Sports Viewership

RunInRed

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kneeling during the national anthem, putting the logo of a Marxist group on the fields and courts and players being allowed to put the name of a career criminal and accused rapist on their helmets has certainly lost my viewership. Their glorifying of criminals while insulting America has very much ruined the experience of watching pro sports for me. I'm done with all three major professional sports unless and until they issue a public apology for their actions and such apology isn't likely to be forthcoming.

Rodeo is still looking good, however. My Dishnet TV package has some good rodeo channels. Then there are always reruns of Law & Order. Alternatively, I can paint a board and watch the paint dry. That's better than watching a bunch of millionaires whine about criminals being treated like criminals.

So far, the colleges haven't ruined the viewing experience for me and millions like me. Lets hope they keep it that way.

View from my couch:

1. I was surprised at how little I missed sports after a few weeks had gone by, and found other things to do...and I think there are lots of people that feel this way. I feel like I've detoxed, in a way. MLB did themselves no favors by the way they handled negotiations for playing (they have extensive experience in poor optics, granted), and I think a lot of us said "F it, I'm going fishing/walking/jogging/woodworking/whatever" and haven't come back.

2. I did try to watch for a bit, mainly to see how I would react. I don't like the absence of a crowd at a game even when I'm watching on TV. I just couldn't get past the "fakeness" of the piped-in noise and the cardboard cutouts. It felt like watching practice.

Sports has been, for me, a way for me to wind down after a long day/long week at work. When it isn't enjoyable to watch, I stop. It isn't enjoyable right now. When I'm able to attend again, I'll see how it goes.

3. I'm a "check your politics at the workplace door" guy, right, wrong or indifferent. When I am at school, I teach my subject and that's it...no political commentary, veiled or direct, from me. I think I'm becoming an anachronism in that regard, but that is OK with me.

Sporting events have lost some of that separation, and for the professionals, that is their job. 

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

... and players being allowed to put the name of a career criminal and accused rapist on their helmets has certainly lost my viewership.

Not familiar with whose name they're putting on their helmets, and on face of it I agree with you. However, I would like to point out that you plan on voting for an accused rapist.

1 hour ago, Leftfield said:

Not familiar with whose name they're putting on their helmets, and on face of it I agree with you. However, I would like to point out that you plan on voting for an accused rapist.

I think @SLAG-91 got the jist of it. Not everyone views athletes who embrace the BLM movement as a bad thing, but most people simply lost their viewing habits during the pandemic. People in general found other things to occupy their time, which means there's going to be some inertia to overcome to go back to old habits. I myself cancelled my YoutubeTV because live sports was one of the biggest reasons to have it in the first place (also they've raised the price by like 60% since I started using it). Depending on how no audience Auburn football looks I might jump in on some sort of ESPN+ bundle.

I've always found it hypocritical for folks who don't like teams praying or injecting religion into sports doing a 180 turn around and approving of and endorsing political movements being injected into sports.

Fans have a right to vote with their feet. If sports wants to inject politics into their games and shove it down the throats of fans, then the fans have a right to reject it and not attend or watch it. Like Slag-91 said, this pandemic has already altered the viewing habits of sports fans. With either no fans or a limited number of fans in attendance at the games, it's already hard to maintain interest. And now on top of that you have all the sports leagues now pushing political movements, it's not going to make those fans want to tune back in and watch an already less exciting event.

12 hours ago, Leftfield said:

I was being mild by merely calling Blake an accused rapist. Accusations are cheap. There are accusations and then there are charges:

"Records reveal Blake was arrested in 2013 in Round Lake Beach for criminal trespass to a vehicle and arrested in 2012 in Zion, Ill. for domestic battery, endangering the life and health of a child and driving under the influence

Blake is currently facing a rape charge in Kenosha.

