Perspective

tigeraddikt

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DAG said:

2 hours ago, CR said:

Its not like Gus is great except against Bama? Ill never understand this argument

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Thanks for coming in here and being cordial. But what you got to understand is it is not just about Bama. Even in your most reasonable post you think it is just about you. We are nowhere near close to competing with Bama because we have no foundation. We are now going backwards in recruiting. Standing "toe-to-toe" with Bama isn't helping. We cannot seem to win on the road against quality SEC teams. When is the last time we won at Bama?  "But we are as close as anyone to Bama." We give up games, we have no reason to give up, like USCe, "yet we are close to Bama." Since 2015, the offense has been inconsistent at best. Another quality that makes us "close to Bama." Moreover, just because we won some games in dramatic fashion does not mean we are competing, as you pointed out, it is either that or a blowout. That is hardly competing. 

Sorry, I wasn't trying to make excuses for Gus, just trying to stay on topic. There are lots of threads here about Gus's problems, I'm just pointing out (as the OP did) that most everyone is struggling with Bama. Not trying to make it about Bama, sorry it it came off that way.

I understand your frustrations with Gus - I see flashes of brilliance then games like USCe. It doesn't make sense to me that a guy can be so hot / cold.

I just don't know how many options there are out there that will yield better results immediately. I think it would take time for Cristobal to have a real effect, but i do think Freeze could take the crazy talent AU has and make them competitive right away. I just don't know if Freeze can keep it together working at a premier program - he's never worked at a school as prominent as AU and even screwed up at OM.

27 minutes ago, crimsonaudio said:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to make excuses for Gus, just trying to stay on topic. There are lots of threads here about Gus's problems, I'm just pointing out (as the OP did) that most everyone is struggling with Bama. Not trying to make it about Bama, sorry it it came off that way.

I understand your frustrations with Gus - I see flashes of brilliance then games like USCe. It doesn't make sense to me that a guy can be so hot / cold.

I just don't know how many options there are out there that will yield better results immediately. I think it would take time for Cristobal to have a real effect, but i do think Freeze could take the crazy talent AU has and make them competitive right away. I just don't know if Freeze can keep it together working at a premier program - he's never worked at a school as prominent as AU and even screwed up at OM.

To me it is a process for everything. I am not looking for instant gratification. I am looking for a coach who can build up a program and keep progressing. We have not progressed. I mean NS and Dabo didn’t turn their programs around over night so I understand it takes time . But the idea that we should keep Gus because we don’t know if we can get better is not the proper way to go about it.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

To me it is a process for everything. I am not looking for instant gratification. I am looking for a coach who can build up a program and keep progressing. We have not progressed. I mean NS and Dabo didn’t turn their programs around over night so I understand it takes time . But the idea that we should keep Gus because we don’t know if we can get better is not the proper way to go about it.

Absolutely. That last sentence describes the loser mentality some folks have become accustomed to.  I've been sick watching this knucklehead for years flail around in his own pool of mediocrity. It's beyond time for a change.

5 hours ago, crimsonaudio said:

Bama fan here, I come in peace (AUDub invited me).

I think it's difficult to measure a team against a team like Bama currently has, or USC had in the early 2ks, etc. When everything falls into place and these dynasties are humming along, comparing your program to those can lead to poor decisions.

That said, few teams have stood toe-to-toe with Bama every year like Auburn has. So despite some of the lop-sided results, the reality is AU is likely as close as anyone (who plays Bama regularly) to competing with a program that's operating at essentially never-seen-before levels.

Anyway, just wanted to give an 'outside' opinion. And FTR, I grew up in Orlando, only lived in Tuscaloosa while attending Alabama, so I don't have the 'built in' hate for AU that many Bama fans do. 

Welcome to the forum!

2 hours ago, crimsonaudio said:

i do think Freeze could take the crazy talent AU has and make them competitive right away.

this x1000

2 hours ago, crimsonaudio said:

Hey man, this thing is going downhill with a recruiting class tanking to add to insult to injury.  Saturday was just a microcosm of the deficiencies on this team.  Wait around too long and it'll get to the point where most any coach can yield better results.  

Auburn should be dominating the bottom SEC teams to the point where back-ups run the show by mid-third qtr and that's not happening.  Auburn should be able to recruit top talent in the trenches, and that's not happening.  Auburn should be able to stand toe to toe with UGA/LSU/UAT and make those games slobber-knockers every year with us spitting 50% W/L, and that's not happening.

14 minutes ago, keesler said:

Auburn should be dominating the bottom SEC teams to the point where back-ups run the show by mid-third qtr and that's not happening.  Auburn should be able to recruit top talent in the trenches, and that's not happening.  Auburn should be able to stand toe to toe with UGA/LSU/UAT and make those games slobber-knockers every year with us spitting 50% W/L, and that's not happening.

This is 100% truth. 

4 hours ago, crimsonaudio said:

i do think Freeze could take the crazy talent AU has and make them competitive right away.

I think that goes for a whole lot of coaches out there

On 11/29/2020 at 10:54 PM, tigeraddikt said:

Those are all great numbers to reinforce the idea that Gustav is not the answer at HC for AU. I started the thread just to bring perspective to AU vs AL under Saban.

