Perspective

tigeraddikt

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

I hate losing to Bama, but I could weather that if we were competitive vs UGA, and not losing to the likes of USCe, UCF, and Minnesota. 

Welllllll, if it isn't USCe/UCF/Minnesota it's MooSt/LSU/UF.....Too many losses for the $$ being paid to this crew.  

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gus had us beaten Saturday before we even left the locker room. His comments before the game about getting to the 4th quarter is a completely defeatist attitude. If I'm a player I'm interpreting that message to mean if we can just stay with these guys until the 4th quarter maybe another miracle can occur. 

I would much rather a coach tell me to whip those guys ass from the first whistle. Gus then goes on to say in the post game presser that, " We came out flat!" How in the hell do you come out flat against the number 1 team in the land, and your biggest rival? That's admitting he failed miserably before the game ever started is the way I read it. 

I just can't see how the PTB at Auburn can continue to put up with this debacle. It's maddening. 

There's my perspective.

18 hours ago, cole256 said:

How does trash talking make you lose?

you can make people mad and take them right out of their game. you can distract them. talk about their mama or how you banged their girl. it has happened and will do so because it does effect some folks. people get mad and it takes them out of their game. then they get beat on a play. then you look up and you are losing. you do not think sc did that to us?

23 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

you can make people mad and take them right out of their game. you can distract them. talk about their mama or how you banged their girl. it has happened and will do so because it does effect some folks. people get mad and it takes them out of their game. then they get beat on a play. then you look up and you are losing. you do not think sc did that to us?

If that kind of talk knocks our players off of their game then we have bigger problems than just Gus. We are the better football program of the two and we need to act like it and play like it. We didn't play like it. 

5 minutes ago, gr82be said:

If that kind of talk knocks our players off of their game then we have bigger problems than just Gus. We are the better football program of the two and we need to act like it and play like it. We didn't play like it. 

i will always believe it effects players. some are mentally tougher than others. i believe it helped sc beat us. folks might not know but back around the last of jordans terms and then barfields the knock on auburn was all they wanted to do was fight. this is because they let people take them out of their game. many teams have shrinks now and while the main reason is to help against things like depression it also helps them develope a tougher mindset to excel. if you think you are beat before you walk on the field it effects tackling and energy. it is like coaching a kid. some will not take the tough love stuff well at all and you have to coach them up different. some players can except the tough love for what it is and it makes them better. think of the kids we have had that did not care for coach gardner because he will stay on that behind and be relentless about it.we had one star and he just was not getting it done and he left {lawson maybe} and he did a little better at a different college and tho he struggled in the pro's their was an article about him and becoming a valuable part of the team. the mind is a weapon and it can make you a better player or a not so good player. no one has to believe me but this is my stance and i have seen it happen over the years. a ,essage board is about opinions right?

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i will always believe it effects players. some are mentally tougher than others. i believe it helped sc beat us. folks might not know but back around the last of jordans terms and then barfields the knock on auburn was all they wanted to do was fight. this is because they let people take them out of their game. many teams have shrinks now and while the main reason is to help against things like depression it also helps them develope a tougher mindset to excel. if you think you are beat before you walk on the field it effects tackling and energy. it is like coaching a kid. some will not take the tough love stuff well at all and you have to coach them up different. some players can except the tough love for what it is and it makes them better. think of the kids we have had that did not care for coach gardner because he will stay on that behind and be relentless about it.we had one star and he just was not getting it done and he left {lawson maybe} and he did a little better at a different college and tho he struggled in the pro's their was an article about him and becoming a valuable part of the team. the mind is a weapon and it can make you a better player or a not so good player. no one has to believe me but this is my stance and i have seen it happen over the years. a ,essage board is about opinions right?

Some of that is true but our whole team damn near every play? No way in hell and like you said some may get out of their game but some people you don't want to EVER piss off in competition. So there's just as good of a chance of guys playing better than not.

With so many different players I'd imagine trash talk probably matters least as far as overall team's success. 

What effected us more was turning the ball over multiple times in the red zone

Bama fan here, I come in peace (AUDub invited me).

I think it's difficult to measure a team against a team like Bama currently has, or USC had in the early 2ks, etc. When everything falls into place and these dynasties are humming along, comparing your program to those can lead to poor decisions.

That said, few teams have stood toe-to-toe with Bama every year like Auburn has. So despite some of the lop-sided results, the reality is AU is likely as close as anyone (who plays Bama regularly) to competing with a program that's operating at essentially never-seen-before levels.

