Theological liberals and conservatives

TitanTiger

Liberal ideals assume that all people are honest and trustworthy and ignore the fact that many people will manipulate the system for their monetary gain.  I suppose that is the reason that most of us who were idealistic and quite "liberal" at 18, have realized over the years that it does NOT work in the real world and have been converted to the side that is labeled "conservative"

I suppose uninformed libruls may turn into uninformed "conservatives." Most people, however, who become more conservative do so because they have become more fearful.

162863[/snapback]

No, Tex. We just grow up and realize that people almost never change. You can be as great a guy as yuo want to be. THere will be someone standing in line, ready to screw your generosity over time after time, usually while holding a "Will work for Food" sign.

162898[/snapback]

Okay, so your fear is that you will be screwed because of your generosity.

Again, however, this comes back to all the assumptions that are made about the folks to which you attach the label "liberal".

162909[/snapback]

It is not a fear, it comes from working with a Rescue Mission here in N AL.

163043[/snapback]

Okay, so your fear is based on what you drew from that experience.

163090[/snapback]

Once more, It is not a fear, it comes from working with a Rescue Mission here in N AL. It is from ACTUAL experince, with actual people. IT is no fear at all, it is reality.

The worst abusers were the "Will Work For Food" scam artists. Almost all Rescue Missions have jobs available on demand. Ours has work immediately available literally next door to the resacue mission paying about 8-10 bucks an hour or more. The WWFF teams will come in, refuse to work, there is no talking to them. The WWFF sign is to get around any panhandling arrests. They of course, almost all, 90%+, do not want to work at all. There is actually a very small percentage that will work, those that recently lost a job etc. The vast majority make a very good living roaming from town to town plying on local sympathies. RMs usually only let them stay for 3 days at any one time. If the town was a good take, they would go to the local Holiday Inn or Ramada until the locals wised up. They often make as much as $35-40K a year. Almost all of them owned very late model cars and trucks and were very clean. These folks almost never had a drinking problem, and never had drug problems. They were just panhandlers for a living and some did pretty well for never having to work at anything. If you asked them, they would tell you that they had a bad back, shoulder, etc. I never saw one with any real ailment other than a lazy @$$.

While at the rescue mission, we would work our tails off on someone with an addiction getting them dried out, and back to work. Then some blue haired do-gooder would come by and give them cash and they would be at the nearest dealer or liquor store in minutes and smashed in an half hour. Warm and fuzzies kept enabling these poor people because they would give them cash instead of giving it to the workers there and let them control the $$$.

While I totally understand "GOOD INTENTIONS" the reailty is that "The path to Hell is paved with GOOD INTENTIONS."

163114[/snapback]

You can be as great a guy as yuo want to be. THere will be someone standing in line, ready to screw your generosity over time after time, usually while  holding a "Will work for Food" sign.

So this is why you're "conservative"?-- whatever that means. Okay. Some fears may have a rational basis. I'm hardly naive. I've never given to someone with a "work for food" sign. I don't have much "trust" in strangers with signs. I like to know exactly where my money is going. So how are we different?

Archived