Thoughts On J’Von?

Dual-Threat Rigby

18 hours ago, gravejd said:

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-basketball-coach-Bruce-Pearl-still-sorting-out-playing-rotation-137450918/

Good read on how the rotations are shaping up. Looking like Jamals experience has given him a leg up on the new comers.

Yup. I would have come here to own up to my mistake last night if I wasn't working at the time. This is literally the 1st positive report on Jamal all Summer or Fall but it does come from the most important source, Bruce. Lol

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/24/2019 at 11:44 AM, steeleagle said:

The reason it happened last year is b/c Harper CAN play the 2, because of his long range shooting. We learned that early on w/ his 3 pointers from downtown from the PG spot.

I asked the question...remember? I don't know Turbo that well, as I indicated. If J'von can shoot the long range shot or Turbo can, then I can see Pearl doing it. I wasn't questioning you E...lol.

I didn't say nor imply you were questioning me. Was just giving a thorough answer with a worthwhile example.

6 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I think Pearl has enough big men with Wiley, Stretch, Mac and Williams that he doesn't need to play people out of position except when it gives us an advantage against a small team that doesn't have a big 4 on the floor.

Danjel is playing the 4 too FWIW.

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

I just don't know if Mac has the perimeter ball skills to be effective at the 4 for us. We are most dangerous when our PF is a threat off the bounce IMO

Per Mark Murphy Mac has improve his ball handling a lot over the Summer FWIW.

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

From the latest interview with Pearl, sounds like Jamal Johnson is ahead at this point, just b/c he played as a FR and was in Pearl's system while RSing. In the article, Flanigan is never mentioned. 

OFC all that could change once real games are played. It always changes when you see players in actual games, and see that they can elevate themselves.

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

One, is if Stretch can give minutes to Wiley when he needs it and not hurt our offense. 

Stretch is not expected to help on offense this season. Any impact he has this season on O would be considered a bonus. His role is to help on D. The key for him getting minutes is not getting in foul trouble much & being the defensive presence he is expected to be.

On 10/26/2019 at 9:16 AM, AUpreacherman22 said:

After reaching the final 4 last year, I am coming in this year with lower expectations.   I think we’ll be competitive, and hopefully get our youngins ready for next year.   

Its just nice to feel like we have a shot you know? I don’t expect another Final Four either but at least its not the Barbee/Lebo years.

I think J'von will do a good job filling Harper's shoes. I think he will play with his own style, which will include more penetration in isolations and off pick and rolls. This will create passing and put back opportunities for our athletic wings and front court. I was pretty high on him as a back up last season, and he came through with several key stretches in games where he was the best player on the floor. He has his flaws, but I think he will be set a good temperment on the court and has shown he will not panic if things aren't going well. 

On a few other topics raised in this thread, I would be surprised if we slowed the tempo down much. I'm sure we won't take as many transition three balls, but with the type of players we recruited and return, we aren't going to suddenly turn into a half court set team. I surely hope not at least. As mentioned previously, Wiley can help us run by rebounding and outleting the ball, not all 5 guys have to be fast down the floor to get out on a break.

I also don't think we will see much of J'von and Turbo both on the court together. Last year we were forced to do that because we didn't have the bodies at the 3 spot we needed, so that left Brown without a true backup at the 2. If Purifoy or Dunbar were able to be a true 3 man, Samir would have been the primary back up at the 2 and then also probably backed up the 3 spot. This season while we are younger, we have more bodies at the 3, Okoro, Flanigan, as well as Samir and Purifoy if needed. 

Archived