Thoughts On J’Von?

Dual-Threat Rigby

I still think we'll have a solid 3-point game this season with Samir, Danjel, J'von, and some of the newcomers may surprise us. The added benefit is we'll be longer and therefore able to put the ball inside more as well. I'm looking for a more balanced attach that can speed up at times when it's beneficial, but also slow down and rely on defense to win games. Overall, I do think we'll play slower (as everyone has been stating), but I also think we'll still play fast when the game allows it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW @AUGoo Mark Murphy thinks AU will still be just as up tempo given the depth & athletes on the team. The O will just likely be different with more inside O instead of 3 point O.

I don’t think playing really good defense and playing slow are tied at the hip.  We played pretty good defense last year - mainly turning people over.  My guess is we’ll see less pull-up jumpers on turnovers and more traditional fast breaks.  We’ll run 10 or more guys on the floor all year.  Depth will be a strength so I’d assume we’ll still want to run tempo.  Particularly off turnovers.

ive heard CBP sing babatunde’s praises on defending high/low and Okoro ability to defend multiple positions.  A-Mac is athletic enough to defend multiple as well as doughty ... and I think a more in shape purifoy can defend a couple.  I’d assume turbo can also.

i think this team will be about high energy defense and fast breaks.

id assume our O will be a bit more balanced and traditional.  Maybe like 2 years ago but with more upside.

all the this from a guy who knows zilch!

edit: what E said but with more words ...

14 hours ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

I still think we'll have a solid 3-point game this season with Samir, Danjel, J'von, and some of the newcomers may surprise us. The added benefit is we'll be longer and therefore able to put the ball inside more as well. I'm looking for a more balanced attach that can speed up at times when it's beneficial, but also slow down and rely on defense to win games. Overall, I do think we'll play slower (as everyone has been stating), but I also think we'll still play fast when the game allows it.

From what i have been reading Jamal Johnson (memphis transfer) is one to keep an eye on when it comes to scoring and especially 3 point shooting. He had a couple games as a freshmen at memphis where he really got hot from 3 point land. 

6 minutes ago, gravejd said:

From what i have been reading Jamal Johnson (memphis transfer) is one to keep an eye on when it comes to scoring and especially 3 point shooting. He had a couple games as a freshmen at memphis where he really got hot from 3 point land. 

Question with him is how many minutes will he get though? Samir is starting at the 2. Flanigan is coming on as a back up, & there will be times J'Von & Turbo are on the floor together.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Question with him is how many minutes will he get though? Samir is starting at the 2. Flanigan is coming on as a back up, & there will be times J'Von & Turbo are on the floor together.

Why would JVon and Turbo be on floor at same time? Is one capable of playing the 2 with their shooting? I haven't looked at Turbo's resume in a while. 

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Why would JVon and Turbo be on floor at same time? Is one capable of playing the 2 with their shooting? I haven't looked at Turbo's resume in a while. 

Well why did Coach Pearl do it some last year with J’Von & Harper? Nobody expected it before it happened.  When it happened Harper definitely provided some scoring punch from the two spot. I don’t think Turbo is the prolific scorer Harper is but he has a good three-point ball and could be valuable as a two in some limited situations. Also I’m just passing it on from Mark Murphy that is a very real possibility to happen in some situations for what it’s worth.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Is the word that Flanigan is playing better than Jamal? That would be a surprise for me. I had flanigan pegged as more of a project. I knew he could shoot and had high b-ball IQ but i was expecting him to contribute more down the road. If he is beating out a guy who started as a freshmen for Memphis and is now 3 years removed from HS then I need to adjust my thinking on him. 

I currently have Jamal pegged as backup to Samir at the 2 and expect him to play ahead of Turbo and flanigan at that spot. 

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

Is the word that Flanigan is playing better than Jamal? That would be a surprise for me. I had flanigan pegged as more of a project

Have not seen them compared directly. Just seen that Flanigan has impressed since day 1. No word of him being a project. Only thing I've seen on Jamal is it may be tough for him to find minutes.

started as a freshmen for Memphis

Memphis wasn't too good that season. Didn't make the NCAA or NIT.

I currently have Jamal pegged as backup to Samir at the 2 and expect him to play ahead of Turbo and flanigan at that spot. 

Everything I've seen from insiders & AU reporters that have been at multiple practices has Flanigan ahead of Jamal.

CBP has been praising okoro playing multiple positions? Is there an article related to that? If so I'm going to send all my posts about okoro and chumma when they were in high school and see if I can get a recruiting or talent identifier gig with him

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Have not seen them compared directly. Just seen that Flanigan has impressed since day 1. No word of him being a project. Only thing I've seen on Jamal is it may be tough for him to find minutes.

Everything I've seen from insiders & AU reporters that have been at multiple practices has Flanigan ahead of Jamal.

Well i'll have to keep an eye out for young Flanigan in that case, i'm glad to hear he is doing so well!

