Men vs Ole Miss Game Thread

Maverick.AU

17 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

So I've already accepted we are going to get our asses kicked Saturday at rupp. Not even going to get upset or mad. Kentucky is the hottest team in the country right now along with Kansas. 

We will eventually win again at rupp for the first time since 88 in Bruce's tenure but this team def is not the one that will get it done.

Good breakdown Gwill and glad to see another realistic fan. I look for us to get run out of the gym Saturday. Unless something weird and phenomenal happens in our favor, look for another road loss.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Probably trying not to jump more than necessary right now?

Nice to have a game with a little less drama but I would like to see us separate ourselves a little more from lesser teams. Feels like we're starting to see some dividends from our commitment to rotating the bench into the game. We have some fun young bucks.

Yeah I agree, I wish we could put away the lesser teams too. But at this point I think our team just plays to our competition mostly. Hopefully that trend continues in Rupp!

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I feel like Purifoy is still their best defensive option out of Jaylin or DC at the 4, and that's what helps him. He's also a better...looking... shooter than Mac, which I mean form shouldnt decide why you play someone, but both of them have been getting rushed out of their spots with good close outs as of late, so I guess you'd take the dude with the quicker trigger there. Plus Im sure DP is getting some extra burn to ensure he's in shape after the flu and all that. He hasnt looked good in a while, but his shot has opened up quite a few important games in the past so you have to have him ready 

Jaylin plays with energy, something Purifoy doesn't always do -- but has gotten better at this year. And Jaylin right now basically just got thrown into the fire and will make freshman mistakes that Bruce is seemingly afraid of as Danjel was getting the crunch time minutes. There also is the aspect of Bruce trying to keep Danjel engaged and not let him get in the dumps mentally as he runs very hot and cold generally. IMO he probably wants to keep that fire lit under Danjel and keep him locked for the stretch run. Also you're right D is not Jaylin's strength and that's what was keeping him on the bench for the first 80% of the season. I'm just happy we can get something on O off the bench (outside of Mac) with Jaylin and now Cambridge starting to bring it. I've soured on Jamal big time. Al Flan is a nice defender so I'm patient with his O.

1 hour ago, triangletiger said:

Is Jaylin Williams going to be our new, improved Malik Dunbar?

He certainly gives us a shot in the arm which is what Malik was great at! We are missing that type of punch off the bench, especially if Mac is off from 3.

15 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Good breakdown Gwill and glad to see another realistic fan. I look for us to get run out of the gym Saturday. Unless something weird and phenomenal happens in our favor, look for another road loss.

agree. I think we will have that 'get pretty far behind' situation, and when we hope to see that run where they feverishly come back to make it a game.....It never happens and we get waxed, like most of our other trips to Rupp.

No OT this game...and it's not that we aren't playing better but that as you said KY is playing way way much better.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

agree. I think we will have that 'get pretty far behind' situation, and when we hope to see that run where they feverishly come back to make it a game.....It never happens and we get waxed, like most of our other trips to Rupp.

No OT this game...and it's not that we aren't playing better but that as you said KY is playing way way much better.

I expect AU to fling a ton of threes. If they fall in rates that we haven't seen all year, they will stay in it. If they fall like they have been...

giphy.gif

15 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I like 24 wins, but that figure is a bit deceptive. For the first 60 years of AU basketball, they didn't even play 24 games. The NCAA tournament field used to be eight teams. No, AU never made it and not many others did either. The 58/59 team was 20-2, final ranking #8 and the 59/60 team was 19-3, final ranking #11 and neither one was in a post-season tournament.

That's not to downplay Bruce's great accomplishments, but Marcello is comparing apples to oranges with this one.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/auburn/

I do think that this year is BP's best job as a college coach. He literally willed them to win. Man, how I would love to see him with Green, Kuminga and Big Cliff, to go with Williams,Powell, DC,Al, Moore and Cooper next year

7 hours ago, triangletiger said:

Is Jaylin Williams going to be our new, improved Malik Dunbar?

I fully expect him to be more a starter than a “energy boost off the bench” guy. Malik was perfect for that role for sure, but I think Jaylin is on a different level. Yes, I know you said new and improved and I agree. :) 

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

I like 24 wins, but that figure is a bit deceptive. For the first 60 years of AU basketball, they didn't even play 24 games. The NCAA tournament field used to be eight teams. No, AU never made it and not many others did either. The 58/59 team was 20-2, final ranking #8 and the 59/60 team was 19-3, final ranking #11 and neither one was in a post-season tournament.

That's not to downplay Bruce's great accomplishments, but Marcello is comparing apples to oranges with this one.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/auburn/

Marcello blocked me or I would have pointed that out to him. He’s a delicate 🌸.

23 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

I fully expect him to be more a starter than a “energy boost off the bench” guy. Malik was perfect for that role for sure, but I think Jaylin is on a different level. Yes, I know you said new and improved and I agree. :) 

Don't forget, Dunbar was a starter in our last 12 games last year.

2 hours ago, BigSammyK said:

Don't forget, Dunbar was a starter in our last 12 games last year.

Huh, I did not realize that then I don’t guess. 

Archived