If Gus isn’t fired tomorrow, AU is a loser institution

Swamp Eagle

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Notjeffco said:

The maddening thing about the rivalry game Auburn vs bama. When Bama wins the mentality is ok good win, we were supposed to win it. Let's move on. 

When Auburn wins it's OMG greatest win EVAH! let's name it!!! Maybe Auburn should base the season on overall success rather than this one game.

With the benefit of 20 20 hindsight the 2017 win over UGA and Bama was the worst thing for the AU program long term. It got Gus the stupid ridiculous contract. 

Part of the reason we name it is because the games we win tend to be epic.  Punt Bama Punt, Bo Over The Top, The Camback, The Kick Six.  But when we won in 2017, what did we name it?  That's right, nothing.  Because we won by 2 TDs and pretty much dominated the game.  

9 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Part of the reason we name it is because the games we win tend to be epic.  Punt Bama Punt, Bo Over The Top, The Camback, The Kick Six.  But when we won in 2017, what did we name it?  That's right, nothing.  Because we won by 2 TDs and pretty much dominated the game.  

And what does Alabama name their games when they win? Again, I am find with naming the games as it pokes fun, but it also drives the point that this game is what many Auburn fans live for. Last year, after we loss to Minnesota, there were several on here saying well we at least beat Bama. Same thing in 2017. For me, I am over that. And mind you, Bama won the dang NC in 17, ugh.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

A&M has never won the West. We've won it three times in the last decade, twice since they joined the league.

We played for a BCS title since they joined and twice in the last 10 years.  And I think most rightly believe we'd have made the CFP in 2017 if Kerryon doesn't go down before the SEC title game.  A&M hasn't played for anything of national significance since joining the league, or really anytime since the 80s or 90s.

In fact, they finished 2nd in the West in 2012 with Johnny Football but since have finished third once, fourth three times, fifth once and sixth twice.  We have finished first twice, second, third, fourth and fifth once each, and seventh twice.  Our lows are slightly lower but our highs much higher.

They've beaten Alabama once since joining the league (2012 with Manziel) and only twice in their history.  We've beaten Bama three times in the same span (which is as many times as the rest of the league combined since Gus arrived).

We've beaten them head to head 4 of the last 5.

If we're talking this year...

A&M got beat by 28 vs Alabama (and was down 35-14 at half), we lost by 29.  I'll give them props for the Florida win.  But I'll just give you my eyeball test:  

- Florida isn't a CFP caliber team in my mind and neither is A&M.

- The Aggies don't have any WRs that scare you, especially downfield and their running game is just ok.  They have a very good offensive line which has helped give Mond time to pass and Mond can do damage with his legs.  But it's a very up and down offense.

- Yes they blasted an SC team circling the drain, but struggled against LSU.  The offense managed only 13 points (the other TD was a pick six against LSU's freshman QB).

- The game is in Auburn where we play significantly better than on the road.

I think there's a better than even chance we beat them this weekend.

Right now, the main advantage A&M has and it's one they have on almost everyone - they have a ton of money.  That could pay off at some point for them.  But right now overall, they're still a notch down from us even with our issues.

I asked them because they said specific things as to why we were so much better than them and the things said you'd have to say the same for us. And even with what you said you only said 1 maybe 2 as to why to believe we can win that game as what teams do to other teams really doesn't tell you much. If one team dominates another team you can use that a bit but even that is sketchy. 

13 hours ago, AUFriction said:

Well, like it or not, that part of the family is huge. I personally know 1 Auburn fan that wants to replace Gus. Everyone else I know seems to be okay with him because “he’s a good guy and he fits with Auburn’s culture. “ Those of you expecting that part of the fan base to disappear are really SOL. They are the majority of Auburn fans. Short of ending sports at Auburn, that voice isn’t going anywhere. 

There’s a broad definition of being a good guy. For me it extends beyond not cussing and pre-game prayer circles.  Developing a consistent championship culture while maximizing players skill sets is one of those definitions, and Gus falls fall short in the regard. 

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Tank Bigsby was in 6th grade the last time we won the SEC

He was in 3rd grade when we last week a National Championship. 

9 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Everyone else I know seems to be okay with him because “he’s a good guy and he fits with Auburn’s culture. “ Those of you expecting that part of t

This about sums up everything concerning Auburn football at this moment in time.  

While Alabama is scoring TD after TD Auburn is trying 3 FG's and making 2 of them. This is a sign of a coach giving up on his team and everyone who loves Auburn football.

Auburn has fallen to just being a mediocre. If the BOT's don't fire Gus, then that tells us the BIG boosters enjoy having a mediocre football program.

If Bama ever knocks off a #1 ranked Auburn, or even top 5 Auburn in a dramatic fashion, they can feel free to name it whatever they wish.  Who cares?

With Gus still at the helm, that opportunity doesn't look to come around any time soon.  We'll be sure to lose a few on the way to the IB to make sure of it.

29 minutes ago, Zeek said:

He was in 3rd grade when we last week a National Championship. 

Where was he anytime a SEC team other than Alabama LSU Auburn or Florida won a title?

