Colorado Treasurer steps down to serve in Iraq

TexasTiger

Don't know much about this guy...He's a Republican who considered running for Governor and then congress. But a few politicians could learn a few things from him.

Coffman steps down as treasurer, will go to Iraq

State Treasurer Mike Coffman announced Thursday he will return to the U.S. Marine Corps and go to Iraq.

Coffman will step down as treasurer before reporting for active duty next month. He said he'd like to return to the state treasurer post when he returns, possibly in March 2006.

"This was an extremely difficult decision for me," Coffman said in a news release. "I had to choose between whether to continue serving Colorado as the State Treasurer or serving the nation by returning to the Marine Corps and going to Iraq."

Coffman will go to Iraq as a major in the Marines. He will be in civil affairs, helping Iraqi public officials move forward with their government.

"I know my skills and training are needed in Iraq," Coffman said. "I can make a positive difference and help bring democracy and stability to the people of Iraq."

During the first Gulf War in 1990-91, Coffman took an unpaid leave from the General Assembly to voluntarily return to the Marine Corps, where he saw combat as an infantry officer. Coffman retired from the Marine Corps Reserve in 1994.

Coffman was first elected state treasurer in 1998; he was re-elected in 2002.

http://denver.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/2005/05/02/daily54.html

Archived