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

CBP has been praising okoro playing multiple positions? Is there an article related to that? If so I'm going to send all my posts about okoro and chumma when they were in high school and see if I can get a recruiting or talent identifier gig with him

A cbp interview within the last week had coach state Okoro could guard all 5 positions and is threatening to start.

15 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

A cbp interview within the last week had coach state Okoro could guard all 5 positions and is threatening to start.

Been said often at a number of places FWIW. And not threatening to start. Fully expected to start at the 3.

23 hours ago, ellitor said:

Well why did Coach Pearl do it some last year with J’Von & Harper? Nobody expected it before it happened.  When it happened Harper definitely provided some scoring punch from the two spot. I don’t think Turbo is the prolific scorer Harper is but he has a good three-point ball and could be valuable as a two in some limited situations. Also I’m just passing it on from Mark Murphy that is a very real possibility to happen in some situations for what it’s worth.

The reason it happened last year is b/c Harper CAN play the 2, because of his long range shooting. We learned that early on w/ his 3 pointers from downtown from the PG spot.

I asked the question...remember? I don't know Turbo that well, as I indicated. If J'von can shoot the long range shot or Turbo can, then I can see Pearl doing it. I wasn't questioning you E...lol.

On 10/23/2019 at 2:14 PM, ellitor said:

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-basketball-coach-Bruce-Pearl-still-sorting-out-playing-rotation-137450918/

Good read on how the rotations are shaping up. Looking like Jamals experience has given him a leg up on the new comers. 

Im getting pretty pumped to see Okoro play. Sounds like a special player.

Glad to see CBP emphasize playing okoro at 3 as he's saying he wants him to defend guards, I know a while ago we had discussions on him playing 4 and I was hoping he wouldn't get placed at 4 and take away his natural advantages

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

Glad to see CBP emphasize playing okoro at 3 as he's saying he wants him to defend guards, I know a while ago we had discussions on him playing 4 and I was hoping he wouldn't get placed at 4 and take away his natural advantages

I think Pearl has enough big men with Wiley, Stretch, Mac and Williams that he doesn't need to play people out of position except when it gives us an advantage against a small team that doesn't have a big 4 on the floor.

33 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I think Pearl has enough big men with Wiley, Stretch, Mac and Williams that he doesn't need to play people out of position except when it gives us an advantage against a small team that doesn't have a big 4 on the floor.

Its nice to have the depth now that we don't have to force people to play roles outside of their skill set. I'm interested in the idea of playing Mac at the 4 spot. He doesn't have the isolation skills that Chuma had but if he can consistently hit his deep shots and regain some more of his pre-injury athleticism i think he can be an exciting player for us at that position. 

I just don't know if Mac has the perimeter ball skills to be effective at the 4 for us. We are most dangerous when our PF is a threat off the bounce IMO

On 10/23/2019 at 1:14 PM, ellitor said:

From the latest interview with Pearl, sounds like Jamal Johnson is ahead at this point, just b/c he played as a FR and was in Pearl's system while RSing. In the article, Flanigan is never mentioned. 

OFC all that could change once real games are played. It always changes when you see players in actual games, and see that they can elevate themselves.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I just don't know if Mac has the perimeter ball skills to be effective at the 4 for us. We are most dangerous when our PF is a threat off the bounce IMO

I agree, i don't know if he can play the 4 in our system. I think the lack of ball handling skills is what is keeping him from being able to. But i like that he is getting the opportunity. If he has any chance to make it in the NBA he will have to play the 4 spot and i would really love Mac to make an NBA team. 

58 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I agree, i don't know if he can play the 4 in our system. I think the lack of ball handling skills is what is keeping him from being able to. But i like that he is getting the opportunity. If he has any chance to make it in the NBA he will have to play the 4 spot and i would really love Mac to make an NBA team. 

I think there are 2 things that have to happen for Mac to play the 4. 

One, is if Stretch can give minutes to Wiley when he needs it and not hurt our offense. 

Second, Mac has to show he can do more than play the 5, which I think is all he has done all 3 years here. If Purifoy needs a breather or is in foul trouble, PEarl would hope that Mac can maintain the 4. If not, then Pearl needs one of the Freshman to eventually come through (Williams or Franklin)

57 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I really hope he can regain his former bounce. He's one of my favorite guys to watch. The way he added the 3 ball to his game was great and made us so hard to guard when he was running the 5. I'd love for him to make it to the NBA and what I'm about to say is not a way to disparage him but at the very least he's going to be an absolute problem in Europe if he can regain how quickly he gets off the floor. 

With how next level intelligent he is though he may find that he will make a lot of money doing something else. The kid has a lot going for him

Speaking of foul trouble... We finally have the bodies in the front court to counter our aggressive D that will inevitably lead to some foul trouble. We had it last year with Wiley/Horace/Mac all able to play the 5 adequately. This year swap Babatunde for Horace. It feels nice after years of being screwed if a big got 2 quick ones early in a game

Archived