Sports Viewership

RunInRed

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Just for the sake of clarity, aubie50 didn't cite The Atlantic as a source, so I wasn't attacking his source. He had no source in that post. Was I attacking The Atlantic? Certainly. I've never seen anyone except anti-Trumpers cite The Atlantic but I've seen plenty of them cite that publication. Thus my opinion. 

Thus why your opinion on the matter is worthless. 

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

In any case, in the future my comments about The Atlantic will be limited to the smack talk forum, as per your request.

Not just The Atlantic.  Rebut with facts in this forum, not attacking sources you don't like.

Watched the Patriots and Cam.  Watched some of the Bucs-Saints.  Watching the Cowboys-Rams now.  Will be tuned in tomorrow night to watch my Titans play the Broncos.  I enjoy sports.  I don't care who's politics are what, if they express them verbally, whether they sit, stand or kneel.  It's football and I'm going to enjoy it.

11 hours ago, Grumps said:

The Aholes are out tonight!

I did watch Cam today, but intentionally did not watch any other NFL games.

I'll miss watching Cam a time or two every year. However, the actions of the NFL itself and some players have cast a pall over the game for me. I just finished re-reading "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn". I have an entire bookshelf of classics that will better occupy my Sunday afternoons, should the weather force me inside.

On 9/12/2020 at 3:05 PM, Auburnfan91 said:

I've always found it hypocritical for folks who don't like teams praying or injecting religion into sports doing a 180 turn around and approving of and endorsing political movements being injected into sports.

Then I trust you find people who approve of prayer and religion but not politics to be similarly hypocritical? 

11 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Watched the Patriots and Cam.  Watched some of the Bucs-Saints.  Watching the Cowboys-Rams now.  Will be tuned in tomorrow night to watch my Titans play the Broncos.  I enjoy sports.  I don't care who's politics are what, if they express them verbally, whether they sit, stand or kneel.  It's football and I'm going to enjoy it.

Yesterday was absolutely awesome. We gave the Patriots and the Falcons the two-TV treatment. Ate cajun food and drank Oktoberfests. Had the 4 o'clock game on while we did stuff around the house. Put the kids to bed and watched (fell asleep to) the night game in bed.

Fortunately watching a lot of soccer the last month got me ready for the no fans thing.

The networks all did great jobs with the broadcasts, although the Saints game had the worst piped-in crowd noise I've heard in 2020.

I've been trailing off non-Auburn college ball for a long time, and that's very unlikely to change this season. But I am extremely grateful for soccer and NFL, and I'll squeeze in some NBA playoffs, too, if I can. (Baseball... snooze.) 

12 hours ago, Grumps said:

The Aholes are out tonight!

I did watch Cam today, but intentionally did not watch any other NFL games.

Sucks for you.  Bears/Lions, Jags/Colts, Bengals/Chargers, 49ers/Cardinals, Raiders/Panthers, and Cowboys/Rams were all very entertaining.

12 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Thus why your opinion on the matter is worthless. 

Not just The Atlantic.  Rebut with facts in this forum, not attacking sources you don't like.

You often attack sources you think are biased. 

19 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

You often attack sources you think are biased. 

When I attack a source that's biased or just plain bad at being accurate, I don't just say "Pffttt.  Breitbart.  No one trusts them" (though no one should). I point out that organizations that spend a great deal of time fact-checking and paying attention to how various places demonstrate biases to give an objective evaluation of them rate them as not only right or left-biased, but that they have a bad track record in terms of factual accuracy.  And then I also offer evidence of their inaccuracy from other, more reliable sources of news.

This isn't a forum for posting screeds from your favorite right or left wing propaganda page and acting like they deserve the same level of respect and seriousness as something from Reuters or The Wall Street Journal.  And I'm not just picking on the Breitbarts of the world either.  If someone thinks that posting something from Alternet can stand on its own as trustworthy, I'll hammer that too.  It's just that those who lean Democrat on here don't tend to pull things from unreliable rags like Alternet, Daily Kos, or Raw Story and act like that suffices as an argument to take seriously.  It's the conservatives here that rely on such crap sources more often than not.

