Gatewood enters transfer portal

Tigermike

In 3...2...1...             Gus is such a terrible coach that he ruined this young man while at AU. 🙄

Good luck Joey.  Wherever you may land.

• Like 1

Shame. I had high hopes for Gatewood and he showed a ton of potential.

But man... unless somehow Mark Stoops is equally as bad as Gus when it come to evaluating and/or developing talent, then perhaps there are some folks who owe Mr. Malzahn an apology 🙄

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

But man... unless somehow Mark Stoops is equally as bad as Gus when it come to evaluating and/or developing talent, then perhaps there are some folks who owe Mr. Malzahn an apology 🙄

No apology needed. Another evaluation miss by Gus. The man wouldn't know QB talent if he tripped over it. He wanted Joey because he looks like Tarzan. Gus still looking for that big QB that can get you that third, and four run even when facing an eight man front.

Unless my memory fails me, Gatewood wasn't even the starter in high school.

Edited by Eagle-1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

No apology needed. Another evaluation miss by Gus. The man wouldn't know QB talent if he tripped over it. He wanted Joey because he looks like Tarzan. Gus still looking for that big QB that can get you that third, and four run even when facing an eight man front.

Gatewood was a 4* QB prospect coming out of high school.  Apparently a lot of people missed on him. https://auburn.rivals.com/commitments/Football/2018

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

This is what gets me. If you're REALLY that talented, you don't split reps on your high school team.

This was the tell that we should have all picked up on.

I wish him well but he clearly wasn't going to be the player we all envisioned/hoped he would be.

• Like 4

Yeah, we can talk all day about Gus's poor QB development, poor QB evals and whether Bo Nix ought to be better than he's been in spite of all the crap with our offense the last two years, but one thing that clearly needs to be buried for good is the idea that Joey Gatewood should have started over Bo.  He couldn't beat out Bo, who clearly has work to do of his own, he couldn't beat out a converted WR last year at UK, and after spring practice and going into fall camp, he's no higher than 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart so he's transferring again.

The issue with Gatewood vs Bo was clearly not favoritism.  Joey is just not an SEC caliber QB, possibly not even FBS caliber and he probably needs to give heavy consideration to moving to another position such as TE.

• Like 9

11 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

well now gus did refuse to let joey play when his folks made a long drive up to see it and gus did not keep his word. but he does look better knowing maybe joey was not that good? i never hated gus and still do not but i was upset about gatewoods folks.

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Yeah, we can talk all day about Gus's poor QB development, poor QB evals and whether Bo Nix ought to be better than he's been in spite of all the crap with our offense the last two years, but one thing that clearly needs to be buried for good is the idea that Joey Gatewood should have started over Bo.  He couldn't beat out Bo, who clearly has work to do of his own, he couldn't beat out a converted WR last year at UK, and after spring practice and going into fall camp, he's no higher than 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart so he's transferring again.

The issue with Gatewood vs Bo was clearly not favoritism.  Joey is just not an SEC caliber QB, possibly not even FBS caliber and he probably needs to give heavy consideration to moving to another position such as TE.

well sources in the know just said bo is not as good as the staff had hoped. it is selfish but at my age i would hope for a couple more golden years of auburn foorball but i might not get that.

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

well sources in the know just said bo is not as good as the staff had hoped. it is selfish but at my age i would hope for a couple more golden years of auburn foorball but i might not get that.

I still think you have to say the jury is out on Bo because of just how terrible Gus was at QB development, how simplistic the offensive scheme was (which gets regularly ridiculed by NFL scouts), and how terrible the OL play (and recruitment) has been while Bo's been here.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

one thing that clearly needs to be buried for good is the idea that Joey Gatewood should have started over Bo

The issue with Gatewood vs Bo was clearly not favoritism.

Incorrect. You assume that Bo would have started over those other guys, too. That's far from a given. 

Joey is just not an SEC caliber QB

That would seem to be the case at this point but, again, Bo hasn't proven to be an SEC caliber QB, either. I mean, technically he is, but only by default. 

Just now, TitanTiger said:

I still think you have to say the jury is out on Bo because of just how terrible Gus was at QB development, how simplistic the offensive scheme was (which gets regularly ridiculed by NFL scouts), and how terrible the OL play (and recruitment) has been while Bo's been here.  

i agree. bo is a winner and i will pull for him like everyone else. we killed finley last year with a subpar d so it is almost bo or nothing unless the game slows down for dd.

