Gatewood enters transfer portal

Tigermike

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Just highlighting this part again, clearly a lot of people very logically and reasonably have more belief than that.

I don't think that belief is logical or reasonable.  It just meets the technical definition of "possible."

That's a perfectly valid comment and much more reasonable and palatable than your initial post with which I took issue.

Eh.  I think it's as close to a fact as you can get without being on the field at all the practices.  Joey hasn't shown anything to indicate he even belongs in an FBS QB room at two different schools now, neither of which had world beaters ahead of him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't think that belief is logical or reasonable.  It just meets the technical definition of "possible."

It's every bit as valid as your assumption. 

Joey hasn't shown anything to indicate he even belongs in an FBS QB room

Bo has? Is it the sub-60% completion percentage or the 13 picks through 24 games? 

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

at two different schools now, neither of which had world beaters ahead of him.

A 3 yr starter who had better stats than Bo in some very important categories (by the way, you offered a lot of ifs and buts but forgot to add that Terry Wilson was throwing to Kentucky receivers and not Seth Williams, Eli Stove or Anthony Schwartz), a 4* and the #13 pro style QB in the country out of high school (apologies for the brain fart/thanks for the correction), and a Penn State transfer who can hit the crossbar from 50 yds from his knees. 

His failure to win the Kentucky job isn't proof of anything whatsoever with regards to how good he is relative to Bo Nix. 

59 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's every bit as valid as your assumption. 

I disagree.

Bo has? Is it the sub-60% completion percentage or the 13 picks through 24 games? 

I think the point is, he couldn't beat out a guy at Auburn who had 13 picks through 24 games.  And then he couldn't beat out a guy who had 12 picks through a similar number of games and who threw more than 200 fewer passes to get that many INTs.

A 3 yr starter who had better stats than Bo in some very important categories (by the way, you offered a lot of ifs and buts but forgot to add that Terry Wilson was throwing to Kentucky receivers and not Seth Williams, Eli Stove or Anthony Schwartz), a 4* and the #13 pro style QB in the country out of high school (apologies for the brain fart/thanks for the correction), and a Penn State transfer who can hit the crossbar from 50 yds from his knees. 

His failure to win the Kentucky job isn't proof of anything whatsoever with regards to how good he is relative to Bo Nix. 

I think it is all things considered.  Wilson had a better completion percentage and was a better run threat and that's about the extent of his better stats relative to Bo, even with a better OL protecting him.  Their yards per attempt are similar.  They basically threw the same amount of INTs even though Bo attempted 214 more passes.  Bo threw 8 more TDs.  Wilson has better rushing stats because he was a running QB.

Here are their stats to compare:

Wilson (sophomore season):  180 of 268, 67.2 comp %, 1889 yds, 7 yds per attempt, 11 TDs, 8 INTs

Nix (true freshman):  217 of 377, 57.6%, 2542 yds, 6.7 ypa, 16 TDs, 6 INTs
Wilson (junior): minuscule yardage stats - didn't even finish two games due to injury - 2 TDs, 0 INTs

Nix (sophomore): 214 for 357, 59.9%, 2415 yds, 6.8 ypa, 12 TDs, 7 INTs
Wilson (senior):  125 for 200, 62.5%, 1187 yds, 5.9 ypa, 7 TDs, 4 INTs

Career
Nix:  431 for 734, 58.9%, 4957 yds, 6.8 ypa, 28 TDs, 13 INTs
Wilson:  338 for 520, 65%, 3436 yds, 6.6 ypa, 20 TDs, 12 INTs

Rushing Stats (career)
Nix:  205 carries for 701 yds, 3.4 yds per carry, 14 TDs
Wilson:  256 carries for 1015 yds, 4 yds per carry, 10 TDs

All purpose yards, TDs (career)
Nix:  5658 yds, 42 TDs
Wilson:  4477 yds, 30 TDs

Basically the only stats where Wilson is a bit better are completion percentage and he was clearly better running the ball.  And for all of his stats, he's two years ahead of Nix in experience.  Nix had better receivers, Wilson had a better OL, and for one year he had better RBs too.

