Lumpkin on Finebaum

DKW 86

Lumpkin on Finebaum

He talks about Bear using him for breaking "Auburn Cheats" Stories.

Bear would urge the turning in of cheaters on his show. Told viewers to call in with cheating info, he would turn them in.

In 1960, NCAA investigators show up on Bama campus. 9 Players were questioned ABOUT AUBURN. Player asked why they didnt ask about :ua: "We are not investigating Alabama."

Lumpkin said :ua: turned in :au: 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, and again late seventies. Said Bama was doing much more on Don Fuell than Auburn. $3K and Probation for :au: , :ua: got only $2k fine. Talked about Bama coaches getting a truck and hauling Don Fuell's possesions to the SEC Office. :blink:

If the true Bama folks want to discuss the Bear turning in other programs, they better get ready to debate Bill Lumpkin. He probably knew Bryant better than anyone alive. Was covering Bama when Mal Moore was still in high School. :blink:

Fulmer is guilty of doing what Bear and Whitworth did for years.

What goes around comes around...

Lumpkin said that "LY has been associated with Alabama for as long as I can remember." BL has been there since before Bear...

How about "Lets play ball."

Good to have confirmation about that stuff from a bammer.

Shug knew that it was bammer asssistants and 'tha bahr' that set us up on fuell and the twins in the 50s.

Just a tidbit about the difference in 'tha bahr' and Shug: Several University and atheletic dept. administrators wanted to turn bammer in several times, but Shug wouldn't do it.

As I've said before--I think people and schools SHOULD be turned in for cheating. I see nothing at all wrong with reporting cheating. I think we all agree that it's our civil duty as good citizens to report crimes we're aware of. In a simlar sense I believe it's our duty as good "football" citizens to report cheating in sports to the proper sports authorities. So in that respect, I guess I feel like Bear & Fulmer were right to report cheating and Jordan was wrong to ignore it. [Although I'm sure Bear's & Fulmer's motives had little to do with "good citizenship".] If you don't want to be turned in, don't cheat!

However, I also understand that it's the height of hypocrisy to turn someone in for things you're doing yourself and in that regard I have no respect for Bear or Fulmer. So: First clean up your own act, then report all wrongdoers.

I had posted the entire story earlier but here is the pertinant exerpt.

On December 15, 1955, the Birmingham News broke the story that SEC Commissioner Bernie Moore was looking into a report that an Auburn recruiter paid one thousand dollars to Gadsden area running backs Robert and Harry Beaube in an effort to coerce them to accept scholarships from Auburn. The twin brothers had just completed their prep careers at Emma Samsom High School. Harry Beaube had made Class AAA All State. The father of the twins, the Reverend Albert Beaube, said he wished his sons "'would just forget football."

A week later, the SEC fined Auburn two thousand dollars for the incident. Auburn said it would not appeal the fine. Commissioner Moore revealed that Auburn defensive coach Hal Herring gave the twins five hundred dollars each on November 28. Apparently, Herring acted on behalf of an alumnus.

President Draughon commented, "After full inquiry we accept as fact the statement that one of our coaches has made offers in cash in excess of normal grant in aid allowable." The existing grant in aid setup allowed players tuition, books, room and board, plus fifteen dollars per month for laundry.

But Draughon offered some additional information. He said, "Persons acting in the interests of another institution" had led the twins to believe they would be given a furnished apartment. When Herring discovered this, he "unwisely, in the heat of competition, was led to make a cash payment."

Draughon didn't mention any names, but he was referring to the University of Alabama. The twins said Auburn and Alabama had been the only two SEC schools to offer them scholarships. Auburn also believed that Alabama's recruiting coordinator had called the SEC Commissioner and reported Auburn's misdeed.

"We cannot excuse the fact that the excess upon Auburn's part occurred because persons acting in the interests of another institution made the original offer," Draughon said. But he added, "To penalize one institution and not the other can only result in sharpening the rivalry."

Jeff Beard, then the athletic director, said he and Jordan immediately drove to the home of Hueytown High School quarterback Richard Rush, who had just signed with Auburn. They gathered goods which, according to Beard, had been given to the player by Alabama during the recruiting season, and transported the goods to the SEC commissioner's office in Birmingham.

"We told him that if he wanted evidence, there it was," Beard later said.

On December 31, 1955 the Birmingham News reported that the SEC had fined Alabama one thousand dollars because four alumni or supporters of the university gave Hueytown's Rush a television set, clothes, an overcoat and $28.47 in cash.

Rich Donnell, SHUG: The Life and Times of Auburn’s Ralph ‘Shug’ Jordan, Owl Bay Publishers , 1993, PP149-161

ISBB 0-9638568-0-4

My experience has been that if Rich Donnell writes "it", you can take it to the bank.

I read somewhere that the "nail in the coffin" that made old bahr decide the game had passed him by was when he lost Ben Tamburilo to AU and Pat Dye. I wonder if there were any "offers" on the table then? :)

Archived