I'm sorry if that hinders your ability to put forth an argument, but I'm not asking anyone here to do anything I'm not doing myself.

If I watch any professional sports at all this season, it would be the Titans or Preds, and I'll tune in after the anthem. 

I've always been more of a college sports fan anyway. This year is a bust on both accounts though as a fan. You can't go to the games and enjoy the atmosphere, and the crowd noise is piped in and hollow. It's like watching a glorified closed scrimmage. I'll stomach that with college, but not with pro sports. It's way too over-hyped to begin with.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Then I trust you find people who approve of prayer and religion but not politics to be similarly hypocritical? 

Sure

On 9/12/2020 at 3:05 PM, Auburnfan91 said:

I've always found it hypocritical for folks who don't like teams praying or injecting religion into sports doing a 180 turn around and approving of and endorsing political movements being injected into sports.

Hey, if athletes want to get on their knees and pray during the national anthem, I'm okay. There was no huge national revolution when TeeeeBo was kneeling and praying, no huge display of anger for YEARS when huge numbers of football players (including Black players) thank the lord for their touchdown or dunk. But if minorities express their unhappiness with the way they are treated in this country, they are vilified.

There is a simple solution to this entire issue. There is NO REASON to inject politics and nationalism into our ordinary sporting events. Just eliminate playing the national anthem and marching around with flags from the game. It has not always been there. No good reason to do this. It would eliminate the problem at the root. Sports is not a political event.

On 9/12/2020 at 9:17 AM, Mikey said:

Kneeling during the national anthem, putting the logo of a Marxist group on the fields and courts and players being allowed to put the name of a career criminal and accused rapist on their helmets has certainly lost my viewership. Their glorifying of criminals while insulting America has very much ruined the experience of watching pro sports for me. I'm done with all three major professional sports unless and until they issue a public apology for their actions and such apology isn't likely to be forthcoming.

Rodeo is still looking good, however. My Dishnet TV package has some good rodeo channels. Then there are always reruns of Law & Order. Alternatively, I can paint a board and watch the paint dry. That's better than watching a bunch of millionaires whine about criminals being treated like criminals.

So far, the colleges haven't ruined the viewing experience for me and millions like me. Lets hope they keep it that way.

Well said. I have seen a big outcry on social media and in the news media that people are fed up with the indoctrination of kneeling during the anthem. Athletes have made their point. It's now up to the fans to accept or reject their message. We are sick of getting social and political views shoved down our throats. We want sports to be sports again and not social platforms. Play ball! Or we continue to cause pro sport popularity to decline!

12 hours ago, AURex said:

Hey, if athletes want to get on their knees and pray during the national anthem, I'm okay. There was no huge national revolution when TeeeeBo was kneeling and praying, no huge display of anger for YEARS when huge numbers of football players (including Black players) thank the lord for their touchdown or dunk. But if minorities express their unhappiness with the way they are treated in this country, they are vilified.

There is a simple solution to this entire issue. There is NO REASON to inject politics and nationalism into our ordinary sporting events. Just eliminate playing the national anthem and marching around with flags from the game. It has not always been there. No good reason to do this. It would eliminate the problem at the root. Sports is not a political event.

Hear, hear.

1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

Sports should be a respite for the daily barrage of politics from news outlets and social media.  Keeping the two infused is harder to watch than the Titans kicking game...

It's literally a minute or two at the beginning of the game.  Go to the fridge and get a beer or something and come back and enjoy.  There's no need to allow a difference of opinion to ruin sports for you.

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It's literally a minute or two at the beginning of the game.  Go to the fridge and get a beer or something and come back and enjoy.  There's no need to allow a difference of opinion to ruin sports for you.

It isn't ruining sports, it's just unnecessary. One can tune in after the anthems right at kickoff. 

3 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

It isn't ruining sports, it's just unnecessary. One can tune in after the anthems right at kickoff. 

Or that.  But ding dongs that refuse to watch at all because they don't like the way some people express their opinions is what I'm getting at.

Archived