I think logic tells you that if Joey was better than Bo, he should have also been better than Wilson.  But he wasn't and it apparently wasn't even close.

10 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I think logic tells you that if Joey was better than Bo, he should have also been better than Wilson.

There are many degrees of possibility that are in play. In fact, there are only two that aren't, and you've picked one of them. 

Maybe one day we'll know what Joey's ceiling is, but we certainly don't yet and I'm not sure what the rush is to declare otherwise. 

There are many degrees of possibility that are in play. In fact, there are only two that aren't, and you've picked one of them. 

Maybe one day we'll know what Joey's ceiling is, but we certainly don't yet and I'm not sure what the rush is to declare otherwise. 

I think we do - as a QB at the college level.  You just don't want to admit it.

However, I think given his body type, height and athletic ability, the ceiling for him at TE is probably worth exploring.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

I think we do - as a QB at the college level.  You just don't want to admit it.

Oh, I'll be happy to acknowledge that Joey just wasn't very good if ever shown to be the case. I'm not particularly invested in his success as a QB. Certainly not nearly as invested as you seem to be in prematurely announcing otherwise. 

I wonder why that is, by the way? Care to explain your impatience? Some weird allegiance to Gus? Just really want that feel good legacy story to come true? I'm curious why you can't wait another season or two to bag and tag this kid's career. 

10 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

However, I think given his body type, height and athletic ability, the ceiling for him at TE is probably worth exploring.

Good idea. Somebody should probably suggest that to him. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Oh, I'll be happy to acknowledge that Joey just wasn't very good if ever shown to be the case. I'm not particularly invested in his success as a QB. Certainly not nearly as invested as you seem to be in prematurely announcing otherwise. 

I really don't think going into his fourth year out of high school and with three years as a backup under his belt, with at least two years of that being given realistic shots at taking the job, any announcement about his prospects at QB could be considered "premature."

Just now, McLoofus said:

I wonder why that is, by the way? Care to explain your impatience? Some weird allegiance to Gus? Just really want that feel good legacy story to come true? I'm curious why you can't wait another season or two to bag and tag this kid's career. 

Good idea. Somebody should probably suggest that to him. 

I have zero allegiance to Gus.  Literally none.  Probably less than zero.  I've been quite vocally critical of his QB evaluation, his QB development, his predictable playcalling, his offensive line evals and recruiting, his basic WR route trees, his stubbornness, you name it.  I was glad to see him go.  I literally have no idea where any notion that I would be saying this due to any affinity for Gus would come from even if you only caught 1 out of every 10 of my posts on the subject.

I just simply never saw (or really even heard from insiders) anything out of Gatewood at this level that suggested he was ready to be a starter.  I hoped he'd be the man back in 2019 frankly because I am loathe to trust a true freshman at QB in this league and would have liked to see Nix sit a year or so before having it all on him.  That didn't materialize and I think now we know why.  Stoops and his OCs saw the same things Gus and Chip Lindsey saw - lots of raw athleticism and size, a willing attitude, and little else to recommend him for the starting job.  Even with the middling guys he was up against for it.  So I didn't buy that Nix was somehow handed the job over him undeservedly back in 2019 and I've seen nothing at UK since then to make me reconsider that position.

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I literally have no idea where any notion that I would be saying this due to any affinity for Gus would come from

It's as good a reason as any to just completely dismiss any possibility that Gatewood would've been a better QB1 for Auburn the last two years or to declare that Bo definitely wasn't given the job due to favoritism. I think you can see how that reads as a defense of Gus's decision making. 

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

So I didn't buy that Nix was somehow handed the job over him undeservedly back in 2019 and I've seen nothing at UK since then to make me reconsider that position.

