Kentucky - Preview

JwgreDeux

Alright folks the marquee game of the year is upon us. UK is a talented group, but they are not going to overwhelm us with size and athleticism. 

Kentucky is very similar to us in. That they score from 2, draw fouls and rebound well. They don’t shoot it well or play at a fast pace, but they do a good job of moving the ball and getting good looks. Hagins is obviously talented, but their big Richards has been playing well and could be a real issue. 

Matchup-wise, Hagins will be the most difficult challenge to defend. Richards may get Wiley more playing time to match his size. When McLemore is in though Richards may not feel comfortable guarding on the perimeter, so it will be interesting to see how CBP wants to matchup.   

We need to rebound well, move the ball more and limit turnovers. We need a positive assist to turnover ratio today. We are also the better outside shooting team and could use some made threes early. free throws will be important as both teams will likely get a lot of attempts. Which will also make managing foul trouble crucial. 

Jvon is likely the key to this game. He needs to not try to do too much and to limit his TOs. A line like 9pts, 6assist, 2 TOs and 2 rebs would be nice. 

we need to push the pace. UK likes to play slower and we are at our best (movement-wise) when we play fast and free. 

We do not need our best game to win this one,  but Jvon and Samir can’t be the ones that hurt us early. Purifoy ciuld also be a key player. He needs to defend and his shot making could be the difference if he can get going. 

What does CBP do with matchups is the most intriguing aspect of this one to me 

War Eagle!!!!

I think their starting 4 and 5 in perfect health is EJ and Nick correct? I think in that situation Purifoy is going to have to be the second X factor (behind Jvon), if we’re going to open up the lane or tire EJ out. I know Purifoy is supposed to be defensively improved and a situation where we depend on his strength in the post versus his foot speed on the perimeter is preferable, but that is a HARD matchup. 

we could very easily get in foul trouble last year and there isn’t a Spencer to help with that this time. I think, hope and believe all of this is being relayed to our bigs as well

Key to this game for me is can we handle the pressure Hagans will put on the guards. If we are struggling to get the offense started all game then this is over. If we can manage his defense and have some flow to out offense then we’ll make enough shots to win. We may struggle to contain their Montgomery and Richards but I don’t think that wins Kentucky the game

2 hours ago, AURex said:

Thanks for your thoughts, JwgreDeux. BTW -- it's Hagans.

I blame spellcheck 😉

Win or lose. Proud of our guys tonight. They look like they belong tonight. Everybody playing hard with no fear and executing.

On 2/1/2020 at 1:25 PM, JwgreDeux said:

Alright folks the marquee game of the year is upon us. UK is a talented group, but they are not going to overwhelm us with size and athleticism. 

Kentucky is very similar to us in. That they score from 2, draw fouls and rebound well. They don’t shoot it well or play at a fast pace, but they do a good job of moving the ball and getting good looks. Hagins is obviously talented, but their big Richards has been playing well and could be a real issue. 

Matchup-wise, Hagins will be the most difficult challenge to defend. Richards may get Wiley more playing time to match his size. When McLemore is in though Richards may not feel comfortable guarding on the perimeter, so it will be interesting to see how CBP wants to matchup.   

We need to rebound well, move the ball more and limit turnovers. We need a positive assist to turnover ratio today. We are also the better outside shooting team and could use some made threes early. free throws will be important as both teams will likely get a lot of attempts. Which will also make managing foul trouble crucial. 

Jvon is likely the key to this game. He needs to not try to do too much and to limit his TOs. A line like 9pts, 6assist, 2 TOs and 2 rebs would be nice

we need to push the pace. UK likes to play slower and we are at our best (movement-wise) when we play fast and free. 

We do not need our best game to win this one,  but Jvon and Samir can’t be the ones that hurt us early. Purifoy could also be a key player. He needs to defend and his shot making could be the difference if he can get going. 

What does CBP do with matchups is the most intriguing aspect of this one to me 

War Eagle!!!!

Well, feel like this one went according to script. I did expect better shooting at home, but any time these teams meet, it is going to be an ugly physical game. We out Kentucky'd Kentucky. We were more physical, we dominated the rebounding, and we were more explosive in transition. Great win. J'von didn't give quite the stat line I hoped for but he was close with 4 pts, 4 assists, 5 rebs, and only 1TO. On top of that, he played some of his best defense of the year. As a team we had only 9 assists, but we had that positive margin with only 7 TOs. We also limited UK to only 8 assists vs 12 TOs. 

The story of this game was rebounding. I said we needed to rebound well, but I couldn't have imagined we would out rebound UK 42-28!!!!!! This was a team-wide effort with 9 players collecting more than 1 rebound, and Wiley leading the way with 10. 

We never got into a flow in this game, partly because of all the fouling, but we did continue to try and push the pace. 

Also, Samir finally looked like his old self. Getting going early and being stronger with the ball on his drives. We didn't get much from the bench offensively, but everyone contributed on defense and on the boards. 

Big W! War Eagle!

Archived