This is who I’m voting for....

wdefromtx

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

@wdefromtx what's your favorite in Houston?

The Pit Room is pretty good. Although, my favorite isn’t a restaurant. One of the club investors does the HLSR cookoff every year and his team has won it a couple of times. That was hands down the best I’ve had. 

How about you? 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also have to admit that I'm a convert.  I still love pork bbq (gonna make a butt this weekend and turn the leftovers in Brunswick Stew).  However, you haven't eaten right until you get Wagyu beef ribs and brisket.  It's like buttery, smoked heaven.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Also have to admit that I'm a convert.  I still love pork bbq (gonna make a butt this weekend and turn the leftovers in Brunswick Stew).  However, you haven't eaten right until you get Wagyu beef ribs and brisket.  It's like buttery, smoked heaven.

Mmmmm!!! Wagyu beef!! image.gif

39 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

However, you haven't eaten right until you get Wagyu beef ribs and brisket.  It's like buttery, smoked heaven.

PROVE IT!!!!

How about next year when Auburn comes to play A&M and this pandemic is hopefully over....us locals will prove it with real ribs and brisket!! 

3 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

How about next year when Auburn comes to play A&M and this pandemic is hopefully over....us locals will prove it with real ribs and brisket!! 

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Proper beef ribs should look something like this.  The key is making sure you get the internal temp correct and keeping the outside moist during the cooking process.  Novices will cook them like steaks.  Nope.  Need them to get to around 200° internal so the fat renders properly.

IMG_20200614_152126.jpg

IMG_20200614_152137.jpg

Yeah ..what I had looked nothing like that lol. ...the first time was some dry thin shaved weird textured, almost tasteless stuff you had to drown in BBQ sauce....it was at a BBQ joint that didn't last long.the 2nd time was in a more trusted sreakhouse type restaurant that had it as a "special".  That looked a little better, it just tasted like really stout bacon. It was a little too much....I've had a few places recommended to me near here, but haven't yet. I feel like I gotta wait til I'm in Texas someday to give it another go! Lol

2 hours ago, SaturdayGT said:

Yeah ..what I had looked nothing like that lol. ...the first time was some dry thin shaved weird textured, almost tasteless stuff you had to drown in BBQ sauce....it was at a BBQ joint that didn't last long.the 2nd time was in a more trusted sreakhouse type restaurant that had it as a "special".  That looked a little better, it just tasted like really stout bacon. It was a little too much....I've had a few places recommended to me near here, but haven't yet. I feel like I gotta wait til I'm in Texas someday to give it another go! Lol

You should definitely wait until you get to Texas to do it properly.  Rule of thumb here: if the bbq needs sauce, it ain't worth a damn.

7 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

You should definitely wait until you get to Texas to do it properly.  Rule of thumb here: if the bbq needs sauce, it ain't worth a damn.

Kinda like the pulled pork here haha!

11 hours ago, SaturdayGT said:

Not sure where you are, but if you're ever in ATL try Fox Brothers. Big boys from Texas. They're legit. They even have Frito pie in the bag on the menu (with no-bean brisket chili). I'm sure a lot of folks from Texas have places back home they like better but I can't imagine they'd turn their noses up completely.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Not sure where you are, but if you're ever in ATL try Fox Brothers. Big boys from Texas. They're legit. They even have Frito pie in the bag on the menu (with no-bean brisket chili). I'm sure a lot of folks from Texas have places back home they like better but I can't imagine they'd turn their noses up completely.

Can confirm.  Fox Bros is ridiculously good.

1 hour ago, SaturdayGT said:

I have been hearing a lot about this place near where I live....

http://thesmokinpigsc.com.s3-website-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/

Im hearing thats about the best place for brisket in SC

Of course they're all upstate. Grr. Also in upstate SC: the pimento cheese Chick Fil A sandwich.

I'm actually in Charleston for a few hours. Went to Rodney Scott's. Legit. Almost more NC than SC style with the vinegar sauce but still its own thing. Would love to go back with a group and try more of the menu. (Read: the wings)

53 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Of course they're all upstate. Grr. Also in upstate SC: the pimento cheese Chick Fil A sandwich.

I'm actually in Charleston for a few hours. Went to Rodney Scott's. Legit. Almost more NC than SC style with the vinegar sauce but still its own thing. Would love to go back with a group and try more of the menu. (Read: the wings)

Ive never been to Rodney Scotts, but man, a good vinegar based BBQ sauce is my thing! I would never give mustard based sauce a chance, but since I have, its been climbing up the ladder as well.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

A little tidbit we lived in Goose Creek for a few years

Ive never been to Rodney Scotts, but man, a good vinegar based BBQ sauce is my thing! I would never give mustard based sauce a chance, but since I have, its been climbing up the ladder as well.

Make your own vinegar sauce.  Super easy.

Distill down some apple cider vinegar

Add salt, pepper, dried onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes to taste into the pot once it hits a rolling boil.

Let simmer for about 10-15 minutes 

20 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

A little tidbit we lived in Goose Creek for a few years

Where the hell have you *not* lived??

We almost moved to Charleston a few years ago. Wasn't my fault that we didn't but my wife still gets mad at me for it. Nice place to visit.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Make your own vinegar sauce.  Super easy.

Distill down some apple cider vinegar

Add salt, pepper, dried onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes to taste into the pot once it hits a rolling boil.

Let simmer for about 10-15 minutes 

Actually, I stand corrected....you...and a guy here at work just made me realize....I think the sauce Ive always liked is the Georgia (vinagar/ ketchup based)........Now this sauce you are talking about sounds like close to a sauce I had a local place called Buckeys BBQ. They have a hot pepper vinegar sauce, but they use jalapeno and Habanaro.....its spicy, but not near as bad as it sounds. I mix it in with the tomato based sauce. I know it also has red pepper flakes as well.  Its friggin incredible though!!....goes great on not just BBQ, but on side vegetables too. I may just use your recipe with a touch of the peppers and see what happens. Ive been trying to find something similar in stores, and no luck.  ...May give that a shot this weekend! haha

52 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Where the hell have you *not* lived??

We almost moved to Charleston a few years ago. Wasn't my fault that we didn't but my wife still gets mad at me for it. Nice place to visit.

Great place to visit for history, architecture, seafood and of course golf lots and lots and lots of playing golf back in early 90's. Back then there was a big gap with the blue bloods/old money and Geechees. Not for me long term to live there back then. Hope its better today.

Actually, I stand corrected....you...and a guy here at work just made me realize....I think the sauce Ive always liked is the Georgia (vinagar/ ketchup based)........Now this sauce you are talking about sounds like close to a sauce I had a local place called Buckeys BBQ. They have a hot pepper vinegar sauce, but they use jalapeno and Habanaro.....its spicy, but not near as bad as it sounds. I mix it in with the tomato based sauce. I know it also has red pepper flakes as well.  Its friggin incredible though!!....goes great on not just BBQ, but on side vegetables too. I may just use your recipe with a touch of the peppers and see what happens. Ive been trying to find something similar in stores, and no luck.  ...May give that a shot this weekend! haha

So the sauce I just described is very Eastern North Carolina.  It's actually pretty tangy with a slight kick.  I love it.

My favorite low key sauce that many have never tried is Kentucky Black sauce.  It's different, but SO good.  They primarily use it on BBQ mutton, but it's damn fine on pulled pork too.

Archived