Fire Gus

TitanTiger

28 minutes ago, USATiger said:

I am going to take that as a compliment, so forgive me if its sarcasm.  I haven't been on a message board in a long time.  haha

I was the one person years ago posting Gus' hiring was not a good move, then, the Fire Gus threads in other forums.  I quit posting on forums years ago because I realized the futility in it, and I have better ways to spend my time.  I won't go in to detail but early on in Gus' tenure I knew a lot about what was happening on the inside, while it wasn't a dumpster fire, it was apparent Auburn would not be elite with him as a HC.  Gus simply is not HC material.  I'm sure there are coaches here that may know what I am talking about but Gus isn't well received nor respected in the coaching community.   His ego is the size of Texas, and his willingness to learn, change, adapt is absolutely zero.

I despise bama as much as anyone, maybe more than anyone, but the truth is Saban doesn't have nearly the ego that Gus has.  He hires quality folks, then lets them do their job.  Hell, Mel Tucker changed Saban's entire philosophy on defensive personal and offensive recruiting.   Again, to adapt to the changes in how the game is played.   That will never happen with Gus.  Not opinion, facts!

I have been with you since the beginning!!!!!

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Wish I could give you a like for this. I was never on board with the hiring, either. Can't remember if I posted it to the forum or not. I also didn't have any inside information, just a gut feeling that Gus was only ever good because of the talent (Cam Netwon/Nick Marshall). Watching him hire people who just weren't qualified for the positions they had was enough to solidify my opinion. Instead of surrounding himself with people that were more experienced to make up for his inexperience, he hired former players that wouldn't say "no" to him.

Not keeping Jeff Grimes was my first confirmation that Gus was a bad hire.   By the way, wouldn’t mind that BYU offense right now on the Plains.

42 minutes ago, USATiger said:

I am going to take that as a compliment, so forgive me if its sarcasm.  I haven't been on a message board in a long time.  haha

I was the one person years ago posting Gus' hiring was not a good move, then, the Fire Gus threads in other forums.  I quit posting on forums years ago because I realized the futility in it, and I have better ways to spend my time.  I won't go in to detail but early on in Gus' tenure I knew a lot about what was happening on the inside, while it wasn't a dumpster fire, it was apparent Auburn would not be elite with him as a HC.  Gus simply is not HC material.  I'm sure there are coaches here that may know what I am talking about but Gus isn't well received nor respected in the coaching community.   His ego is the size of Texas, and his willingness to learn, change, adapt is absolutely zero.

I despise bama as much as anyone, maybe more than anyone, but the truth is Saban doesn't have nearly the ego that Gus has.  He hires quality folks, then lets them do their job.  Hell, Mel Tucker changed Saban's entire philosophy on defensive personal and offensive recruiting.   Again, to adapt to the changes in how the game is played.   That will never happen with Gus.  Not opinion, facts!

I love this post but have to disagree. I posted on here when we hired him that we made a mistake, felt like maybe I had underestimated him after 2013, but have felt vindicated ever since. My main man @GwillMac6will vouch for me on this, lol

Well if nothing happens this year it’s going to have to after next season.  You’re getting to the point in his current contract that if you don’t extend it again then it’s going to hurt recruiting more than the things that are already occurring.  Gus won’t make it to the end of the current contract if his record is 8-4 or 13-0.  The bar next year is SEC championship or bust.  He gets a chance to beat LSU on the road for the 1st time since 99.  He gets Bama and UGA at home and a wildcard Penn State on the road.  He either gets fired or extended at the end of next year.

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

I love this post but have to disagree. I posted on here when we hired him that we made a mistake, felt like maybe I had underestimated him after 2013, but have felt vindicated ever since. My main man @GwillMac6will vouch for me on this, lol

Sorry not sure how "one" made it into the sentence.  I would blame drunk posting but I've given up drinking on Saturdays.  I can't even get motivated to eat, drink and be merry during games anymore.  haha

I know how @GwillMac6feels so I am confident you are man of your word.  

I was very thankful for the chance to play for the championship in 2013, but worried that it would overshadow the complete lack of situational awareness during multiple games that year that we should have cost us a W.  My biggest fear was Gus would be rewarded, unnecessarily, just like 2017.  I've been right 4-5 times in my life, 2 of them were about Gus.  lol

50 minutes ago, USATiger said:

I'm not here to argue, but you cannot be serious about possessions.   We had a possession to end the first half that we gave up.  Going 3 & out or only getting one 1st down per drive, and no points doesn't help the defense either.   Our defense is bad, we have 2 guys that have taken 95% of the snaps this season at MLB'er.  D-line recruiting has been off, but not nearly as bad as O-line recruiting which is directly on Gus.  Hell, it's all on the HC.   Just listen to any competent HC, they take responsibility for everything, good, bad, indifferent.   Gus has, and never will, take responsibility.

a&m's defense is bad, no excuse for not scoring 30.  Best way to hide a bad defense is to keep the offense on the field, and get TD's not kick field goals.  Gus is an offense guy his offense should be A+.  Even the best defenses in the game give up chunks of yards, and points these days.  

