Gatewood enters transfer portal

Tigermike

Just now, augolf1716 said:

I'll be shock if Dillon stays for his senior year,,,,unless Gus skrews up something

Maybe he doesn't, but he's really small and vs bad competition, outside some decent numbers, he's a 60% passer.  He's got some fringe NFL attributes.

He probably shouldn't stay b/c Gus will make him worse.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Never happen 

Is that kind of like Terry Bowden wasn't told prior to the 1998 season that "Auburn WILL run the football"?

Just now, CleCoTiger said:

Is that kind of like Terry Bowden wasn't told prior to the 1998 season that "Auburn WILL run the football"? Or Tuuberville wasn't asked "What EXACTLY is your plan to compete with Saban at Alabama and how and when can we expect to see you put it into place?" prior to Tuberville quitting after the 2008 season?

41 minutes ago, gravejd said:

On the surface Gatewood seems like a great fit for the Malzahn offense. Its the history that these 2 have that makes the decision so odd. And its kind of odd both ways.....he left AU middle of the season after losing the job right? So its not just odd to me that Gatewood would choose Gus but also that Gus would choose Gatewood. 

I guess i'll just add it to the list of things that Gus has done that blows my mind. 🤷‍♂️

Gus knows how talented JG is, I truly believe that. JG knows this is his last shot so I can see him trying it with a familiar face and I am sure Gus gave him a great explanation and a promise to boot. 

• Like 1

This has to be a bad joke right? Absolutely comical to see everyone all of a sudden defending Gus by saying that this proves the boosters forced him to play Bo. I don't think the boosters were the ones on the sideline at LSU who physically grabbed Joey as he was running onto the field. At best, this is a head scratching move. He's a talented kid who should have got a shot during the Florida and LSU games. Not as good of a quarterback at Kentucky as I thought he'd be, but still talented. Hopefully it works out. Just not sure why he wants to go back to Gus and sit behind Gabriel, who is better than Nix

• Like 1

Didn’t get Gustrated enough the first time.

Poor bastard.

How long before the nightmares and buyers remorse kick in?

On 8/16/2021 at 11:42 PM, TitanTiger said:

Yeah, we can talk all day about Gus's poor QB development, poor QB evals and whether Bo Nix ought to be better than he's been in spite of all the crap with our offense the last two years, but one thing that clearly needs to be buried for good is the idea that Joey Gatewood should have started over Bo.  He couldn't beat out Bo, who clearly has work to do of his own, he couldn't beat out a converted WR last year at UK, and after spring practice and going into fall camp, he's no higher than 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart so he's transferring again.

The issue with Gatewood vs Bo was clearly not favoritism.  Joey is just not an SEC caliber QB, possibly not even FBS caliber and he probably needs to give heavy consideration to moving to another position such as TE.

Lol, lol, lol!

On 8/16/2021 at 11:52 PM, McLoofus said:

Incorrect. You assume that Bo would have started over those other guys, too. That's far from a given. 

That would seem to be the case at this point but, again, Bo hasn't proven to be an SEC caliber QB, either. I mean, technically he is, but only by default. 

So for those that voted him SEC freshman of the year, they didn’t know what they were talking about? After Bo at 18 years old (coached by Gus) beat the Pack 12 champs, Jimbo and Texas A&M, and Nick Saban and Alabama, he wasn’t any good, nor were his coaches? And he shouldn’t have been SEC freshman of the year?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

So- currently have followed Gus to UCF:

Big Kat Bryant

Nate Craig-Meyers

Joey Gatewood

Mark Antony-Richards

Marco Domio

Wow. That's a list of misused athletes if I've ever seen one.

It's been my experience that the players know very well who should be in the game and who should be on the bench. Apparently the above players didn't feel misused. I expect they think the competition won't be as tough at UCF, so they'll see the field more. Had they felt misused they wouldn't be so eager to go play for the same head coach.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 11:58 PM, aubiefifty said:

gus pulled a kid from nowhere and almost won a natty with him. so gus does know a little about qb's.

Actually won a Natty with Cam, who Gene C. didn’t want initially. Almost won a Natty with a Canadian football league DB. (Nick Marshall). Beat Alabama with an NFL sixth or seventh round draft pick, and third string NFL quarterback. (Jared) Beat Alabama with a teenage freshman. No one else in the country can say that. Gus certainly had his shortcomings, loss to Tennessee and certain bowl game losses come to mind. When they say he was just some complete idiot that couldn’t coach, couldn’t recruit, couldn’t develop… that is simply not true! Remembering when he beat number one Georgia and number one Alabama in the same season. So who else in the country has done that? No one! But he can’t develop players? Fairly good record for someone that can’t develop players.

Look at his former players and coaches that are joining him, to include his current defensive coordinator!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It's been my experience that the players know very well who should be in the game and who should be on the bench. Apparently the above players didn't feel misused. I expect they think the competition won't be as tough at UCF, so they'll see the field more. Had they felt misused they wouldn't be so eager to go play for the same head coach.

Extremely, factually accurate! But some on here would rather live in a false sense of reality in their own mind, versus the real world.