A warrant was issued for Blake’s arrest on July 7 on felony 3rd degree sexual assault, disorderly conduct and criminal trespass, all related to domestic abuse." Link: https://lakecountygazette.com/stories/549300062-jacob-blake-man-shot-in-kenosha-had-long-history-with-lake-county-law-enforcement

This isn't the hero whose name should be taped onto NFL helmets.

On 9/12/2020 at 11:21 AM, Leftfield said:

also a thief who had his charity shut down by the feds for stealing money from cancer kids and the V.A. and his folks could care less.

On 9/12/2020 at 11:21 AM, Leftfield said:

So are you

It's hard to watch sports with no fans in the stands. The piped in noise does nothing for me as a fan. I can't imagine how it must feel as a player. Must feel like a bit like a glorified practice.

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

I was being mild by merely calling Blake an accused rapist. Accusations are cheap. There are accusations and then there are charges:

"Records reveal Blake was arrested in 2013 in Round Lake Beach for criminal trespass to a vehicle and arrested in 2012 in Zion, Ill. for domestic battery, endangering the life and health of a child and driving under the influence

Blake is currently facing a rape charge in Kenosha.

A warrant was issued for Blake’s arrest on July 7 on felony 3rd degree sexual assault, disorderly conduct and criminal trespass, all related to domestic abuse." Link: https://lakecountygazette.com/stories/549300062-jacob-blake-man-shot-in-kenosha-had-long-history-with-lake-county-law-enforcement

This isn't the hero whose name should be taped onto NFL helmets.

you miss the point dude. they are pointing out no one deserves to get shot seven times in the back with two police officers grabbing his shirt. fair laws should apply to everyone period. from what i read the man actually tried to help someone who was getting hurt and was shot for it. he was breaking up a fight.............

i will never believe biden raped anyone. and how many people have accused trump now 42? but here is the deal............IF Biden did then he needs to pay. many do not care if trump is guilty or not and are ok with it.

53 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i will never believe biden raped anyone. and how many people have accused trump now 42? but here is the deal............IF Biden did then he needs to pay. many do not care if trump is guilty or not and are ok with it.

Well, of course you won't. Believe women, unless it has to do with your candidate right? People apparently didn't care if Clinton was guilty. Some don't care that Kennedy was unfaithful in the WH. 

49 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Well, of course you won't. Believe women, unless it has to do with your candidate right? People apparently didn't care if Clinton was guilty. Some don't care that Kennedy was unfaithful in the WH. 

why actually yes i did care about clinton. i also know several women were paid off to testify against clinton by your party. i doubt clinton assaulted anyone by force. remind me johnny did anyone ever prove clinton forced himself on anyone? tell me were you upset when trump was paying off hookers because i do not remember you ever saying anything remotely like that. clinton was a horndog but did anyone every prove assault? or rape? and the guy pushing all that crap and is the father of dirtier politics was ol newt. and he did the same thing. hell he cheated on one wife who was going through cancer treatments,etc if i remember correctly. but what happened should have been between him, his family, and god. and the reason i dislike hillary is because she was putting out huge money to shut people up. if i was bill and was busted i would probably lie to protect my family and i believe most people would do that. but here is the difference between our parties. if bill did assault women he should have been thrown under the jail. trump supporters do not care and do not hold their own folks to the same standard they hold those across the aisle. prove me i am wrong. you guys give trump a pass on everything so i am not even sure you are qualified to make comments concerning this. it is always dems guilty and repubs were set up or paid by others. how many thousands of people has trump killed because of his handling of covid? i mean he is on tape and caught redhanded and yet you guys believe he was sincere.....lol. have fun with that.

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

you miss the point dude. they are pointing out no one deserves to get shot seven times in the back with two police officers grabbing his shirt. fair laws should apply to everyone period. from what i read the man actually tried to help someone who was getting hurt and was shot for it. he was breaking up a fight.............