I posted that simply to illustrate that Auburn’s problem is that we focus on bama and how we do against them. Beat them, get a raise.  Compete “somewhat” against their unprecedented run and you can stay because “no one can compete with them.  It is obviously a flawed mentality as the numbers show we are now mid-level sec program and dropping. 

15 minutes ago, Tigerpaul53 said:

Auburn’s problem is that we focus on bama and how we do against them

Nah. Most of us don't. And to the Bama guy up there: woopty do about your thinking the turds transend even the possibility of team by team comparisons lol. Here's a comparison: Name a year Saban beat Auburn when Auburn had reasonable expectations the Friday night before, lol. There's your comparison. I can't remember if Bama ever affected our season in Gus tenure. We've either checked out already or we beat that ass lol.

I was listening to a Podcast today and someone made a scenario where you flip flop Auburn and UGA’s roster and Gus would be a championship winning coach.  Specifically they mention having a high end Oline and Chad Morris calling plays.  I think this is the thing that keeps giving me hope that if Gus can get an Oline in place like he had the first couple years from Chizik’s recruits Auburn could be dangerous.

Before the flames start I realize the reason Auburn doesn’t have a good Oline is all Gus’s fault.  

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

I think that goes for a whole lot of coaches out there

Agreed. If we had a new coach in 21, we would absolutely contend for the West and be competitive with everyone. Even though we lack talent on the OL, I think someone like Cristobal would bring in a solid freshman class. 

5 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I was listening to a Podcast today and someone made a scenario where you flip flop Auburn and UGA’s roster and Gus would be a championship winning coach.  Specifically they mention having a high end Oline and Chad Morris calling plays.  I think this is the thing that keeps giving me hope that if Gus can get an Oline in place like he had the first couple years from Chizik’s recruits Auburn could be dangerous.

Before the flames start I realize the reason Auburn doesn’t have a good Oline is all Gus’s fault.  

It sounds logical, but I don’t think his system works anymore because of the substitution rules. He also had a bad track record with QB development. Gus is the common denominator in all of Auburn’s problems. 

Gus can’t lead a program like Auburn. 

13 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I was listening to a Podcast today and someone made a scenario where you flip flop Auburn and UGA’s roster and Gus would be a championship winning coach.

This premise suggests that Gus properly utilizes the talent at his disposal. It is a faulty premise. 

14 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Correct so why do you keep hoping? He doesn’t have the ability to sustain something. This has been proven 

I don't know when this type of logic started......if everybody had the best everything then yes EVERYBODY would perform better. The people that have good stuff wasn't handed it, they worked for it. 

Hell, why not flip flop Auburn and UAT's roster and contend every year?  Auburn could get to the point where a 10 or 11 win season is considered a piss poor season by the Coach, players and fan base. 

As it stands, some people continue to hold out hope that Gus will miraculously build an annual contender.  I mean he's had ample time to prove himself, eight years and multiple OC's and here we are in the same position we've been in for the past 5-6 yrs.  

One thing has changed and it's concerning....Auburn's recruiting class has fallen to an alarming level and that's on Gus.  So Podcast's can come up with scenario's galore and dream about the possibilities of Auburn obtaining a top level roster, but reality is that this thing is sliding in a downward trend.

On 12/1/2020 at 11:45 AM, cole256 said:

When I played it was more talking to the wr at the los. When I made plays everybody had to have seen it because you watch where the ball goes. You don't have to draw attention. Everybody literally watched me defend that play no extra is needed I have your attention

I used to love talking to the WR at the LOS to get them off their game...I didn't use trash talk but asked them different questions right before the ball was snapped or say something like..."man that chick has the hots for you, she can't stop staring"...sometimes it got in their head...Did the same thing when I was a catcher in high school talked to the batters about stupid things...it worked a lot of the time....

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Correct so why do you keep hoping? He doesn’t have the ability to sustain something. This has been proven 

He's losing the ability to peak. Sustain is just not even in the cards.

2 hours ago, keesler said:

As it stands, some people continue to hold out hope that Gus will miraculously build an annual contender.  I mean he's had ample time to prove himself, eight years and multiple OC's and here we are in the same position we've been in for the past 5-6 yrs. 

No one is building an annual contender in the SEC West until Saban either slows down or retires. As far as being in the same position for the previous 5-6 years, see my first sentence. That pretty much applies to the SEC as a whole I think. Occasionally there's a team that breaks through -- LSU last year, AU in 2013 -- but for the most part there's bama and then there's everyone else.

17 hours ago, woodford said:

It sounds logical, but I don’t think his system works anymore because of the substitution rules. He also had a bad track record with QB development. Gus is the common denominator in all of Auburn’s problems. 

Gus can’t lead a program like Auburn. 

I'm so glad you brought up the substitution rule. I have long believed that that single rule change nutted his HUNH philosophy and essentially removed his competitive advantage.

On 12/2/2020 at 1:39 PM, tigeraddikt said:

I'm so glad you brought up the substitution rule. I have long believed that that single rule change nutted his HUNH philosophy and essentially removed his competitive advantage.

It’s sad that the one advantage a system has can topple the whole system.   If that is what removed his advantage, we know Gus is not the coach for us.  If you don’t know how to adapt when something is not working, you don’t know as much as you think you do about your profession.

Archived