• TitanTiger changed the title to Gatewood enters transfer portal
16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Incorrect. You assume that Bo would have started over those other guys, too. That's far from a given. 

If Joey was a clearly better QB than Bo, he should be able to beat a WR being shoehorned into the spot at Kentucky.  Dude wasn't competing with the QB room at UGA or Alabama.  The fact that he couldn't, should tell you at the very least that he wasn't any better than Bo.  And logically, it tells me he just wasn't as good as Bo.

That would seem to be the case at this point but, again, Bo hasn't proven to be an SEC caliber QB, either. I mean, technically he is, but only by default. 

I think both things are/can be true.  Bo may not be an SEC caliber QB (yet) AND Joey is even further below that.  The UK job was there for the taking and JG couldn't take it.  He's on year three at UK and still can't take the job and isn't even guaranteed to be the 2nd stringer.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

Gatewood was a 4* QB prospect coming out of high school.  Apparently a lot of people missed on him. https://auburn.rivals.com/commitments/Football/2018

gus pulled a kid from nowhere and almost won a natty with him. so gus does know a little about qb's.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I do think this is a fair point - we don't know whether Bo would have ended up in the same position as Gatewood at Kentucky, we can only speculate. Kid from Penn State sounds like he has a lot going for him. 

But everything else is just speculation, too. I do think that at this point, the evidence weighs more heavily toward Gatewood just not being as good of a QB as Nix. I'm not willing to say that is clearly the case, but if I were arguing this case in court, I'd much rather be on that side of the argument. 

Edited by Barnacle

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

If Joey was a clearly better QB than Bo

Not arguing that he was. The only thing I've ever argued is that there were times when Gus should have given him a shot when Bo was clearly ineffective and only getting worse with every series and I 100% stand by that. Especially since Gus was given to the definition of insanity in general when it came to decisions on offense.

Dude wasn't competing with the QB room at UGA or Alabama.  The fact that he couldn't, even with a 'redshirt' year to prepare, should tell you at the very least that he wasn't any better than Bo.  And logically, it tells me he just wasn't as good as Bo.

Bo's been a full time starter for two years and he's still not very good at all. So, no, that "shouldn't" tell me that at all. And I get that it logically tells you that and that's a very defensible position. What is not is mistaking your logical assumption for fact. That's all I was responding to previously.

I think both things are/can be true.  Bo may not be an SEC caliber QB (yet) AND Joey is even further below that.

Totally agree, and that is *likely* the case. It's just not a certainty nor remotely close to one. Well, actually, I shouldn't say that. Again with Bo now having two full seasons under his belt whereas Joey hasn't gotten that experience. But two years ago... yeah... not even close to being a given.

The UK job was there for the taking and JG couldn't take it.  He's on year three at UK and still can't take the job and isn't even guaranteed to be the 2nd stringer.

Again, you seem to assume Bo would have won the job after transferring there. That's not a logical assumption. 

11 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

But everything else is just speculation, too. I do think that at this point, the evidence weighs more heavily toward Gatewood just not being as good of a QB as Nix. I'm not willing to say that is clearly the case, but if I were arguing this case in court, I'd much rather be on that side of the argument. 

Objection! Sustained! You're out of order.

Agreed about the evidence. Just don't agree with the "well obviously we now know for a fact" closing argument. 

This is from last year:

After Saturday’s debacle vs. Missouri, it was inevitable that some big changes came on this week’s depth chart for the Kentucky Wildcats.

Now that Georgia week is here, a new depth chart has been posted, and it has the starting quarter spot listed as Terry Wilson ‘OR’ Joey Gatewood. Wilson has been struggling mightily in recent weeks, and that was painfully true Saturday as he completed 3/9 passes for 35 yards and one score while running for -2 yards on five carries. 

Gatewood did get some run in the game, but it only amounted to about 10 offensive snaps as he completed just 1/4 passes for 12 yards with three runs for six yards...

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2020/10/26/21534575/joey-gatewood-terry-wilson-kentucky-wildcats-depth-chart-georgia-football

Gatewood got the start the next week vs UGA and went 15 of 25 for 91 yards.  The very next week, Wilson was the starter again with Beau Allen as the backup.  Gatewood appeared in only 2 of the remaining 4 games after that, going a combined 0 for 5 passing.

I think you have to do a whole lot of mental gymnastics to come away with the idea that Bo Nix couldn't beat out a converted WR who went 3 of 9 for 35 yards and (-2) yds rushing on five carries vs Missouri.  Terry Wilson wasn't lighting it up and making it difficult for Gatewood to take the spot.  Joey just wasn't good enough.  