Anyway, just wanted to give an 'outside' opinion. And FTR, I grew up in Orlando, only lived in Tuscaloosa while attending Alabama, so I don't have the 'built in' hate for AU that many Bama fans do. 

17 minutes ago, crimsonaudio said:

I think it's difficult to measure a team against a team like Bama currently has, or USC had in the early 2ks, etc. When everything falls into place and these dynasties are humming along, comparing your program to those can lead to poor decisions.

That said, few teams have stood toe-to-toe with Bama every year like Auburn has. So despite some of the lop-sided results, the reality is AU is likely as close as anyone (who plays Bama regularly) to competing with a program that's operating at essentially never-seen-before levels.

Anyway, just wanted to give an 'outside' opinion. And FTR, I grew up in Orlando, only lived in Tuscaloosa while attending Alabama, so I don't have the 'built in' hate for AU that many Bama fans do. 

It's not so much the losing to Bama as it is all of the losses to all the rivals. It's been said a bunch here, that if Gus' only losses were to Bama, things would be much different. 

P.S.-Don't believe anything Dub says about me. Well, except the beer stories. Believe those. 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

What effected us more was turning the ball over multiple times in the red zone

Even worse, it was our own red zone, or almost. Carolina got the ball at our 29, 49 and 8 yard line after those 3 picks. Only took SC 86 yards to score 21 points. Gotta put some of that on our defense but the blame is primarily on the offense and Bo Nix specifically. All 3 were interceptions. Nobody else turned the ball over. And the defense got an interception back for Bo. Guess what he did? Threw his third pick 5 plays later. 

But hey, let's blame the offensive line and the receivers and trash talk and literally anything else. 

1 hour ago, crimsonaudio said:

Its not like Gus is great except against Bama? Ill never understand this argument

22 hours ago, cole256 said:

How does trash talking make you lose?

Not sure it makes you lose. It can be a tactic to get the other guys off their game. What I don't like is showboating and trash talking when you are getting your rear end handed to you in nearly all aspects of the game. Or you are holding a slim lead on a team you should be blowing out.  I love the guy that makes a great play or even just a solid play and gets up like business as usual and does it again the next play.  Plus if you get burned by somebody and next time cause an incomplete pass its not the time to brag. That might make them throw your way again and burn you again. Lets face it we lose a lot of long balls to UAT receivers regularly.

28 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Even worse, it was our own red zone, or almost. Carolina got the ball at our 29, 49 and 8 yard line after those 3 picks. Only took SC 86 yards to score 21 points. Gotta put some of that on our defense but the blame is primarily on the offense and Bo Nix specifically. All 3 were interceptions. Nobody else turned the ball over. And the defense got an interception back for Bo. Guess what he did? Threw his third pick 5 plays later. 

But hey, let's blame the offensive line and the receivers and trash talk and literally anything else. 

Man the people that try to lay everything on the o line are the absolute worse. It's like the go to for a person that wants to deflect every problem

2 hours ago, crimsonaudio said:

Thanks for coming in here and being cordial. But what you got to understand is it is not just about Bama. Even in your most reasonable post you think it is just about you. We are nowhere near close to competing with Bama because we have no foundation. We are now going backwards in recruiting. Standing "toe-to-toe" with Bama isn't helping. We cannot seem to win on the road against quality SEC teams. When is the last time we won at Bama?  "But we are as close as anyone to Bama." We give up games, we have no reason to give up, like USCe, "yet we are close to Bama." Since 2015, the offense has been inconsistent at best. Another quality that makes us "close to Bama." Moreover, just because we won some games in dramatic fashion does not mean we are competing, as you pointed out, it is either that or a blowout. That is hardly competing. 

6 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Not sure it makes you lose. It can be a tactic to get the other guys off their game. What I don't like is showboating and trash talking when you are getting your rear end handed to you in nearly all aspects of the game. Or you are holding a slim lead on a team you should be blowing out.  I love the guy that makes a great play or even just a solid play and gets up like business as usual and does it again the next play.  Plus if you get burned by somebody and next time cause an incomplete pass its not the time to brag. That might make them throw your way again and burn you again. Lets face it we lose a lot of long balls to UAT receivers regularly.