We scored on 4 possessions. Minus the one at the end of the half how many possessions did we actually have? I feel like we scored on about half of our possessions

I just wanted to make a small cameo appearance in an official "fire gus" thread.  

Outside of football and politics, I pray y'all are doing well and (for those with families) making the most the time you have with them and (for those without) making the most of your time and enjoying life.

Not sure what was expected of this bizarre scrimmage of a season but I'd still be shocked if Gus gets fired.  But I hope he does, for y'alls sakes, and the PTB make a great hire for you.

We're in TN, enjoying the seasonal weather....well, the girls & I are, anyway.  Not my wife so much, although she is enjoying being closer to family.

Ruby & Emme even saw their first snow the other day!!

Alright, I've interrupted the regularly scheduled venting enough.  For those so inclined, please pray for us as I begin a new chemo treatment on the 14th.  My cancer is very advanced at this point (I'm in a lot of pain in my liver & kidneys now) but I also know nothing's too tough for Our Lord.

Y'alls prayers have been powerful for me in the past.  I thank you!

God bless, War Eagle & go get Cristobal!!!

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

I just wanted to make a small cameo appearance in an official "fire gus" thread.  

Outside of football and politics, I pray y'all are doing well and (for those with families) making the most the time you have with them and (for those without) making the most of your time and enjoying life.

Not sure what was expected of this bizarre scrimmage of a season but I'd still be shocked if Gus gets fired.  But I hope he does, for y'alls sakes, and the PTB make a great hire for you.

We're in TN, enjoying the seasonal weather....well, the girls & I are, anyway.  Not my wife so much, although she is enjoying being closer to family.

Ruby & Emme even saw their first snow the other day!!

Alright, I've interrupted the regularly scheduled venting enough.  For those so inclined, please pray for us as I begin a new chemo treatment on the 14th.  My cancer is very advanced at this point (I'm in a lot of pain in my liver & kidneys now) but I also know nothing's too tough for Our Lord.

Y'alls prayers have been powerful for me in the past.  I thank you!

God bless, War Eagle & go get Cristobal!!!

Good to see you here 72.  God Bless.

11 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Well if nothing happens this year it’s going to have to after next season.  You’re getting to the point in his current contract that if you don’t extend it again then it’s going to hurt recruiting more than the things that are already occurring.  Gus won’t make it to the end of the current contract if his record is 8-4 or 13-0.  The bar next year is SEC championship or bust.  He gets a chance to beat LSU on the road for the 1st time since 99.  He gets Bama and UGA at home and a wildcard Penn State on the road.  He either gets fired or extended at the end of next year.

As I mentioned earlier, I am afraid this is going to happen, but the repercussions will be felt throughout the Auburn community.   Folks in Auburn need a big rebound next football season, and an apathetic fan base won't help much.  This is bigger than just the football program, which will be an absolute mess.  Recruiting is terrible and will be worse, our opponents have so much fire power on the recruiting trail as it is.  The transfer portal is about to get even crazier if Gus is still coaching.  If you are a competent AD, you have a list of goals and performance measures for each team.   None of the typical ones are trending upwards.  

It’s less painful if you just step away.  I didn’t watch a second of the game today.  Today I hunted and looked for farmland with family.  Had a nice lunch out.  Magnificent day up here in TN.  I’ve already accepted that our football program is dying and it will take a few more years of decline for our school to act.

is what it is

Gus has lost 4 or more games for the 7th straight season. 

Do not give me that “who can we get that’s better” crap. A lot of people can do better than that. 

22 minutes ago, fredst said:

Said that when we hired him as OC.  AS  HC he confirmed my worst nightmares with every OC hire he made and his willingness to retread OL coaches.

5 minutes ago, shabby said:

We scored on 4 possessions. Minus the one at the end of the half how many possessions did we actually have? I feel like we scored on about half of our possessions

I don't know, don't care to look.  I do know football, it's my life, literally and figuratively.  Gus' offenses have consistently placed undue stress on the defense because he is incompetent.   

My question to you and any other Gus defenders, how many extra possessions has our defenses in the past given us that the offense didn't capitalize on?  Last years defense handed us a birth in the playoffs by holding LSU and Florida way below their offensive averages.  What did the offense do with those extra possessions?  Nothing. What about the loss to USCe this year, one of the worse defenses in CFB.  What did our offensive guru do against them?  Very little

You look at Auburn's losses the past 4 years.  Steele's defenses have held opponents below their scoring averages most of the time.  Yet, we still lose those games.   Hell, last years Iron Bowl is a loss without the defense scoring.     

