If Gus isn’t fired tomorrow, AU is a loser institution

Swamp Eagle

7 hours ago, jAUSon said:

It isn't. Nobody faults anyone for being optimistic. Ever. It's the optimistic folks pissed at the rest of the world that knows good and well that an arse-whoopin is coming. Show me an optimistic poster that didn't indict the rest of the forum, and I'll show you a guy that has been given no grief about his opinion.

guy 1: "I like our chances"

guy 2: "we're gonna get killed"

guy 1: "you're negative I hate this board"

next day

guy 1: "everybody is giving me a hard time"

There are people like that.  What we are seeing at this time though are the two extremes meeting.  It is fairly common after a game the extremes on both sides come out.  It’s the same principle that you have to take online reviews (of any product, service, or company) with a grain of salt because the majority of people posting are posting on one extreme or the other.  Those that are truly in the middle typically aren’t driven by emotion to post directly after a game.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

personally i hate the title of this thread. auburn stands for a lot more than sports and for many of us fans part of our heart. also i believe most of us are ready for a change that we have no control over. i will never drag auburn in the mud ever. i love them enough to hang on until a change does come. one thing you can bet is i will not be starting threads bashing my beloved auburn. some of you do not love auburn you just love winning. and i think it is sad so many of you miss the whole point about auburn anyway.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

There are people like that.  What we are seeing at this time though are the two extremes meeting.  It is fairly common after a game the extremes on both sides come out.  It’s the same principle that you have to take online reviews (of any product, service, or company) with a grain of salt because the majority of people posting are posting on one extreme or the other.  Those that are truly in the middle typically aren’t driven by emotion to post directly after a game.

No they just usually don't want to inquire the wrath of the extreme people. People in the middle really want to talk football so bad but they search for others. 

The people in the middle catch more wrath than anybody because they see the game for what it is and they are the first to see things the extreme people want to hear. It's a guarantee people in the middle will get accused of being extreme by everyone

9 hours ago, jAUSon said:

It isn't. Nobody faults anyone for being optimistic. Ever. It's the optimistic folks pissed at the rest of the world that knows good and well that an arse-whoopin is coming. Show me an optimistic poster that didn't indict the rest of the forum, and I'll show you a guy that has been given no grief about his opinion.

next day

That's the base of it. No matter how people try to dress it the board is if you don't go with the popular positive driven ideal you will be bombarded for it. 

55 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

personally i hate the title of this thread. auburn stands for a lot more than sports and for many of us fans part of our heart. also i believe most of us are ready for a change that we have no control over. i will never drag auburn in the mud ever. i love them enough to hang on until a change does come. one thing you can bet is i will not be starting threads bashing my beloved auburn. some of you do not love auburn you just love winning. and i think it is sad so many of you miss the whole point about auburn anyway.

We all love Auburn. I can love it and still be critical of the institution. It's a wonderful place and a fine school, but it has flaws like ever other college in this country. We've had some leadership problems and it needs to be corrected. Gus has to go or the the whole athletic department will suffer.

53 minutes ago, cole256 said:

No they just usually don't want to inquire the wrath of the extreme people. People in the middle really want to talk football so bad but they search for others. 

The people in the middle catch more wrath than anybody because they see the game for what it is and they are the first to see things the extreme people want to hear. It's a guarantee people in the middle will get accused of being extreme by everyone

What I am talking about though is there are optimistic people that do not get as defensive.  That is hard to see right after a game because 99.99% of the people are acting on emotion.  Look at the beginning of this thread for instance.  A lot of emotion, and people saying things they probably wish they could take back.  For what it is worth I do think people like you, DAG, Loof, Bird, WDE, and many others are truly in the middle.  I mean that as a complement.  Personally I would like to think I lean towards the middle but definitely on the optimistic side.

I think part of your statement is agreeing with me as well.  That people in the middle do not want to get caught up in the emotions of others.  So they come back later and make posts with a clear head.

35 minutes ago, woodford said:

We all love Auburn. I can love it and still be critical of the institution. It's a wonderful place and a fine school, but it has flaws like ever other college in this country. We've had some leadership problems and it needs to be corrected. Gus has to go or the the whole athletic department will suffer.

I think what aubie is trying to say is the poor choice of words in the title of the thread.  That if the football program isn't up to their standards, the entire school (athletic program in all sports, the community surrounding the school, and the academic side) is a loser institution.  Aubie is saying Auburn is more than just football.  It is fine to criticize the program, and rightfully so, but to make a blanket statement applying the football outcome to unrelated matters relating to the school is a bit much.

11 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

What I am talking about though is there are optimistic people that do not get as defensive.  That is hard to see right after a game because 99.99% of the people are acting on emotion.  Look at the beginning of this thread for instance.  A lot of emotion, and people saying things they probably wish they could take back.  For what it is worth I do think people like you, DAG, Loof, Bird, WDE, and many others are truly in the middle.  I mean that as a complement.  Personally I would like to think I lean towards the middle but definitely on the optimistic side.

I think part of your statement is agreeing with me as well.  That people in the middle do not want to get caught up in the emotions of others.  So they come back later and make posts with a clear head.

I think what aubie is trying to say is the poor choice of words in the title of the thread.  That if the football program isn't up to their standards, the entire school (athletic program in all sports, the community surrounding the school, and the academic side) is a loser institution.  Aubie is saying Auburn is more than just football.  It is fine to criticize the program, and rightfully so, but to make a blanket statement applying the football outcome to unrelated matters relating to the school is a bit much.