No, just no. I don't know what you have been reading. "The Atlantic"? Blake refused to obey police instructions and was said to be reaching for a knife located under the seat of his car when shot. Here's one link, google "Blake reaching for knife" to see dozens more, including pictures. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wisconsin-ag-says-jacob-blake-was-near-knife-single-officer-n1238288

A repeat felon with an arrest warrant out on him for rape refusing to obey orders and reaching for something in his car? I'd have shot him too. How many times doesn't matter. You shoot until the target goes down. Don't want to get shot multiple times, go down after the first shot.

24 minutes ago, Mikey said:

No, just no. I don't know what you have been reading. "The Atlantic"? Blake refused to obey police instructions and was said to be reaching for a knife located under the seat of his car when shot. Here's one link, google "Blake reaching for knife" to see dozens more, including pictures. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wisconsin-ag-says-jacob-blake-was-near-knife-single-officer-n1238288

A repeat felon with an arrest warrant out on him for rape refusing to obey orders and reaching for something in his car? I'd have shot him too. How many times doesn't matter. You shoot until the target goes down. Don't want to get shot multiple times, go down after the first shot.

people on the scene dispute what the police are saying. i am sure not all of them were felons or wanted............

29 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Mikey, lose the "belittle the source" schtick.  If you don't like something one of them says, combat it with a factual rebuttal.  Otherwise, I'm over you thinking dissing sources serves as a response.

It's especially idiotic when of all the sources to try and dismiss, you seem so hung up on The Atlantic, which is one of the better, more factually accurate news sources out there.

Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 4.55.23 PM.png

Left-center and rated high for factual reporting.  Any time you can stay between Left-center and Right-center and have high factual reporting or better, you're rock solid.  Maybe if you read something other than the handful on knothead rags you rely on for information, you'd know that.

Bottom line, this is the forum for grown ups.  If you want to debate like a child, stick to the smack talk one.

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Bottom line, this is the forum for grown ups.  If you want to debate like a child, stick to the smack talk one.

My opinion of The Atlantic differs from yours and that site's.

Is the balance of my post, the pertinent part, ( complete with a link and instructions for how to see more links) suitable for this forum or does it also belong in Smacktalk?

17 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

people on the scene dispute what the police are saying. i am sure not all of them were felons or wanted............

I provided one link and told how to access many others, including videos. People on the scene invented the "Hands up, don't shoot" lie after the incident in Ferguson, Missouri. Remember that?

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

My opinion of The Atlantic differs from yours and that site's.

"That site" extensively reads, fact checks, pays attention to loaded phrasing and the percentage of stories written that support one side of the political spectrum vs the other.  Your opinion is based on the vapor and the fact that you barely read anything that doesn't affirm what you already think.  Stamping "my opinion" on something doesn't inoculate it from critique and it needs to be based on something other than your feelings.

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Is the balance of my post, the pertinent part, ( complete with a link and instructions for how to see more links) suitable for this forum or does it also belong in Smacktalk?

Next time, stick to rebutting things on the facts here and spare us the near constant whining about other people's sources.

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Next time, stick to rebutting things on the facts here and spare us the near constant whining about other people's sources.

Just for the sake of clarity, aubie50 didn't cite The Atlantic as a source, so I wasn't attacking his source. He had no source in that post. Was I attacking The Atlantic? Certainly. I've never seen anyone except anti-Trumpers cite The Atlantic but I've seen plenty of them cite that publication. Thus my opinion. 

In any case, in the future my comments about The Atlantic will be limited to the smack talk forum, as per your request.

6 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

from what i read the man actually tried to help someone who was getting hurt and was shot for it. he was breaking up a fight.............

You are mistaken. The 911 call came from the woman who lived there and said he was in her house, unwanted, and trying to steal her keys. The police arrived having been advised while en route Blake had felony warrants for sexual assault, DV, and trespassing. The police arrived, he began to fight and he was tased. He was able to break free and told the police he was “going to get his gun”. This seems eerily similar to the Mike Brown situation. A criminal fighting with the police is being made a hero. 

Archived