Edited by AU-24
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

Actually won a Natty with Cam, who Gene C. didn’t want initially. Almost won a Natty with a Canadian football league DB. (Nick Marshall). Beat Alabama with an NFL sixth or seventh round draft pick, and third string NFL quarterback. (Jared) Beat Alabama with a teenage freshman. No one else in the country can say that. Gus certainly had his shortcomings, loss to Tennessee and certain bowl game losses come to mind. When they say he was just some complete idiot that couldn’t coach, couldn’t recruit, couldn’t develop… that is simply not true! Remembering when he beat number one Georgia and number one Alabama in the same season. So who else in the country has done that? No one! But he can’t develop players? Fairly good record for someone that can’t develop players.

Look at his former players and coaches that are joining him, to include his current defensive coordinator!

exactly what I tell people. Like Nick Marshall was a god send before we came to know of his intangibles. Dude was a genius for that as of 2014, but now he got lucky...alrighty 

Winning 9 games with how bad Bo was is even bigger an accomplishment to me. You can blame most of that on Gus, but the kid didn't look good in 2020 under that Clemson OC and apparently hasn't been consistent even now 

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

Extremely, factually accurate! But some on here would rather live in a false sense of reality in their own mind, versus the real world.

Respectfully, I could argue that you're also living in your own sense of reality by thinking everything was so positive. I'll say this, Gus seems to have the players love. Ultimately, it's about winning football games. While some may seem 2019, Bo's freshman year, as a huge success, I still look at it as what could have been. We had a tremendous defense. Imagine if we had average QB play at Florida and LSU. We make the playoffs. Bo bears no fault in that. I am not trying to be anti-Bo here. As Harsin says, it's never as good or bad as it seems. My argument would be that none of the QB's on the roster were ready that season. That falls on Gus for not realizing that and getting a transfer. The freshman of the year is an easy thing to point to, and props to Bo. However, you cannot seriously believe that we could not have done better as a team or could have not had better QB play at Florida and LSU right?

So he didn’t want to stick it out at AU when he’s not the starter and he pulls the same thing again UK. Why would he possibly go to another school unless he absolutely knows he will start? If he’s dead set on being a QB he might ought to drop down a level and just out talent his competition. I just see why I’d go to my third school and rinse and repeat what I’ve already done. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, au302 said:

Respectfully, I could argue that you're also living in your own sense of reality by thinking everything was so positive. I'll say this, Gus seems to have the players love. Ultimately, it's about winning football games. While some may seem 2019, Bo's freshman year, as a huge success, I still look at it as what could have been. We had a tremendous defense. Imagine if we had average QB play at Florida and LSU. We make the playoffs. Bo bears no fault in that. I am not trying to be anti-Bo here. As Harsin says, it's never as good or bad as it seems. My argument would be that none of the QB's on the roster were ready that season. That falls on Gus for not realizing that and getting a transfer. The freshman of the year is an easy thing to point to, and props to Bo. However, you cannot seriously believe that we could not have done better as a team or could have not had better QB play at Florida and LSU right?

He was SEC freshman of the year. You don’t beat Jimbo, the pack 12 champs, and Nick Saban without a quarterback..

Last year, he probably had one of the worst O-lines in college football. Certainly the worst in the SEC. Yes, that is on Gus!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

exactly what I tell people. Like Nick Marshall was a god send before we came to know of his intangibles. Dude was a genius for that as of 2014, but now he got lucky...alrighty 

Winning 9 games with how bad Bo was is even bigger an accomplishment to me. You can blame most of that on Gus, but the kid didn't look good in 2020 under that Clemson OC and apparently hasn't been consistent even now 

Thanks for your comments. Obviously when a kid is voted SEC freshman of the year, there are those that would disagree with you.

• Dislike 1

7 hours ago, AU-24 said:

He was SEC freshman of the year. You don’t beat Jimbo, the pack 12 champs, and Nick Saban without a quarterback..

Last year, he probably had one of the worst O-lines in college football. Certainly the worst in the SEC. Yes, that is on Gus!

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I personally believe that we could have received better quarterback play over the past two years, whether from Bo or someone else. However, I also know that same thought applies to many other positions, especially the O-line, as well as the coaching. The fact that we are deep into fall camp and he has still not been named starter is telling. While he will be the starter, it leads me to believe the new staff may not be completely sold yet

8 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Thanks for your comments. Obviously when a kid is voted SEC freshman of the year, there are those that would disagree with you.

There are a few Auburn fans and about 3 or 4 people outside out of that minority that would, yeah. And they ceased to exist after 2020 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

He was never given a real chance in games at Auburn. Neither was Malik Willis, and he's killing it right now. He was voted as a top 5 returning QB by a group of 33 ESPN voters. 

This has to be one of the craziest things I have seen in a while… JG leaves Auburn and Gus because Nix was “given” the starting job because Gus was told Nix would start.(political or racist ..both were implied).Gus said he would definitely have packages for JG only to keep him from going on the field when nix was absolutely stinking it up… JG transfers.. gets a chance at Kentucky only to lose the starting job to a transfer from Penn State.. JG transfers again.. back to Gus who screwed him over the first time… you literally can’t make this stuff up.. but never the less I hope JG gets a shot at something .. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 11:31 AM, johnnyAU said:

He was never given a real chance in games at Auburn. Neither was Malik Willis, and he's killing it right now. He was voted as a top 5 returning QB by a group of 33 ESPN voters. 

So he committed to the guy that didn’t give him a chance? Mmkay. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2