Sports Viewership

RunInRed

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Yeah, not using timeouts there was a head scratcher.

He did the same thing on three different occasions last year.  The guy is awful at game management.

5 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

He did the same thing on three different occasions last year.  The guy is awful at game management.

Y'all made Henry earn every one of those 116 yds.  Took 31 carries to get there.

I would be curious to see viewership numbers rather than opinions. People in this country can vote with their wallets and eyeballs to create the changes they want. 

3 minutes ago, jared52 said:

I would be curious to see viewership numbers rather than opinions. People in this country can vote with their wallets and eyeballs to create the changes they want. 

Best opening weekend in the NFL in 4 years or something like that. 

This happens all the time. Happened with Kaepernick. All of these people make a big noise about boycotting (would love to see the Venn diagram of them and those who hollered 1A when folks were boycotting Chick-Fil-A) and the NFL just keeps on cruising. 

Now... if they ever shut down fantasy football... 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Probably had more to do with not having football for 9 months due to Covid than anything else. The desire to replace the loss in watching sports ended up greater than the desire to boycott for some of those who were most adamant.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This happens all the time. Happened with Kaepernick. All of these people make a big noise about boycotting (would love to see the Venn diagram of them and those who hollered 1A when folks were boycotting Chick-Fil-A) and the NFL just keeps on cruising. 

Now... if they ever shut down fantasy football... 

And there you go, all the more reason for the NFL to promote those views to get more eyeballs. Case closed for me.

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

Probably had more to do with not having football for 9 months due to Covid than anything else. The desire to replace the loss in watching sports ended up greater than the desire to boycott for some of those who were most adamant.

Well, we didn't miss any football, except CFB opening weekend and NFL preseason. We did miss other sports, but those had all already resumed. 

People who might have been watching at bars- a dozen TV screens for a couple hundred people vs a hundred TV screens- and people who would have been at the games might be a factor. 

Either way, those ad dollars are going to keep on rolling in.

Lordy, I bet those people with holes in their Nike socks still feel stupid. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Well, we didn't miss any football, except CFB opening weekend and NFL preseason. We did miss other sports, but those had all already resumed.

We missed Spring ball in its entirety. We missed March Madness. Football has been delayed. We can't even attend the games.

It's a cumulative effect.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

People who might have been watching at bars- a dozen TV screens for a couple hundred people vs a hundred TV screens- and people who would have been at the games might be a factor. 

Either way, those ad dollars are going to keep on rolling in.

Lordy, I bet those people with holes in their Nike socks still feel stupid. 

Why would they? If they chose not to watch because they didn't want to see or hear players, coaches, organizations, and announcers support something they (the Nike sock hole people) don't believe in then they should feel like they honored their word of not supporting the NFL. If they said the NFL would fold from lack of viewers, then yes, that would be dumb. I don't think the majority of Americans are as political as many think they are. It's probably why voter turnout for presidential elections (the one that turns out the most voters) is 60% or less of voting age Americans.

9 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Why would they?

Sorry. You're right. There's not really any connection to current circumstances.

But people who cut holes out of clothes they paid money should feel silly for any number of reasons.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Sorry. You're right. There's not really any connection to current circumstances.

But people who cut holes out of clothes they paid money should feel silly for any number of reasons.

I did it for a presentation on slave labor for speech class at AU. It was Nike too. Felt good. :D

Mea culpa. Turns out the ratings for this past weekend were pretty bad. Not historically so by any means, but not nearly as good as I thought. Don't remember what I saw/misinterpreted that made me think otherwise.

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Mea culpa. Turns out the ratings for this past weekend were pretty bad. Not historically so by any means, but not nearly as good as I thought. Don't remember what I saw/misinterpreted that made me think otherwise.

Couple of things:

1) Sports ratings tend to drop during election years.  ESPN radio host Dan LeBetard flat out said on the air this week that every four years, ESPN ratings go down across the board.  Article below from 2016 is a good read.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nelsongranados/2016/11/02/will-nfl-tv-viewers-tune-back-in-after-the-presidential-election/

2) It's completely plausible that the same amount of people are watching sports, but not as many tuned into the NFL.  This year is unique in that the NBA and NHL playoffs are both happening during the start of football season.  The sports viewing landscape is more fragmented than usual.

Viewership numbers include all the people who tune in for the game but skip all the pregame crap. Doess anyone actually *listened* to any of these current divas squeal out the national anthem? Certainly not me. I tune in for the game and skip all that preliminary political crap. Just gimme the football.

11 hours ago, AURex said:

Doess anyone actually *listened* to any of these current divas squeal out the national anthem?

I listen to the anthem frequently, because it's frequently not squealing divas. I'd say even usually. And sometimes I even listen to the squealing divas out of curiosity. I don't gamble, but it's almost like a prop bet. "Will the anthem suck tonight?" A frivolous- and sometimes beautiful- form of entertainment before the game. 

Archived