most players in the XFL

AUght2win

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Opinion: I'm not into alternate leagues as history & tradition are a HUGE part of the appeal to me.  However, I usually give them a try at the beginning, at least....just in case.  But with no emotional ties to any team (nor league) due to no historical significance or pleasant memories, they just turn out to be off-season scrimmages when I'm emotionally invested in the "correct" seasonal sports.  That's why Fall or Winter league baseball has no TV following or these Instructional basketball leagues, etc.  The only true year-round sport that maintains TV viewership (that I can think of) is golf....and that's only because it has it's own channel.

Question:  Is this actually tied to the NFL, like the WLAF (sorta like a minor-league) or it's own, separate, entity, like the USFL or original XFL?  Just curious if the players get any support from the NFL for this.  Seems like in the WLAF days, players were actually part of NFL teams (practice squads, etc) and were sent to WLAF teams, like a minor league.

No . Not tied to the NFL and doesn’t need to be. That is pretty much why that other league failed. They were hoping the NFL would take them on as a minor league and it didn’t come to fruition and had no true money to pay anyone.

However, I am of the mindset that the NFL should jump at something like this as this would be forward thinking. Roger would never do it . This is something Adam Silver would do. Let these college guys leave and play in the XFL and have them be draft eligible around the same time of their junior years. Just my opinion. They already want to get paid as it is. I would love to see what someone like Trevor Lawrence could do at a league like this. 

Never intended this thread to be anything other than a flyer for the chance to watch former Auburn players play football again. And actually play, not be stuck on a practice squad or purely special teams. I am sure the league will fold as they all do. However, the XFL has taken its time in planning this league out, and Andrew Luck's Dad (former AD at WVU and experienced sports exec) has been overseeing it. 

Personally, I LOVED the old XFL. I was 11 at the time. The uniforms, colors, nicknames on jerseys, they were all so unique. I kinda hate that they've gone with such bland team names and ideas this time around. 

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Never intended this thread to be anything other than a flyer for the chance to watch former Auburn players play football again. And actually play, not be stuck on a practice squad or purely special teams. I am sure the league will fold as they all do. However, the XFL has taken its time in planning this league out, and Andrew Luck's Dad (former AD at WVU and experienced sports exec) has been overseeing it. 

Personally, I LOVED the old XFL. I was 11 at the time. The uniforms, colors, nicknames on jerseys, they were all so unique. I kinda hate that they've gone with such bland team names and ideas this time around. 

You loved the old XFL?! Haha interesting. There was some ridiculous concepts is what I could remember. 

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

You loved the old XFL?! Haha interesting. There was some ridiculous concepts is what I could remember. 

I loved the boldness and creativity. Honestly, with looking at everybody's weird-ass uniforms now and all these alternates, the XFL was before its time. And they actually did a much better job of non-traditional uniforms, in my opinion. All the colors really popped on screen, too. 

I actually went to a Bolts game and still have a jersey. Bostic was their runningback. But my favorite uniforms/concepts were the Orlando Rage and the Memphis Maniax. Just LOOK at Memphis! Teal, black, red, and yellow? Literally having an ax-murderer with crazy eyes as your logo? Loved it.

gu17mz59fcq21.jpg

52 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

5976716527_d2c727ec5f.jpg

This helmet was a thing of beauty. Again, way before its time. 

Yes!!! Loved it. Looked like a San Diego Charger had a head on collision with a Michigan Wolverine. 

This version probably succeeds solely because Birmingham has no team in it 😞. They had very good teams in the old WFL and USFL and the local support was better than most teams. Unfortunately the leagues folded around them. Went to see the Vulcans and Stallions quite a few times. Fun times. The leagues had some big time names with Csonka, Kiick and Warfield from the Dolphins SB team, Joe Cribbs and Hershel Walker. They were draws when they came to your city. 

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

I'm sorry, but if you can't get behind that fire logo for the St Louis Battlehawks, then something is wrong!

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm sorry, but if you can't get behind that fire logo for the St Louis Battlehawks, then something is wrong!

It's the best of the bunch but it's all reaaaaally bland. Somebody described it best as "these all look like relocation teams on Madden".

There are 8 teams. One is the "Defenders". One is the "Guardians". BORRRRRING. 

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Fire logo? I've only seen the one with the wings. 

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Fire as in sweet

Lol

12 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I was at the first Bham XFL game, when Legion Field ran out of beer and people literally rioted in the concourses.

*perk*       :bananadance:

22 hours ago, Mims44 said:

..... I bet you are awesome to have at parties.

I keep forgetting that reality has no place on this website.

#XFLU

18 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Never got behind a sport because of uniforms

I have...

f406d326ad61395c1f4a779cd03ac912.jpg

4 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I keep forgetting that reality has no place on this website.

#XFLU

A2E coming in with the number 1 excuse used by debbie downers world wide :lol: 

Archived