Official Post Game Thread: Alabama State

bigbird

1 hour ago, Auhud08 said:

Hahaha true he was giving effort- didnt see him lose his man either so he won the battle

Regardless, i think getting worked into the backfield makes Nix nervous. then he gets happy feet. we know how that turns out.

First half was not the same team from the first half of the Akron game: sloppy, unfocused, low level of energy and emotion. But given the ease of last week and I am sure a lot of looking forward to Penn State, it is not terribly unexpected. Nice adjustments at the half by the coaching staff, but the issues from the first half can't happen against a talented or well-coached team. Staff will have to get everyone focused again quickly.

4 hours ago, au302 said:

anything specifically that you noticed that was causing problems today? 

You didn't ask me but I'm gonna answer anyway. It makes me want to vomit when I see an O-lineman 2 or 3 yards downfield not hitting anyone and looking back to the line of scrimmage. He either missed his assignment, or didn't know what it was.

We don't have the meanness needed. I want to see guys getting on a defensive guy and putting his ass on the ground and trying to drive his helmet through the guys chest into the ground. Not sure if that is coachable or is just an innate/genetic gift. 

The O-line is gonna be the key to whether we have a decent season or one for the ages. Hopefully, they continue to gel, stay healthy, and get nastier somehow.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

You didn't ask me but I'm gonna answer anyway. It makes me want to vomit when I see an O-lineman 2 or 3 yards downfield not hitting anyone and looking back to the line of scrimmage. He either missed his assignment, or didn't know what it was.

We don't have the meanness needed. I want to see guys getting on a defensive guy and putting his ass on the ground and trying to drive his helmet through the guys chest into the ground. Not sure if that is coachable or is just an innate/genetic gift. 

The O-line is gonna be the key to whether we have a decent season or one for the ages. Hopefully, they continue to gel, stay healthy, and get nastier somehow.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I think your completely correct about the meanness. Guys like Dismukes, Austin Golson, and Braden Smith were not only talented... but they were mean as hell. Complete junkyard dog bullies that wanted to destroy you.

Not sure anyone we have on that unit right now outside of Jones and maybe Bro Hamm have that in them. It starts with the center. I know Brahms gets a lot of love, but the center is the leader of the o-line, and we need another junkyard dog to emerge there. I'm hopeful Drew Bobo can be that in a few years, but we need it right now

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

IMO, it's mostly mental lapses for our OL. It's almost like they panick when the DL starts a twist or stunt or whatever that they didn't anticipate pre-snap. Just like Brahms panicking and holding early in the game just bc his guard left him alone.

His guard did not leave him alone, it was the guard's assignment.  You give a guy an assignment, turn your head to seal off the left side, you glance back and Jones is ambling away from the DT, you instinctively reach out and hook him to keep the play from blowing up.  

However, on that breakaway run by Hunter, Jones absolutely buried his opponent redeeming himself quite nicely.  

Hamm needs to learn to seal off, a couple of times the LB ran right by him, on one of them I dont think he was even looking outside.  Granted the play was away from him, but not sealing off against better teams will be crucial, Im certain he will get his own private showing of film today.  Not his fault, Hamm is a great guard trying to play tackle because we have no one better.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Auhud08 said:

535 mark is what i was talking about. Just gets pushed straight back

Seemed to hold his block pretty well to me.  It is pass blocking, he is supposed to back up.  

Now go further in the highlight and watch the Jaquez Hunter run, the friggin line blows the entire DL off the ball by about five yards.

Im not feeling all the angst against our offensive line, we had 2 running backs over 100 yards and not one sack nor hurry by Nix.  Could they improve sure, but the glass is certainly half full not bone dry empty.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, AUx said:

a-RO-ma-SHOW-doo

Thanks...

And I've been pronouncing it

o-ba-mah-new

• Like 1

I’ve been pronouncing it 

Ig-ma-nom-a-knee.  I think 🤔 Well now I’m not sure. Aw never mind. Iggy!!

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2

O-line play is gonna dictate this entire season.   The challenges they face are increasing exponentially starting this week forward.  They need to get their collective s*** together.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, trinidad tiger said:

Seemed to hold his block pretty well to me.  It is pass blocking, he is supposed to back up.  

Now go further in the highlight and watch the Jaquez Hunter run, the friggin line blows the entire DL off the ball by about five yards.