Using today's defensive performance to take the heat off of Gus is very near-sighted, more like tunnel-vision.   Gus is a good guy, nothing is his fault or responsibility.  I get it

1 minute ago, jAUSon said:

You might be on to something

Why am I thinking of the South Park episode “Death Camp of Tolerance?”

5 minutes ago, USATiger said:

I don't know, don't care to look.  I do know football, it's my life, literally and figuratively.  Gus' offenses have consistently placed undue stress on the defense because he is incompetent.   

My question to you and any other Gus defenders, how many extra possessions has our defenses in the past given us that the offense didn't capitalize on?  Last years defense handed us a birth in the playoffs by holding LSU and Florida way below their offensive averages.  What did the offense do with those extra possessions?  Nothing. What about the loss to USCe this year, one of the worse defenses in CFB.  What did our offensive guru do against them?  Very little

You look at Auburn's losses the past 4 years.  Steele's defenses have held opponents below their scoring averages most of the time.  Yet, we still lose those games.   Hell, last years Iron Bowl is a loss without the defense scoring.     

Using today's defensive performance to take the heat off of Gus is very near-sighted, more like tunnel-vision.   Gus is a good guy, nothing is his fault or responsibility.  I get it

2783229D-4481-47C7-A714-FFF80484608F.gif

People keep talking about Gus apologists, and I really want to know who the hell they're talking about. I honestly don't think I've met a single one. Are there really people out there insane enough to still support this abomination?

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Gus has lost 4 or more games for the 7th straight season. 

Do not give me that “who can we get that’s better” crap. A lot of people can do better than that. 

I heard a couple people today who have thought about this way more than me bring up some good points.

1) If Auburn does make the move its got to be a winner.  With as strong as LSU, Bama, UGA, and TaMu are on the recruiting trail and the emergence of Florida you have to hire someone who can compete with that.  If you bring in someone who struggles then its very possible that it could get worse and set Auburn back ala Tennessee or Florida State.  The payout Auburn would have to pay along with what they'd have to spend on the new staff plus the deficit the Athletic Department will run this year will mean whoever the next guy is will probably be untouchable for several years win or lose.

2) Its not guaranteed Auburn gets who it wants.  There could be other high profile openings that come available and I'm sure they would be going after the Cristobals and Freezes as well.  That goes back to #1 and Auburn ends up worse than it is now.  Also there's no guarantee that the coach we want is going to be successful at Auburn.  Hermann is an example of the flavor of the week when he was hired by Texas and he's done nothing.  Freeze wasn't setting the world on fire his last year or two at Ole Miss.  Cristobal has had an improving record at Oregon but he's had some head scratchers too.  

Auburn has to be very calculated if they make a move

12 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

People keep talking about Gus apologists, and I really want to know who the hell they're talking about. I honestly don't think I've met a single one. Are there really people out there insane enough to still support this abomination?

You weren’t reading this forum last weekend, were you?

51 minutes ago, fredst said:

Absolutely I will mr fred!!!! You were staunchly against keeping him in 2017!!! We should of all listened to you. We all were blinded by beating two number 1 teams.... Smh.

18 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I heard a couple people today who have thought about this way more than me bring up some good points.

1) If Auburn does make the move its got to be a winner.  With as strong as LSU, Bama, UGA, and TaMu are on the recruiting trail and the emergence of Florida you have to hire someone who can compete with that.  If you bring in someone who struggles then its very possible that it could get worse and set Auburn back ala Tennessee or Florida State.  The payout Auburn would have to pay along with what they'd have to spend on the new staff plus the deficit the Athletic Department will run this year will mean whoever the next guy is will probably be untouchable for several years win or lose.

2) Its not guaranteed Auburn gets who it wants.  There could be other high profile openings that come available and I'm sure they would be going after the Cristobals and Freezes as well.  That goes back to #1 and Auburn ends up worse than it is now.  Also there's no guarantee that the coach we want is going to be successful at Auburn.  Hermann is an example of the flavor of the week when he was hired by Texas and he's done nothing.  Freeze wasn't setting the world on fire his last year or two at Ole Miss.  Cristobal has had an improving record at Oregon but he's had some head scratchers too.  

Auburn has to be very calculated if they make a move

You don’t make the move unless you have the next guy committed. 

Minimum= the next guy will keep the best players on the field, use the final possession of the half, and call for a replay on a dropped pass. Nevermind the recruiting shortcomings, not playing well, execution, game plan, etc, etc, etc. Sure all that's bad coaching. But this is another one of those games he loses with his decisions that would have been otherwise won on the field. I can't take another mismanaged gameplan from this idiot. 

It's over.

33 minutes ago, USATiger said:

You don't get it. Im simply examining this game. Im not looking to make a statement about a coach. Thats all you. Im simply pointing out that the defense today didn't give the offense many opportunities to score. Its a product of a bend dont break philosophy which limits offensive productivity. 

Archived