1 hour ago, DAG said:

And what does Alabama name their games when they win? Again, I am find with naming the games as it pokes fun, but it also drives the point that this game is what many Auburn fans live for. Last year, after we loss to Minnesota, there were several on here saying well we at least beat Bama. Same thing in 2017. For me, I am over that. And mind you, Bama won the dang NC in 17, ugh.

Question though, and just for comparison. I'm not being snarky.

Has uat won an Iron Bowl with a dramatic ending like these named ones? I can't think of any, but I drank too much last night.

10 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

If Bama ever knocks off a #1 ranked Auburn, or even top 5 Auburn in a dramatic fashion, they can feel free to name it whatever they wish.  Who cares?

With Gus still at the helm, that opportunity doesn't look to come around any time soon.  We'll be sure to lose a few on the way to the IB to make sure of it.

That is the point. Alabama doesn't give a damn about that and I am sick of us needing a "special season" or infatuated with victory over Bama. I am also sick of the damn dramatic fashion victories. Line up, play the damn game like you are a top 5 talent or top ten talent, handle your business and let's start acting like we belong. It is a culture thing. 

2 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Has uat won an Iron Bowl with a dramatic ending like these named ones? I can't think of any, but I drank too much last night.

No. In my lifetime, they usually dominate the game or it takes some video game craziness for us to win. I guess when we were dominating them with Tubs that was nice, but then again, we have nothing to show for it. It is so damn pointless sometimes, but at least we could honk when we sacked Brodie smh.  And if they did I don't think they would give a crap, if they don't win the NC game. Yeah, they would make fun of the Auburn base. What else is new. But they would be more pissed about losing a chance at the NC game than anything.

The Van Tiffin FG comes to mind, and they did have to come back to win in the final minutes in 2009, but nothing like final seconds. 

Right now, they are just a better program. Better talent recognition and acquisition, better player development and utilization, better strategies and game preparation, better coaching all around with few exceptions, etc...

Nothing looks to be changing the situation any time soon apparently. We have to play dang near a perfect game, or rely on them making mistakes, which are fairly rare in order to eke one out. We are mired in the mud of our own making. 

18 minutes ago, shabby said:

Where was he anytime a SEC team other than Alabama LSU Auburn or Florida won a title?

Tennessee 22 years ago but when your excusing 4/14 teams that puts us in the middle of the pack.

Dag, aside from recruiting(lol), we can't make them not be number one until the last day of the season. So there's only years where we know going in we're toast, or it's a breathless white-knuckle miracle for the win. There is no in-between until we both have new coaches. I like the dramatic named wins. I can show them to my kids for their indoctrination. They have permenant positions as the highest-ranked sports moments of all time in the eyes of the world, and they give me the warm and fuzzies.....when I've drank too much.

11 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

They don't beat good Auburn teams

10 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Bama had the Kiffin kick and wrong way Bo in the 80s.  Daniel Payne used to make a painting of all the games.  The pick 6 in 92. Shaun Alexander running all over Auburn in 99 to win the first game at JHS was big.

The name thing is just another infamous of this culture we have here. Watch, 

15 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Dag, aside from recruiting(lol), we can't make them not be number one until the last day of the season. So there's only years where we know going in we're toast, or it's a breathless white-knuckle miracle for the win. There is no in-between until we both have new coaches. I like the dramatic named wins. I can show them to my kids for their indoctrination. They have permenant positions as the highest-ranked sports moments of all time in the eyes of the world, and they give me the warm and fuzzies.....when I've drank too much.

And if you enjoy that, that is cool. I just want something bigger than that. The Kick six will be a great lasting memory, but I also remember how it felt leaving that stadium in Cali knowing we let one slip away. And we haven't returned since.  The closest thing I can think of from an Bama naming something was "the drive." Guess what? If they lose to Texas in the NC game, they aren't going to put nearly as much emphasis on that over their loss in the NC game. 

Also, the naming thing isn't even a priority. It is just another thing to take note of in this Auburn culture. The whole family mantra. The special season adjectives we like to have. Just watch. We will beat the Aggies next week and end the season 7-3. The consensus will be it wasn't that bad and next year is setting up for us to have a special season. Bookmark this.

I think we'll get boat raced by the Aggies. We might beat MSU, or lose. That's a toss-up right now.

If not for a bogus call, we lost to Arkansas and should realistically be 4-4 if not worse right now. So, even if we do end the season with a W, we'd be 6-4 (or actually 5-5). 

We are stuck in the middle of the pack, while teams other than Bama move up and down the list around us. UF and UGA have risen towards the top. A&M and Ole Miss are moving up. LSU has bounced up and down, but I'll bet they'll be more up than down in the future. 

Next year won't be special. It'll be more of the same.

Idk man. Back in the day the Iron Bowl was everything, and I'm not down to poo-poo that; those old nick-names belong to the old Auburn that created them.

But these circus wins in this era are the culmination of Auburn making a legit run at a season, facing the gauntlet of amen-corner, playing the goat win lose or draw on the last day of the season. It's pretty high drama Dag. And where (not rhetorical) are the nicknames from? I seem to remember a thread on here a few yrs ago fishing for kicknames after an Iron Bowl win, but Idk. I'll quit here though, it is a little off-topic.

Archived