Gatewood enters transfer portal

Tigermike

4 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

You honestly think Willis got a fair shot in games while at Auburn? Seriously? 

Willis himself admitted that he didn't do what he needed to do while at AU. That quote was all over this forum. Willis didn't earn playing time at AU. He's doing well now at Liberty, where he says he puts in the necessary effort..

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AuMarine said:

This has to be one of the craziest things I have seen in a while… JG leaves Auburn and Gus because Nix was “given” the starting job because Gus was told Nix would start.(political or racist ..both were implied).Gus said he would definitely have packages for JG only to keep him from going on the field when nix was absolutely stinking it up… JG transfers.. gets a chance at Kentucky only to lose the starting job to a transfer from Penn State.. JG transfers again.. back to Gus who screwed him over the first time… you literally can’t make this stuff up.. but never the less I hope JG gets a shot at something .. 

Players know who should be on the field and who should be on the bench. Nix wasn't given anything, he earned it. Had Joey felt like he was screwed over he wouldn't have gone back to play for Gus.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

You honestly think Willis got a fair shot in games while at Auburn? Seriously? 

Willis himself, said he didn’t deserve it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Players know who should be on the field and who should be on the bench. Nix wasn't given anything, he earned it. Had Joey felt like he was screwed over he wouldn't have gone back to play for Gus.

The point of my post was sarcasm 

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Willis himself admitted that he didn't do what he needed to do while at AU. That quote was all over this forum. Willis didn't earn playing time at AU. He's doing well now at Liberty, where he says he puts in the necessary effort..

Whether he put in the work or not, he still was never given the full offense to work with when he actually got into games.  He knew he was only being used to hand it off or run the read option every single time, like a few other QB's in Malzahn's tenure.  

1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

Whether he put in the work or not, he still was never given the full offense to work with when he actually got into games.  He knew he was only being used to hand it off or run the read option every single time, like a few other QB's in Malzahn's tenure.  

That's why they hold practices. Those who get into games are in there because they did well in practice. Coaches don't just hand the ball off to anybody who wants to play. Playing time is earned, and when the player himself says he didn't earn it, it's pretty hard to blame a coach for not giving him meaningful snaps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AuMarine said:

The point of my post was sarcasm 

Sarcasm doesn't come across very well in the written word. Next time we should both try harder?

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 10:52 PM, AU-24 said:

Actually won a Natty with Cam, who Gene C. didn’t want initially. Almost won a Natty with a Canadian football league DB. (Nick Marshall). Beat Alabama with an NFL sixth or seventh round draft pick, and third string NFL quarterback. (Jared) Beat Alabama with a teenage freshman. No one else in the country can say that. Gus certainly had his shortcomings, loss to Tennessee and certain bowl game losses come to mind. When they say he was just some complete idiot that couldn’t coach, couldn’t recruit, couldn’t develop… that is simply not true! Remembering when he beat number one Georgia and number one Alabama in the same season. So who else in the country has done that? No one! But he can’t develop players? Fairly good record for someone that can’t develop players.

Look at his former players and coaches that are joining him, to include his current defensive coordinator!

IMO Gus’s W-L record proves he’s a solid mediocre coach.  

• Haha 2

Lol. The IB stuff again.

Remember that no other coach has faced nick saban at bama as many times as Gus did. Not Les Miles or Ed Orgeron, not Hugh Freeze or Lane Kiffin, not Kevin Sumlin or Jimbo Fisher... nobody. So be sure to add that asterisk when flashing your LBS.

"Well that just shows how good Gus was to last 8 years." Yeah, tell that to Stevie Leath and his walking papers. 

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

That's why they hold practices. Those who get into games are in there because they did well in practice. Coaches don't just hand the ball off to anybody who wants to play. Playing time is earned, and when the player himself says he didn't earn it, it's pretty hard to blame a coach for not giving him meaningful snaps.

When he finally got into games, he was never allowed to do anything other than hand it off or run it.  Most of this was garbage time. It wouldn't have mattered if he threw a pick. At least he would have gotten real action running the whole offense.  It isn't about earning playing time. It's about what Gus allowed him to do once he got it.

On 8/20/2021 at 10:40 PM, Mikey said:

It's been my experience that the players know very well who should be in the game and who should be on the bench. Apparently the above players didn't feel misused. I expect they think the competition won't be as tough at UCF, so they'll see the field more. Had they felt misused they wouldn't be so eager to go play for the same head coach.

I think it's more about GAtewood, first, wanting to be closer to home since he is down to either only 1 or 2 years left in playing. Second, he is familiar with Gus' offense, and even though he left to try to be a starter somewhere else, he now knows his best bet is to just try again with Gus who is good to his players personally....

19 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I think it's more about GAtewood, first, wanting to be closer to home since he is down to either only 1 or 2 years left in playing. Second, he is familiar with Gus' offense, and even though he left to try to be a starter somewhere else, he now knows his best bet is to just try again with Gus who is good to his players personally....

I think that's right. And given that UCF has a very good entrenched starter returning, I think Gatewood has to have his eyes open. He knows he isn't going to UCF to start as QB this season, barring severe misfortune for players ahead of him.

Sometimes the scenario makes the player. The power 5 game might be too quick for gatewood and Gus now. Maybe going to UCF and re-inventing both of theirselves Will do wonders 

• Like 1

Lol at the trumping of sec freshman of the year stuff. Nobody besides auburn homers think he was the sec freshman of the year.

Also Willis said he could've worked harder which is exactly what he is supposed to say if he wants to have a future in the NFL. He didn't say he didn't deserve it. He was going to a coach that's best friends with his former coach, he'd be an idiot to say anything different. Just like cam said one thing as far as his time in Florida before going to the NFL and said another story after when you don't have to worry about being held back.

