HomeSchooling Help for the Harried and Hopeless!

ToraGirl

Hi, all! This is a place for AUFamily educators to drop tips and links for all who find educating your children added to your new world order. Although social media is saturated with humorous memes about this "new normal", this is intended to be a deposit-spot for ideas and strategies to help you avoid losing your sanity as you learn new reasons to love your littles...of all ages. Use or skip...but know you're not alone. Truly, this, too WILL pass.

Two Weeks of Easy Science Experiments:

https://www.mkewithkids.com/post/here-are-two-weeks-worth-of-fun-and-easy-science-experiments?fbclid=IwAR2WLTX4vh5ZQMtYR-hyV5zJQBqp9tGUm42is1tXzUfCRq3CeH1dbuCH48I

Free Virtual Field Trips! 

https://freedomhomeschooling.com/virtual-field-trips/

Crayola Coloring Pages...I use this often...great geography resource, and who doesn't like to color? Look under PLACES. 

https://www.crayola.com/featured/free-coloring-pages/

Teaching Remotely...Scholastic Interdisciplinary Ideas

https://classroommagazines.scholastic.com/support/learnathome.html

FB_IMG_1584644388763.jpg

FB_IMG_1584644339559.jpg

More "#others-&-out-of-the-box". Love these!

FB_IMG_1584644361137.jpg

FB_IMG_1584644997731.jpg

I have a better idea.  I'll send the girls to your house to teach them.  Lol. Your classes look fun anyways.  😁

Our school, is starting Monday with remote curriculum packets for the girls to work online.  It also means we still pay tuition 🤨

8 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I have a better idea.  I'll send the girls to your house to teach them.  Lol. Your classes look fun anyways.  😁

Our school, is starting Monday with remote curriculum packets for the girls to work online.  It also means we still pay tuition 🤨

Oh, wow. Our system has ideas in place when our Spring Break (BRAKE) is officially over, but our fearless leaders at the highest levels are uber sensitive to inequity/accessibility issues, and I can't blame them. Our state superintendent's own children are in our system. That's an interesting feeling.

Well in the midst of the packets...here are more science experiments. 

Just started my own grad class online for GiftedEdCert last night. My price has gone up. 🤣😁

https://mommypoppins.com/kids/50-easy-science-experiments-for-kids-fun-educational-activities-using-household-stuff?fbclid=IwAR0vYnNqUmkKrV5mev8DaqcXIgW5GTcggAWVyUW8A8pXAWRZxvA1wiOegqA

@ToraGirl, so my wife had been working diligently this week working on on-line classwork for her Kindergartners. Of course as you know the plans change daily because of the uncharted waters we are in. One of the problems she is facing is that she has some students who don't have the luxury of the internet at home. Not sure how that will all work out for her or them. She'll figure it out because you don't put a wall in front of my wife that she can't climb, break down or go around if she has too. I love that about her and the kids are lucky to have her. I've told you before but wanted to say it again. Thank you for all you do for your students. I don't think I told my children's teachers near enough when they were in school. 

43 minutes ago, gr82be said:

@ToraGirl, so my wife had been working diligently this week working on on-line classwork for her Kindergartners. Of course as you know the plans change daily because of the uncharted waters we are in. One of the problems she is facing is that she has some students who don't have the luxury of the internet at home. Not sure how that will all work out for her or them. She'll figure it out because you don't put a wall in front of my wife that she can't climb, break down or go around if she has too. I love that about her and the kids are lucky to have her. I've told you before but wanted to say it again. Thank you for all you do for your students. I don't think I told my children's teachers near enough when they were in school. 

You're welcome! Oh, she will! We about ta BREAK THRU that ceiling of education as we know it! Tell her, be encouraged. She will reach most, and the BRAKE has its upside in prioritizing the most important things for us all. Most fams have access to a Smartphone or friends that do. Lemonade forever!! Hug her for me! 

These two vids from a talented trio will teach all ages. I run them in every one of my weekly newsletters. Virtual travel the world with me...dare ya to be still. Well, you won't. Djibouti! ☺🤣😁

This will date a lot of us...but what a perfect segue to crossgen conversations! Nothing like "Conjunction Junction"! 