To be fair, like you said , I don’t think swamp truly means Auburn as a whole is a loser institution. I think he is fed up, as I, with the leaders who allowed this contact to handicap the football program. Of course Auburn is a lot more than football and they have more things to juggle. I just hope our AD and Boosters can get back on the right path because right now we are in no man’s land.

11 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

I can't even remember our last bowl win.. Purdue maybe? But even against the big teams he can't win. We barely beat Arkansas and if these next two weeks end like we think they will, it should be clear going into next year he is on the hot seat. A bad start to next year should be fireable. 

Seriously, I'm at the point where if bowls happen this year I do NOT want a New Year's Day bowl because we'll inevitably get matched up with a team with a better record than us.

13 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Ole Miss wasn’t depleted.  He also inherited a really good OL.  There was also the accusation Kiffin had all of the defensive play calls of Alabama.  I still think he would have scored more points than we did though.  

Aaaaand if Matt freaking Luke was able to recruit a talented OL to Ole Miss, why can't Gus to Auburn?

Like many others there is no way I'm spending my money or time going to another bowl game while Gus is coach. 

What really sucks is I really want to go to Penn State next year. But the fun is taken out when you have zero expectations to win. 

5 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Seriously, I'm at the point where if bowls happen this year I do NOT want a New Year's Day bowl because we'll inevitably get matched up with a team with a better record than us.

5 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Aaaaand if Matt freaking Luke was able to recruit a talented OL to Ole Miss, why can't Gus to Auburn?

Matt Luke is an OL coach...  If he were able to recruit one position group, that would be it.  He seems to be doing just fine recruiting OL at UGA as well.

9 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

Like many others there is no way I'm spending my money or time going to another bowl game while Gus is coach. 

What really sucks is I really want to go to Penn State next year. But the fun is taken out when you have zero expectations to win. 

To be ABSOLUTELY fair, Clemson is the only regular season OOC opponent we've lost to since Tubs left. And who knows how PSU will be.

7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Matt Luke is an OL coach...  If he were able to recruit one position group, that would be it.  He seems to be doing just fine recruiting OL at UGA as well.

Great. I would take him, or preferably Sam Pittman over Gus, then. I cannot overstate enough how important the offensive line is.

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Great. I would take him over Gus, then. I cannot overstate enough how important the offensive line is.

For what it is worth, I think Jack Bicknell, Jr. is doing a great job with our OL.  He was Matt Luke's OL at Ole Miss.  He has done a good job improving our OL without a summer or spring practice as a brand new coach at Auburn.  Even in the Alabama game they held up decently well, and keep in mind three of our five starters were out for the game, including our best OL in Council.  If something happens to Malzahn, I hope Bicknell is retained.

11 hours ago, jAUSon said:

next day

Fair enough, I didn’t read into enough responses to see “ hard time” guy. I for one stayed positive about the game. I knew the possibilities, I chose to be optimistic. However, I had a hell of a hangover!! 

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

May be a rarity but I agree 💯 

17 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

For what it is worth, I think Jack Bicknell, Jr. is doing a great job with our OL.  He was Matt Luke's OL at Ole Miss.  He has done a good job improving our OL without a summer or spring practice as a brand new coach at Auburn.  Even in the Alabama game they held up decently well, and keep in mind three of our five starters were out for the game, including our best OL in Council.  If something happens to Malzahn, I hope Bicknell is retained.

The o line has gotten better just about every game. The only position group that can say that

His road record vs teams with a pulse is like his bowl record, it's putrid. He is 15-17 in SEC road games. It will be Auburn's second game next year. So Gus will still need one more game to figure out what his players are good at. I would 100% expect Gus to lose that game even if PSU is unranked and 0-2. If they are ranked then Gus is 20-26 vs ranked teams. 

3 hours ago, AUwent said:

To be ABSOLUTELY fair, Clemson is the only regular season OOC opponent we've lost to since Tubs left. And who knows how PSU will be.

Great. I would take him, or preferably Sam Pittman over Gus, then. I cannot overstate enough how important the offensive line is.

20 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

His road record vs teams with a pulse is like his bowl record, it's putrid. He is 15-17 in SEC road games. It will be Auburn's second game next year. So Gus will still need one more game to figure out what his players are good at. I would 100% expect Gus to lose that game even if PSU is unranked and 0-2. If they are ranked then Gus is 20-26 vs ranked teams. 

I don't like him either and want a change, but 9-4 K-State, 10-4 Washington and 12-2 Oregon were all teams with a pulse. In other words I'm not talking about SEC road games, which I agree with you 100% on.

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Oline has made strides and they've worked hard to get better.  

It is at Penn State. Not a neutral site. 

18 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I don't like him either and want a change, but 9-4 K-State, 10-4 Washington and 12-2 Oregon were all teams with a pulse. In other words I'm not talking about SEC road games, which I agree with you 100% on.

8 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Fitty, this is an Auburn football forum, not an Auburn academic forum, hence the thread topic. It refers to Auburn football and nothing else. 

Auburn is just a little ahead of Vandy from being the total laughing stock of the SEC. I guess the powers at Auburn simply don't care.

Just now, auburn4ever said:

Auburn is just a little behind Vandy for being the total laughing stock of the SEC. I guess the powers at Auburn simply don't care.

And a ‘few’ up in here, evidently. 

6 hours ago, DAG said:

To be fair, like you said , I don’t think swamp truly means Auburn as a whole is a loser institution. I think he is fed up, as I, with the leaders who allowed this contact to handicap the football program. Of course Auburn is a lot more than football and they have more things to juggle. I just hope our AD and Boosters can get back on the right path because right now we are in no man’s land.

Thank you for ‘getting it’ DAG.  I can see where it is misunderstood, though.  I am talking about Auburn football as an institution, nothing else.

Archived