Sean Connery RIP

Tigermike

Sean Connery, the Oscar-winning Scottish actor who first brought James Bond to the big screen, died on Saturday at the age of 90. Over a career that spanned six decades, Connery also co-starred in films like Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, The Untouchables, The Hunt for Red October and The Rock.

RIP  Sean Connery

I still think he was the best Bond, and his early Bond movies were the perfect blend of camp, rough-edged bravado, and British posturing. Great fun. Almost as much fun as the Avengers TV series.

Connery hated the 007 character, hated the Bond movies, and hated the fame that came with it all. HOWEVER, he did like the money, which is why he came back for the last two movies He much preferred his Highlander role, and his many roles later in life.

He was also not particularly bright, largely uneducated, and not off-the-cuff articulate. (I saw him on a late show one night and was taken aback. Certainly not the suave, sophisticated,well-spoken image created by his movies.)

He worked at a hundred odd jobs in his youth -- manual labor things -- and was a body builder (finished 3rd in Mr Universe competition one year). And actually, although he had done a bit of theater and TV, he only got the Bond role because the director's wife nagged him continually saying "The ladies will really like him."

But as a movie fan, I loved his early Bond movies and also a lot of his lesser known films from later in life -- Rising Sun, his voice role in Dragonheart, Medicine Man, Hunt for Red October, Finding Forrester, The Russia House. He was a fine actor and created an excellent body of work.

4 hours ago, AURex said:

I still think he was the best Bond, and his early Bond movies were the perfect blend of camp, rough-edged bravado, and British posturing. Great fun. Almost as much fun as the Avengers TV series.

Connery hated the 007 character, hated the Bond movies, and hated the fame that came with it all. HOWEVER, he did like the money, which is why he came back for the last two movies He much preferred his Highlander role, and his many roles later in life.

He was also not particularly bright, largely uneducated, and not off-the-cuff articulate. (I saw him on a late show one night and was taken aback. Certainly not the suave, sophisticated,well-spoken image created by his movies.)

He worked at a hundred odd jobs in his youth -- manual labor things -- and was a body builder (finished 3rd in Mr Universe competition one year). And actually, although he had done a bit of theater and TV, he only got the Bond role because the director's wife nagged him continually saying "The ladies will really like him."

But as a movie fan, I loved his early Bond movies and also a lot of his lesser known films from later in life -- Rising Sun, his voice role in Dragonheart, Medicine Man, Hunt for Red October, Finding Forrester, The Russia House. He was a fine actor and created an excellent body of work.

Impressive take

Archived