It's doubtful he was ever good enough.  Two coaching staffs have now come to this conclusion.  We can leave some sliver of belief out there in the realm of "anything's possible" regarding Gatewood vs Nix, but I think the preponderance of the evidence says that Bo - even with all his issues - was still the superior QB between the two of them.

• Like 1

Oh, as for the "converted WR" thing, Terry Wilson maintained a completion percentage for all 3 seasons he was the starter that was meaningfully higher than Bo Nix's in either season he's been the starter at Auburn.

So no, Joey wasn't fighting for the job at bama or uga, but it looks like he very likely could have been fighting a tougher battle than the one he had here. 

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

This is from last year:

Gatewood got the start the next week vs UGA and went 15 of 25 for 91 yards.  The very next week, Wilson was the starter again with Beau Allen as the backup.  Gatewood appeared in only 2 of the remaining 4 games after that, going a combined 0 for 5 passing.

I think you have to do a whole lot of mental gymnastics to come away with the idea that Bo Nix couldn't beat out a converted WR who went 3 of 9 for 35 yards and (-2) yds rushing on five carries vs Missouri.  Terry Wilson wasn't lighting it up and making it difficult for Gatewood to take the spot.  Joey just wasn't good enough.  

It's doubtful he was ever good enough.  Two coaching staffs have now come to this conclusion.  We can leave some sliver of belief out there in the realm of "anything's possible" regarding Gatewood vs Nix, but I think the preponderance of the evidence says that Bo - even with all his issues - was still the superior QB between the two of them.

See below. Or above. Whatever. Do a statistical comparison of Wilson and Nix and see if you still feel that way. I hope that you don't because it wouldn't make sense.

Btw, Beau Allen? He was a nose tackle. Share a link, if you don't mind. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Just don't agree with the "well obviously we now know for a fact" closing argument. 

Question is do I put Gus on the stand as my star witness? Not sure how well his credibility would hold up on cross-examination. 

Would probably have to file a motion in limine to keep defense Exhibit A, Auburn's offense vs. Clemson defense 2016, and any reference to the "Whirlybird" out of evidence. Too prejudicial.

Unfortunately, Exhibit B, Bo Nix vs. Florida 2019, probably comes in. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

We can leave some sliver of belief out there in the realm of "anything's possible" regarding Gatewood vs Nix

Just highlighting this part again, clearly a lot of people very logically and reasonably have more belief than that.

but I think the preponderance of the evidence says that Bo - even with all his issues - was still the superior QB between the two of them.

That's a perfectly valid comment and much more reasonable and palatable than your initial post with which I took issue.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, as for the "converted WR" thing, Terry Wilson maintained a completion percentage for all 3 seasons he was the starter that was meaningfully higher than Bo Nix's in either season he's been the starter at Auburn.

So no, Joey wasn't fighting for the job at bama or uga, but it looks like he very likely could have been fighting a tougher battle than the one he had here. 

Maybe.  But Wilson clearly didn't have a hammer lock on the starting job.  Stoops was very open to someone else taking that job and no one could seem to step up and take it.

As for Wilson vs Nix, they were asked to do very different things, as evidenced by the fact that in his three seasons (one of which was cut short by injury I believe), he threw over 200 fewer passes than Bo.  Wilson was primarily a running QB who was given mostly safer and easier passes to execute.  Bo's TD to INT ratio is also superior and despite throwing 200+ more passes, only had one more INT than Wilson overall (12 vs 13).  I would also argue Wilson had a superior offensive line in front of him and at least in 2019, a better set of RBs to work with.  

There was ample opportunity for a better QB to come in an take that job from him and JG couldn't do it.  There's zero evidence to believe he had earned a shot at the starting role here either.

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

See below. Or above. Whatever. Do a statistical comparison of Wilson and Nix and see if you still feel that way. I hope that you don't because it wouldn't make sense.

Btw, Beau Allen? He was a nose tackle. Share a link, if you don't mind. 

Nope.  He was the backup QB vs Vanderbilt the week after JG started vs UGA:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2020-11-14-kentucky.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/beau-allen-2.html

And he's the backup this year to Levis with Gatewood out of the picture:

https://www.whas11.com/article/sports/will-levis-kentucky-quarterback/417-02b5499d-05ab-447f-b5a6-9c3b073a4c31

• Thanks 1