I understand than but if you read my reply after that there are opposites to that, guys you don't talk to or it's a problem. In football though.....especially the way South Carolina beat us....all the stuff that was horrible I seriously doubt trash talking beat us.....unless you say they were trash talking our QB and that's why he played the way he did

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Man the people that try to lay everything on the o line are the absolute worse. It's like the go to for a person that wants to deflect every problem

For a few years, it really was. The OL this year have really stepped up and are doing a much better job than the previous lines have.  I've been impressed with their coaching and their development.  IMO, this year is on QB play, play design, and play calling.

Just now, bigbird said:

For a few years, it really was. The OL this year have really stepped up and are doing a much better job than the previous lines have.  I've been impressed with their coaching and their development.  IMO, this year is on QB play, play design, and play calling.

Yeah it's a problem but it's a go to to say there are no other problems. 

Like a car that doesn't have tires and the battery cable is loose but all you have to do is tighten the cable and we can go.......no whether you like it or not we need tires! I know it's going to cost money and tightening the battery wasn't a bad problem to have, we have to address we're going to spend some money one way or the other like it or not

Just now, cole256 said:

Yeah it's a problem but it's a go to to say there are no other problems. 

Like a car that doesn't have tires and the battery cable is loose but all you have to do is tighten the cable and we can go.......no whether you like it or not we need tires! I know it's going to cost money and tightening the battery wasn't a bad problem to have, we have to address we're going to spend some money one way or the other like it or not

There are and have been so many issues offensively. Bad routes, bad hands, bad bad effort, bad fundamentals, bad reads, bad passes, bad run blocking, bad pass blocking, bad plays, bad development, bad player utilization, bad adjustments, bad game plans, just bad offense...and it's been consistently bad for years. 

Like you said, people focus on one part of the car, but if they are honest and take a step back this is what our car looks like.

images.jpeg

Just now, bigbird said:

There are and have been so many issues offensively. Bad routes, bad hands, bad bad effort, bad fundamentals, bad reads, bad passes, bad run blocking, bad pass blocking, bad plays, bad development, bad player utilization, bad adjustments, bad game plans, just bad offense...and it's been consistently bad for years. 

Like you said, people focus on one part of the car, but if they are honest and take a step back this is what our car looks like.

images.jpeg

Absolutely, and then because it's better than a bicycle with no wheels and seat we trick ourselves into thinking well we beat the tricycle and bicycle.....let's go to Talladega and win it all!

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Absolutely, and then because it's better than a bicycle with no wheels and seat we trick ourselves into thinking well we beat the tricycle and bicycle.....let's go to Talladega and win it all!

I'd rather push a bike with 2 flats than our  bus with 6.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'd rather push a bike with 2 flats than our  bus with 6.

Do like me bro I'm using an uber until we make some changes!

31 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I understand than but if you read my reply after that there are opposites to that, guys you don't talk to or it's a problem. In football though.....especially the way South Carolina beat us....all the stuff that was horrible I seriously doubt trash talking beat us.....unless you say they were trash talking our QB and that's why he played the way he did

No I'm not saying any of that caused us to lose to SC.  I wasn't clear enough. My point about trash talking and showboating is that we seem to do it when we are getting beat. Getting smoked but wagging a finger no-no style when you may or may not have cause a pass to the guy you are covering to go incomplete.  Or making a tackle for no gain down 3 scores when our d-line and lbs are getting gashed on the ground. 

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Do like me bro I'm using an uber until we make some changes!

For $49 mil, I want to be riding in the freaking Millennium Falcon!

1 minute ago, jj3jordan said:

No I'm not saying any of that caused us to lose to SC.  I wasn't clear enough. My point about trash talking and showboating is that we seem to do it when we are getting beat. Getting smoked but wagging a finger no-no style when you may or may not have cause a pass to the guy you are covering to go incomplete.  Or making a tackle for no gain down 3 scores when our d-line and lbs are getting gashed on the ground. 

Oh I'm with you. I'm pretty sure I have a reputation for hating it. I've complained about that previous years. That's a point Darren Bates was making in that vid on another thread.....when you're good you don't celebrate little stuff

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Oh I'm with you. I'm pretty sure I have a reputation for hating it. I've complained about that previous years. That's a point Darren Bates was making in that vid on another thread.....when you're good you don't celebrate little stuff

I tell my guys, "Act like you've done it before and plan to do it again"

When I played it was more talking to the wr at the los. When I made plays everybody had to have seen it because you watch where the ball goes. You don't have to draw attention. Everybody literally watched me defend that play no extra is needed I have your attention

Archived