Worst Auburn performance you ever witnessed

AUght2win

So many of the games above mentioned I was at.  The USC game was the start of my senior year so that hurt extra bad.  2008 and 2012 Vandy games were bad.  Anytime you lose to Vandy is real bad.  2012 Arkansas is way up there too.  They were bad and completely dominated Auburn.  Been to a couple games in Athens that were bad but still had a good time because Athens is awesome.  2003 Ole Miss at home left me the angriest.  Maybe things will change with Harsin but at this point the games don’t affect me one way or the other after they’re over.  I think 2014 in Pasadena broke me.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, JTFazz said:

1980 on the Plains, Tennessee 42-0... the beginning of the end for Doug Barfield.

My whole family sans me went. Said after the game, as Barfield was coming off the field, a guy right above the tunnel yelled "Hey Coach!". Barfield looked right up at him. The fan dumped TWO FULL COKES right on his face.

To this day, Dad says "I still don't know why Barfield looked up."

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

So many of the games above mentioned I was at.  The USC game was the start of my senior year so that hurt extra bad.  2008 and 2012 Vandy games were bad.  Anytime you lose to Vandy is real bad.  2012 Arkansas is way up there too.  They were bad and completely dominated Auburn.  Been to a couple games in Athens that were bad but still had a good time because Athens is awesome.  2003 Ole Miss at home left me the angriest.  Maybe things will change with Harsin but at this point the games don’t affect me one way or the other after they’re over.  I think 2014 in Pasadena broke me.

The real bad thing about 2008 Vandy was GameDay was there. About 1000% sure it hasn't been before or since. But the narrative that day was Vandy was on a rare run of decency and had a chance to win a big game.

Vandy's short lived glory came at the cost of Auburn with the entire world watching.

8 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

The real bad thing about 2008 Vandy was GameDay was there. About 1000% sure it hasn't been before or since. But the narrative that day was Vandy was on a rare run of decency and had a chance to win a big game.

Vandy's short lived glory came at the cost of Auburn with the entire world watching.

I’d have to do some digging but I think the last time Auburn played Vandy at their place was 2012.  Both times it was the worst Auburn team in years and the best Vandy team in years.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Tennessee '18

Clemson '16 & '17

UGA '14 & '16

LSU '17

MSU '08

Arkansas '06

Georgia Tech '03

I am glad you mention Georgia Tech.Was it 03 or 05 GT game where they had Reggie Ball and Calvin Johnson? I think we lost both.

2012 Iron Bowl was worst I have seen in person. 

9 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I am glad you mention Georgia Tech.Was it 03 or 05 GT game where they had Reggie Ball and Calvin Johnson? I think we lost both.

2012 Iron Bowl was worst I have seen in person. 

Both GT games were inexcusable. In 2005 we let them come into JHS and end our win streak and all momentum from 2004.

12 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Both GT games were inexcusable. In 2005 we let them come into JHS and end our win streak and all momentum from 2004.

I think 05 was the one I am thinking about bc like you said we were coming off an undefeated season and that game just hurt. Just absolutely deflated me. It had to be that one because I remember Megatron and he wasn't at GT until 04 I don't think. 

2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I think 05 was the one I am thinking about bc like you said we were coming off an undefeated season and that game just hurt. Just absolutely deflated me. It had to be that one because I remember Megatron and he wasn't at GT until 04 I don't think. 

Correct. The 03 loss was bad too. But it was in Atlanta and we were still reeling from the USC thrashing. I think that was the day Jetgate was likely hatched.

8 hours ago, AUght2win said:

My whole family sans me went. Said after the game, as Barfield was coming off the field, a guy right above the tunnel yelled "Hey Coach!". Barfield looked right up at him. The fan dumped TWO FULL COKES right on his face.

To this day, Dad says "I still don't know why Barfield looked up."

My entire family also went to that game. In fact, I had just gotten my license and drove. On Wire Road going to the stadium, a bird flew right into the driver's side windshield. I about had a heart attack. I should have taken that as an omen to turn around and go back home.

2001 Iron Bowl, Coach Dye had been to a practice the week of the game and told me before kickoff "the boys aren't ready for this game".  He was right.  

1996 vs UF in Gainesville...the Gators dominated us after the 1st quarter.  We lost 55-10 and as we left the stadium some students/fans decided to pour urine from the top of the seating onto Auburn students/fans leaving the stadium.  It was early evening and we just went to the house we were staying at and kind of moped around.  It was so deflating.  My first Auburn away game as a student.  That was a crappy drive home to Auburn the next morning.  From what I can remember, Gainesville is a S**thole of a town anyway...no need to go back.

I will pick one that we won.  The 1984 georgia tech game.  We were up 41-0 at the half I believe.   Our offense and defense went in the tank the 2n half.  Our offense scored a touchdown in the 4th quarter and I think we won 48-34 but I don't believe I saw a worse 2nd half performance.

2003 Southern Cal

2003 LSU

2008 Iron Bowl 

2009 4 game skid (no one particular game they all sucked. Probably the Kentucky game if I had to pick one)

2011 and 2012 Georgia (tie)

2011 Florida (we won but holy shite that was bad)

2012 TAMU

2018 Tennessee

2019 Minnesota

2020 Georgia and Northwestern (still can’t believe I’m typing that out)

There are a lot of Gus honorable mentions 

38 minutes ago, Carnell said:

I will pick one that we won.  The 1984 georgia tech game.  We were up 41-0 at the half I believe.   Our offense and defense went in the tank the 2n half.  Our offense scored a touchdown in the 4th quarter and I think we won 48-34 but I don't believe I saw a worse 2nd half performance.

Worst performances in games we won is a good prompt. 2011 Utah State has to be in there. Coming off a national title we required a miracle to beat UTAH STATE at home. I mean that game truly was miraculous.

14 hours ago, JTFazz said:

1980 on the Plains, Tennessee 42-0... the beginning of the end for Doug Barfield.

I was at that game.  The west side upper deck was new and we sat there for the slaughter.  Never sat there again.  

21 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

FSU @ Auburn, 1987. Loss at home, 34-6. 

Came here to say this.... as did many of you. got so sick of the tomahawk chop by the 2nd quarter that it caused me to hate the Braves when they were stacking up pennants. I was 10 years old and still haven't gotten over the trauma.

I wasn't there, but I can't believe this game hasn't been mentioned. Auburn-UGA 2006. Both losses from that year were AWFUL. But we were number 5, at home, with UGA unranked. We were still very much in the national title hunt.

Brandon Cox was a vet at that point, and went 4-12 for 35 yards with 4 INTs. 

It was a downpour that day and the stands emptied out early. I have never seen JHS that empty outside of a pandemic. 

19 hours ago, Strychnine said:

I consider that the worst game I ever experienced in Jordan-Hare.  Going to it was basically a last-minute thing, and we ended up with USC fans all around us.  Fortunately, they were mostly gracious, but the intended tribute to Fyffe, followed by a shutout, was painful.

I paid $300 for a pair of tickets to witness it.

6 hours ago, Carnell said:

Reminds me of the 1996 Army game. Dameyune was on fire the first 3 quarters. Up 32-7 going into the 4th Q. Army dominated the 4th Q with their Wishbone and would have won in OT, but missed a 27-yard FG with 33 seconds left. I had never been more relieved about a game when he missed it.

Archived