Game 1: Offensive Line Blocking for the Run

shabby

I also like to qualify my posts with the following: "I know very little about the schematics of football"

But after rewatching the game I was actually rather pleased with the performance of the line. I was initially concerned that the line wasn't getting any push on run plays. Looking at the game again It seemed like the line rarely missed a block. pulled blockers to support the run and actually held their blocks well. That said it seemed almost every play had 8 Kentucky players in the box. I think Auburn has the capacity to have a good run game but Not sure if the problems this past weekend was lack of line push or simply being outmanned in the box on running plays. How do you adjust play calling to deal with that?

33 minutes ago, shabby said:

I also like to qualify my posts with the following: "I know very little about the schematics of football"

But after rewatching the game I was actually rather pleased with the performance of the line. I was initially concerned that the line wasn't getting any push on run plays. Looking at the game again It seemed like the line rarely missed a block. pulled blockers to support the run and actually held their blocks well. That said it seemed almost every play had 8 Kentucky players in the box. I think Auburn has the capacity to have a good run game but Not sure if the problems this past weekend was lack of line push or simply being outmanned in the box on running plays. How do you adjust play calling to deal with that?

The offensive line had a pretty mixed day. They did surprisingly well pass blocking. You are right that they did load the box a decent amount, but the OL still struggled a bit in run blocking. It should be noted though that we only ran it 30 times compared to 27 passes, and a few of those runs were Bo Nix scrambles. Kentucky did a really good job possessing the ball for long periods of time. I'm not sure our OL really had a chance to get going in the run game. Run blocking will need to look better though or we have a few losses on our schedule. 

I haven't analyzed it at all, but I know on various unsuccessful run plays, I looked at the OL and there were 2 or 3 each time that were not engaged in a block at all - did not have a body on anyone. Why I don't know, but I noticed it on more than one occasion. They did show some good signs - especially considering all new guys pretty much and no spring. Bicknell has a tough job for sure.

One thing i saw when watching the game is that several times it was the DL on the opposite side of the play crashing in and disrupting the run play. So usually that is on the backside tackle to get a hat across that guy. Its a hard block to make though if the DE is crashing hard. Expect uga to hit gaps hard to disrupt the read option running game we have. We'll need to do some counters and QB bootlegs to slow that DL down some. 

The fact that we only ran 57 plays (and won by double digits) is amazing. The run game was pathetic- no way around it. We have to be able to mix it up and run the ball against Georgia or we will lose. We are not Miss State. Hahah that is a weird statement. 

Not too worried about the run game. The passing game need to be successful and everything else will take care of itself. We’re a passing team now. Pass to open up the run 

12 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

The fact that we only ran 57 plays (and won by double digits) is amazing. The run game was pathetic- no way around it. We have to be able to mix it up and run the ball against Georgia or we will lose. We are not Miss State. Hahah that is a weird statement. 

We're definitely not Mississippi State....they can actually beat LSU

Archived