Im not feeling all the angst against our offensive line, we had 2 running backs over 100 yards and not one sack nor hurry by Nix.  Could they improve sure, but the glass is certainly half full not bone dry empty.  

Im not overly one way or the other. He didnt move his feet though he just stiff-legged and hopped back. Yes pass block allows you to move backwards but a good pass block is controlled and the OL shift the rush outside as a tackle. Either way- room for improvement, excited ab the game 

11 hours ago, cole256 said:

One match we didn't win was the bands. Good Lord Alabama st's band is amazing

Eh.  From a musician’s standpoint we were better.  They were fun to watch but if they ever competed against us they would lose every time.  They were very “dirty,” which means they weren’t playing in sync and hitting the drum/note all at the exact same time.

And yes I know I just nerded out on you.  😂

I just re-read the game thread . Yikes

Disclaimer : I had 5 spotted cows before 11 AM LOL I apologize everyone

any way how about that penn state game ?  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

I just re-read the game thread . Yikes

Disclaimer : I had 5 spotted cows before 11 AM LOL I apologize everyone

any way how about that penn state game ?  

You were heated

4 hours ago, trinidad tiger said:

His guard did not leave him alone, it was the guard's assignment.  You give a guy an assignment, turn your head to seal off the left side, you glance back and Jones is ambling away from the DT, you instinctively reach out and hook him to keep the play from blowing up.  

Yep, you're right. I meant to say Brahms felt left alone causing him to reach and hold. 

Good stuff about Hamm not sealing off. You don't want that backside pursuit spoiling a potential wow cut back lane.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Yes, I get that.

My question is would our starting WR be running that route vs a back up. So. In the future maybe we gave a better chance of it being caught. 

We had a back up playing today vs the starter. JJ/Dawson were 1/2 on the week 1 depth chart. Them being our, was it Newton playing their position...so we had a 3rd team guy dropping passes. Right?

No, I'm not sure you do get that. It's not like that was the only dropped pass that an Auburn receiver had yesterday, it was just the most glaring. The point I was making was that the entire receiver corps needs to get better at looking the ball in and securing the catch, and you got hung up on the fact that one of the half dozen or so of the drops was actually a third string receiver. So what? What about all the other drops?

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Eh.  From a musician’s standpoint we were better.  They were fun to watch but if they ever competed against us they would lose every time.  They were very “dirty,” which means they weren’t playing in sync and hitting the drum/note all at the exact same time.

Them Stingettes tho!

hubba-hubba-heart.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

You are entitled to your opinion but I find that laughable as I'm a musician myself, they weren't perfect but they weren't very off rhythmically at all. If there was a problem it's their flag line and Beyonce's song

But I don't want to argue about it.  As far as an overall performance it wasn't close and if we halfway attempted the performance part they did...actually I doubt we could attempt it but as far as hbcu's bands goes their junior varsity would kill most D1 bands. Auburn is going to play something safe and not challenging as far as rhythm playing AND performing, two completely different styles.

I played and my wife was flag in high school and college and captain of it in both. 

And I'm literally a nuclear scientist.....it will take a lot more than dirty to go nerd out on me. There have only been two people that I'd consider that are too much and one of those guys is a PhD biology dude that loves to talk quantum physics. Now those are convos that just make your head hurt from talking 😂 💆

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You are entitled to your opinion but I find that laughable as I'm a musician myself, they weren't perfect but they weren't very off rhythmically at all. If there was a problem it's their flag line and Beyonce's song

But I don't want to argue about it.  As far as an overall performance it wasn't close and if we halfway attempted the performance part they did...actually I doubt we could attempt it but as far as hbcu's bands goes their junior varsity would kill most D1 bands. Auburn is going to play something safe and not challenging as far as rhythm playing AND performing, two completely different styles.

I played and my wife was flag in high school and college and captain of it in both. 

And I'm literally a nuclear scientist.....it will take a lot more than dirty to go nerd out on me. There have only been two people that I'd consider that are too much and one of those guys is a PhD biology dude that loves to talk quantum physics. Now those are convos that just make your head hurt from talking 😂 💆

I always get a kick out of amateur musicians going on about marching bands.  Neither are the New York Philharmonic, or Boston Pops, and the performance is not meant to be the same.

It's a halftime at a football game. Nobody really cares.