Again, a perfectly palatable and defensible position and a healthy step back from the original one.  :thumbsup:

I'll also say this:  I have no need to be proven right on this.  Joey seems like a really good kid - the kind of teammate you want and the kind of player you like to coach.  I like to see good guys flourish.  So if he transfers some place and balls out as a QB, I'll be glad to hear it.  But he's going into his fourth full season in college and I just don't see anything to suggest he's good enough to be a QB at this level.  Like, literally zilch.  I think the writing is on the wall here and a position change is his best shot at the league.  Maybe I'm wrong. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 2

Very weird considering a lot of the rumors of the Joey/Bo battle not being real, Gus screwing over Gatewood, and even some perceived racial issues...

• Haha 4
  • Facepalm 3

Gotta wonder how Big Kat's mom is taking the news, or was it not Gus...but he just bowed to the racist boosters?

So Bo is not an SEC caliber QB?  Then who is?  The other QB(s) that have beaten Bama in the last couple of years?  That would be Joe Burrow and ????? (insert Bo's name here).   Bo has his issues that he needs to take care of but..... 

Good luck to Joey wherever he lands but a lot of former players are joining Gus.  Brown and Davidson came back to play for Gus when they could have left for $$$$.  I was as frustrated with Gus as most everyone else but the players love him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, penguin149 said:

So Bo is not an SEC caliber QB?  Then who is?  The other QB(s) that have beaten Bama in the last couple of years?  That would be Joe Burrow and ????? (insert Bo's name here).   Bo has his issues that he needs to take care of but..... 

Good luck to Joey wherever he lands but a lot of former players are joining Gus.  Brown and Davidson came back to play for Gus when they could have left for $$$$.  I was as frustrated with Gus as most everyone else but the players love him.

I'm curious which other SEC schools at which you think Bo would've started every game of the last two seasons. By the way, he had less than 225 yards of total offense and scored the same number of touchdowns as the defense in that Iron Bowl. You sure you want to characterize it as *him* winning that game?

As for Joey, it'll certainly be curious if he ends up at UCF. Just occurred to me that I'm more interested in watching a Gus Malzahn-coached team than I have been in a minute.

Edit: Bo played well in that IB. Don't want to give the impression that I think otherwise. But a whole lot of people made huge plays in that game.

Edited by McLoofus

13 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Very weird considering a lot of the rumors of the Joey/Bo battle not being real, Gus screwing over Gatewood, and even some perceived racial issues...

Where have you seen that race played into Gatewood not becoming the starter?

7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Where have you seen that race played into Gatewood not becoming the starter?

Big Kat's mom mentioned it when she decided to blast Auburn on twitter and defend her son, then it was mentioned in that thread discussing it.  Someone claimed he talked to players on the team who told him that

14 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Wow. The players sure do like Gus. Often to their own detriment.

2 hours ago, cbo said:

Wow. The players sure do like Gus. Often to their own detriment.

@TitanTiger might be 100% right and Gus might be the only FBS coach in the country willing to bring him on as a "QB" at this point. Because we know that Gus will say things, and he might even think he means them. 

If Joey ends up back there then I concede just about every point I've argued on the matter. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

@TitanTiger might be 100% right and Gus might be the only FBS coach in the country willing to bring him on as a "QB" at this point. Because we know that Gus will say things, and he might even think he means them. 

If Joey ends up back there then I concede just about every point I've argued on the matter. 

Yeah, this was a M Night Shyalaman twist to the Gatewood story. I would have assumed he'd want nothing to do with Gus. 

I have serious doubts Joey will ever be a starting QB. Like you said, maybe his options are limited. 

• Like 2

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-wildcats/news/joey-gatewood-expected-to-transfer-home-to-central-florida/

Joey Gatewood expected to transfer home to Central Florida

After being told he would not be the starter at Kentucky (as was predicted by many of us) he entered the transfer portal and Gus picked him up.

Edited by AU-24
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1