But it's the same thing from the same guys.First heads would roll if anybody would have said any of the stuff about Bo they laugh and say about the other QB's. There is literally joy pulling against them, but you can't say Bo needs to get better without it being a big thing

These are the same guys that said Willis needs to be a running back......but they know what they are talking about? Ok 👌🏽

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

Lol at the trumping of sec freshman of the year stuff. Nobody besides auburn homers think he was the sec freshman of the year.

Nobody that can read thinks Bo wasn't SEC Freshman of the year. You are claiming that all the voters were AU homers?

As usual, you're about as far off the truth as you were when you said Gatewood, as a high school soph, was better than any QB on the AU roster. I still remember that knee-slapper. It didn't age well, did it?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Nobody that can read thinks Bo wasn't SEC Freshman of the year. You are claiming that all the voters were AU homers?

As usual, you're about as far off the truth as you were when you said Gatewood, as a high school soph, was better than any QB on the AU roster. I still remember that knee-slapper. It didn't age well, did it?

I thought we don't talk to each other? Remember the big show you tried to pull when I didn't even quote you but just talked on the subject? All of the running and crying you have done and now you want to talk? Gtfoh.

Anybody with a brain knows that corner from LSU was light years better than Bo. 

And who was on our roster if I did say that? Who were the QB's? 

And the way you ran around 4 different threads talking around subjects and lying when people were asking you direct questions about the things you said you want to talk about being wrong and things aging well? As stupid as your takes has been about the o line and about Gus? How Willis wasn't a QB and he couldn't throw the ball so he needed to be moved? 

I'm so down to do it. You show me where I'm so far from the truth so much and I'll point out your dumb takes and let's see who wins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

I hope I don't regret chiming in here but what the heck...

It's without a doubt that Bo Nix was SEC Freshman of the Year. That's the way the vote went, so that's what he was. Now as to why? I don't think the votes were all from AU homers, no. I do think that a couple of things went into it that helped him win, even if his stats weren't FOTY stellar...and they weren't.

First, he's Pat Nix's son. That legacy helps perception.

Second, though he really didn't play well, that first game against Oregon where Malzahn stuck with him -- I said during the game on this forum that Malzahn was helping him to "grow up" by making him play through adversity -- and he was able to pull it out in the end also helped perception. Lose that game rather than make a winning throw in the end and maybe things as far as FOTY are different.

Third was the Iron Bowl. Again, Nix didn't play all that well, but he was the winning QB on the winning team against Bama.

Those three things all helped him with the voters and helped win that FOTY honor.

All that said, Nix hasn't yet become the QB that I believe most of us thought and hoped he would be. At this point I have my doubts he will ever come close to those expectations. In fact, I find myself hoping that if he struggles again, the new staff sits him down and gives Finley or even DD a shot. Now for Nix fans, here's the bright side of what I think...

I wanted Stan White to sit and someone else to play QB before 1993. After 1998 I never wanted to see Ben Leard on the field again. After 2008 I never wanted to see Chris Todd on the field again. So my track record is when I give up on a QB, they come back and show that I have no damn idea what I'm talking about. Given that, Nix will probably come out and rewrite the record books this season with Harsin and Bobo running things.

War Eagle!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

I hope I don't regret chiming in here but what the heck...

It's without a doubt that Bo Nix was SEC Freshman of the Year. That's the way the vote went, so that's what he was. Now as to why? I don't think the votes were all from AU homers, no. I do think that a couple of things went into it that helped him win, even if his stats weren't FOTY stellar...and they weren't.

First, he's Pat Nix's son. That legacy helps perception.

Second, though he really didn't play well, that first game against Oregon where Malzahn stuck with him -- I said during the game on this forum that Malzahn was helping him to "grow up" by making him play through adversity -- and he was able to pull it out in the end also helped perception. Lose that game rather than make a winning throw in the end and maybe things as far as FOTY are different.

Third was the Iron Bowl. Again, Nix didn't play all that well, but he was the winning QB on the winning team against Bama.

Those three things all helped him with the voters and helped win that FOTY honor.

All that said, Nix hasn't yet become the QB that I believe most of us thought and hoped he would be. At this point I have my doubts he will ever come close to those expectations. In fact, I find myself hoping that if he struggles again, the new staff sits him down and gives Finley or even DD a shot. Now for Nix fans, here's the bright side of what I think...

I wanted Stan White to sit and someone else to play QB before 1993. After 1998 I never wanted to see Ben Leard on the field again. After 2008 I never wanted to see Chris Todd on the field again. So my track record is when I give up on a QB, they come back and show that I have no damn idea what I'm talking about. Given that, Nix will probably come out and rewrite the record books this season with Harsin and Bobo running things.

War Eagle!

I didn’t realize we even had any AU homers out there, other than us of course.  All I ever hear from many on here are bias against us, not for us. It can’t be homerism for us when one of our guys win AND homerism against us when one of our guys don’t win something I guess is another way to put it. Anyways, excellent take all around. 

Hilarious. Let's pretend that there wasn't a controversy....we didn't see this other kid be an all American at his position and then....you know what some stuff isn't even worth arguing

He won even though his play wasn't stellar but he earned it....👌🏽

That really has nothing to do with this subject anyway though

• 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Gatewood back to portalling... committed to Louisville as a TE.

has he graduated, or is he using the stetson bennett method?

6 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

has he graduated, or is he using the stetson bennett method?

Not sure.  He's had 5 years to graduate, but I don't see anything that says he did.