My daughter-in-law is having a rough time during her home schooling experience.  She has three kids at home right now, two have been suspended for fighting and one teacher was fired for drinking on the job.

Teachers, truck drivers, healthcare workers, researchers, postal/package folks, farmers, leaders bearing the weight as decisions are made...and criticized...in all arenas...lots of unsung...it takes a village.

Today I made my first "school run" for "enrichment supplies." The order hasn't yet reached our system to cease return...we can ninja-in and out. I (and AU son) were the only ones there. Had to also rescue the plants.  Like the incredible Facebook post that's circulating, teachers just thought we were going home for Spring Break. We are grieved, we miss "our" babies, and of course, we pray that ALL OF their homes will be the "safe spaces" thay they are used to knowing in our care.  And that their bellies are full even if their conversations aren't. 

The ideas won't stop. Will I do my "snail mail letters" with garden seeds and a SASE for the babies to write back? What about my letter bag vids to continue phonics? Dot paint to teach arrays for budding multiplication? Step by step cursive? Maybe recording new stories for daily storytime? Will I review money and time, or will we go where none of us has been yet so that whatever gaps bound to occur will be less when the all-clear is given? The drive-by greetings from a distance are percolating for the next 45-minute commute opportunity...that will take some maneuvering, but it excites me the most. Maybe the phone call check ins...

Decisions, decisions. Know we educators also are grieving everyone's "new normals." ❤🦋🙌

20200214_121159.jpg

My daughter said if we see her talking to herself, not to worry. She is having a parent/teacher conference. 😎

20 minutes ago, WarTim said:

My daughter said if we see her talking to herself, not to worry. She is having a parent/teacher conference. 😎

Sounds like me

2 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Decisions, decisions. Know we educators also are grieving everyone's "new normals." ❤🦋🙌

20200214_121159.jpg

Edited by ToraGirl

Happy looking group of students you have there. The little fellow on the end of the third row isn't smiling... probably didn't want to wear that shirt he got for Christmas. :big:

Seriously though they look like a terrific class of children. 

For those who like (or now need) to "Move it, move it." 

FB_IMG_1584982139170.jpg

IMG_2677.jpg

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

For those who like (or now need) to "Move it, move it." 

FB_IMG_1584982139170.jpg

Hopefully this is for the first name only. If it includes the last name my children and I would have been in trouble. 

A couple of things I recycled and adapted...for printing out if desired...

CoronaActivities.docx

Today, our school--teachers and staff who desired/could--did a drive-by parade through the neighborhoods in our community. If we thought we'd never be the same before, we didn't know the half of it. God is so good. And love lives on...

20200323_161738.jpg

20200324_094713.jpg

20200324_130053.jpg

20200324_130705.jpg

One of the best perspectives I've seen yet. Breathe!

https://www.facebook.com/100000889201013/posts/3097314753641468/

FB_IMG_1585157117716.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

ABSOLUTELY LOVE ❤️ THIS: 

With the rest of the school year cancelled, students will  miss 2 to 2.5 months of education. Many people are concerned about students falling behind because of this. Yes, they may fall behind when it comes to classroom education...

But what if...

What if instead of falling “behind", this group of kids are ADVANCED because of this?   Hear me out. 

What if they have more empathy, they enjoy family connection, they can be more creative and entertain themselves, they love to read, they love to express themselves in writing.

What if they enjoy the simple things, like their own backyard and sitting near a window in the quiet. 

What if they notice the birds and the dates the different flowers emerge, and the calming renewal of a gentle rain shower?

What if this generation are the ones to learn to cook, organize their space, do their laundry, and keep a well run home?

What if they learn to stretch a dollar and to live with less? 

What if they learn to plan shopping trips and meals at home. 

What if they learn the value of eating together as a family and finding the good to share in the small delights of the everyday?

What if they are the ones to place great value on our teachers and educational professionals, librarians, public servants and the previously invisible essential support workers like truck drivers, grocers, cashiers, custodians, logistics, and health care workers and their supporting staff, just to name a few of the millions taking care of us right now while we are sheltered in place?

What if among these children, a great leader emerges who had the benefit of a slower pace and a simpler life to truly learn what really matters in this life?

What if they are AHEAD? 🙏🏼🏡♥️🏫

Archived