Gatewood enters transfer portal

Tigermike

20 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-wildcats/news/joey-gatewood-expected-to-transfer-home-to-central-florida/

Joey Gatewood expected to transfer home to Central Florida

After being told he would not be the starter at Kentucky (as was predicted by many of us) he entered the transfer portal and Gus picked him up.

After Gus wouldn't let him on the field ? This is a head scratcher.

So stupid ^ I'm taking side-bets that it aint even true. Joey? He snatched your shirt man. Anyway. If Joey shows up on Gus's bench again it tells me everything I'll ever need to know about him.

1 hour ago, jAUSon said:

So stupid ^ I'm taking side-bets that it aint even true. Joey? He snatched your shirt man. Anyway. If Joey shows up on Gus's bench again it tells me everything I'll ever need to know about him.

He is already on Central Florida’s roster. As Mikey said: I guess former players (and coaches) respect Gus!

Edited by AU-24
  • Like 1

Ya know this move almost makes me believe that Gus was told he had to start Bo. I mean either way a head scratching move for Gatewood here. If he wants to play QB he would have been smart to drop down a division. Good luck to him at UCF

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, fredst said:

This is a riveting thread in the Auburn Football forum that has absolutely nothing to do with Auburn football. WDE!

Sir, this is Wendy's the Rivals Football sub Forum

Edited by W.E.D
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

Ya know this move almost makes me believe that Gus was told he had to start Bo. I mean either way a head scratching move for Gatewood here. If he wants to play QB he would have been smart to drop down a division. Good luck to him at UCF

That's exactly what it is but......

So- currently have followed Gus to UCF:

Big Kat Bryant

Nate Craig-Meyers

Joey Gatewood

Mark Antony-Richards

Marco Domio

Wow. That's a list of misused athletes if I've ever seen one.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

So- currently have followed Gus to UCF:

Big Kat Bryant

Nate Craig-Meyers

Joey Gatewood

Mark Antony-Richards

Marco Domio

Wow. That's a list of misused athletes if I've ever seen one.

Not sure if the guys on defense have ever been said to have been misused. 

The guys on offense, for sure. Whether or not any of it has been accurate will likely never be known. Many will feel that each player's experiences after leaving Auburn are all the evidence needed to say that they just weren't ever meant to have impactful football careers at this level or beyond, but it's equally possible in my mind that not getting sound development and reasonable opportunities to make plays early in their careers sent them on a trajectory from which not many athletes would be able to recover. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Many will feel that each player's experiences after leaving Auburn are all the evidence needed to say that they just weren't ever meant to have impactful football careers at this level or beyond

Put me in this camp.

but also- Gus.

• Like 1

Just now, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Put me in this camp.

but also- Gus.

Probably hard to argue that all 3 of them were good football players that he broke. And muddying the waters is the fact that Gus showed poor judgment in so many other areas of running an offense. Probably led to some faulty assumptions and erroneous if>then statements. I'm implicating myself here as much as anyone.

But I do think that at least one or two of these guys could've flourished under the right circumstances.

Oh well. I wish the players and coach all the best.

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

I can see Gus definitely using JG at UCF for QB. Whether he makes a MW leap is the question .

On the surface Gatewood seems like a great fit for the Malzahn offense. Its the history that these 2 have that makes the decision so odd. And its kind of odd both ways.....he left AU middle of the season after losing the job right? So its not just odd to me that Gatewood would choose Gus but also that Gus would choose Gatewood. 

I guess i'll just add it to the list of things that Gus has done that blows my mind. 🤷‍♂️

Just now, gravejd said:

On the surface Gatewood seems like a great fit for the Malzahn offense. Its the history that these 2 have that makes the decision so odd. And its kind of odd both ways.....he left AU middle of the season after losing the job right? So its not just odd to me that Gatewood would choose Gus but also that Gus would choose Gatewood. 

I guess i'll just add it to the list of things that Gus has done that blows my mind. 🤷‍♂️

If the news out of camp a couple years ago was to be believed, it was a close competition between Joey and Bo. If that's even remotely true, then it would stand to reason that Joey could still be better than any other option that Gus has at UCF. Or that he at least provides quality depth to the QB room.

At this point I'm just really hoping he pulls a Trey Burton down there. But I don't think Gus has those arrows in his quiver.

I'm not sure how much time Gatewood has left, maybe 3 years?

UCF has their QB pretty much locked in for the next 2.  So he's got time to sit and learn.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Joey could still be better than any other option that Gus has at UCF.

They've got a Jr QB that has thrown for 3500 yds each of his Freshman and Soph Seasons.  Gatewood isn't better than Dillon Gabriel, who will be their starting QB this year and next.

63/11 TD to INT ratio

Edited by W.E.D

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

They've got a Jr QB that has thrown for 3500 yds each of his Freshman and Soph Seasons.  Gatewood isn't better than Dillon Gabriel, who will be their starting QB this year and next.

63/11 TD to INT ratio

I'll be shock if Dillon stays for his senior year,,,,unless Gus skrews up something