Iowa caucus

AUwent

5 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

It's pretty crazy.  Also, how do we not just have straight voting in Iowa instead of this convoluted system?

What is convoluted about it?

14 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

As of now, you and I are tied with both Biden & Bernie. 🍻

And I'm declaring victory. See you in New Hampshire,  losers. 

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

Too late! Mayor Pete claimed it last night!

Yeah well he can buzz off. My claim is no less valid. 

So 62% of precincts are about to be reported.

Just to get out ahead of it, I won the other 38%. 

4 hours ago, alexava said:

What is convoluted about it?

You vote for who you like.  But if that person doesn't get a certain percentage the first time, then you can change to another candidate during realignment that same night.  And then, Iowa rewards delegates in the oddest way possible so the person who gets the most support may not get the most delegates.  Oh and let's not forget that it only happens between 6-9pm so a bunch of people can't participate because they have family obligations.

Basically, caucusing is stupid.

39 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

You vote for who you like.  But if that person doesn't get a certain percentage the first time, then you can change to another candidate during realignment that same night.  And then, Iowa rewards delegates in the oddest way possible so the person who gets the most support may not get the most delegates.  Oh and let's not forget that it only happens between 6-9pm so a bunch of people can't participate because they have family obligations.

Sheyet. Then they’ll have to start over?

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Googled the difference in caucus vs primary this morning. "Confusing" seems to be the word describing caucus. Thanks, caucus sounds like a lot fun if your drinking beer.

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Golf is easier to learn than this s***.

3 hours ago, alexava said:

Sheyet. Then they’ll have to start over?

No.  It's all done this go around.  But the state needs to move to a primary system of one vote all day like just about every other state.  It's way more democratic.

9 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Golf is easier to learn than this s***.

What's hard? He's a PBR chugging, senile old man that smells like icy hot and moth balls

8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

No.  It's all done this go around.  But the state needs to move to a primary system of one vote all day like just about every other state.  It's way more democratic.

New Hampshire is the first Primary, Iowa has to the be a caucus state or lose its first in the nation to NH.

14 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

A perfect compliment to our electoral college system. ;)

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

New Hampshire is the first Primary, Iowa has to the be a caucus state or lose its first in the nation to NH.

But....why?  Tradition?  Who's to say that can't change?

And it doesn't change my opinion that the entire caucus system in Iowa is stupid.

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

Caucusing was how Iowa got ahead of NH. 

I'm aware.  It doesn't answer the big why.  Basically, why can't this change?  There's nothing specifically holding either party back from holding other primaries first or forcing the state into a primary system instead of a caucus for choosing and distribution of delegates.

13 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm aware.  It doesn't answer the big why.  Basically, why can't this change?  There's nothing specifically holding either party back from holding other primaries first or forcing the state into a primary system instead of a caucus for choosing and distribution of delegates.

I was listening to a podcast this morning, "Stuff You Should Know" I believe, and if I understood it correctly, there is some sort of legal standard to it. Iowa has to "Caucus" in order to be first in the political process, which they desperately desire, and New Hampshire is the first to vote (primary). 

10 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I was listening to a podcast this morning, "Stuff You Should Know" I believe, and if I understood it correctly, there is some sort of legal standard to it. Iowa has to "Caucus" in order to be first in the political process, which they desperately desire, and New Hampshire is the first to vote (primary). 

It's a state law in New Hampshire that they have to be first.  One state's law has no bearing on what a national party or parties choose to do.  Hell, another state could make their primary January 1st and completely bypass New Hampshire if it chose to.

19 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

It's a state law in New Hampshire that they have to be first.  One state's law has no bearing on what a national party or parties choose to do.  Hell, another state could make their primary January 1st and completely bypass New Hampshire if it chose to.

Well, Iowa did the diplomatic thing and did caucuses. 

Archived