations.  For Georgia, their great Middle Blocker Fisher had 16 kills while for AU Scheer continued her hot streak with 24.  I tend to overlook the contributions of Jackie Barret who had 46 assist and 12 digs.  Slaughter was back in the lineup but still have a couple out with injuries.  Play at BAMA on Sunday at 11. I believe game is on SEC network.

• Like 4

I had watched part of a BAMA game early in the SEC season and then a portion of another game about a week ago and was impressed with the improvement though they are yet to win an SEC game. They played well yesterday.  For AU, we continued to have too many serve errors.  Again, I thought Barret had very good game with 44 assist, 4 serve aces, 4 kills and 11 digs.  I believe Thibault has done a good job having been thrust into the libero rotation.  Appears to me that Slaughter has upped her game a notch.  Some tough matches coming up with Texas A&M and Kentucky.   Speaking of Kentucky, I watched a good bit of their game vs Arkansas last week.  Both teams are on a different level that the rest of the conference in my opinion.  Guess that's why they are ranked 1 & 2 in conference.

• Like 4

Another 5 et match win.  Our efforts at aggressive serving really seems to put us in a hole at times.  We had 18 serve errors and only 3 aces.  TAM had 11 SE and 10 SA.  We did dominate blocks, 12 - 4 and hitting % .320 - .188.  That set point in set 5 was a beauty with a perfect set by Barrett and perfect timed jump by Swanson for the kill.  Bell really got my attention.  She had 11 kills and .429 hitting %.  Some of her shot placements I thought were amazing.  Several times she was able to hit between the out-stretched hands of 2 defenders for a kill.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, VolleyMike said:

Awesome crowd Auburn family!  That is all I have to say about tonight’s game against KY.

Unfortunate they had to witness a beat down of epic proportions.  We got P'ed on; Kentucky was Polished, Precise and Poised.  Two closest sets lost by 11 point margins.  Total points for the 3 sets: Kentucky 75, AU 39.  Stats very lopsided as you can imagine but most revealing was Service Aces at 10 - 1.  Earlier in the season Alabama won a set in their match vs Wildcats.  Hope the team can psychologically recover from this set back.  I had no expectations of defeating Kentucky but hoped for a more competitive match.

• Sad 1

We seemed to serve better but our blocking was not up to par.  We were not able to block into the court and many blocks went out of bounds.  Usually a strong point for us but not this time.  Many times in the last couple of matches, we seem to be out of position defensively and the opponent is able to place the ball in a vacant spot.  I admit that I very little about the game but enjoy watching a good match.