Official Post Game Thread: Alabama State

bigbird

9 hours ago, DAG said:

I just re-read the game thread . Yikes

Disclaimer : I had 5 spotted cows before 11 AM LOL I apologize everyone

any way how about that penn state game ?  

Haha, I started to argue with you about the first half timeouts, but thought "nah, I like DAG too much and he's running hot." 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I know man, I'm not even arguing with you. Just talking about that play and we might be better when we get our starters back next week

Has there been any information on “Worm” and his medical reason for not being available yesterday. It may have already been discussed and I apologize if I missed it. What is his status this week for PSU? Thanks

9 minutes ago, au701948 said:

Has there been any information on “Worm” and his medical reason for not being available yesterday. It may have already been discussed and I apologize if I missed it. What is his status this week for PSU? Thanks

Up in the air right now 

7 hours ago, au701948 said:

Some claim he is out, some claim he might be able to test negative twice after 6-7 days and be cleared...but do the coaches want him to practice first?

I don't think anyone knows if he got covid or was just exposed. If it's the former, even with the vaccine and a light case, it's probably doubtful his body will be ready. If it's thr later I don't see why a Sr couldn't at least dress and be a 3rd option...at a minimum 

On 9/11/2021 at 6:45 PM, Sizzle said:

We have burner receivers, they’re just not the WR’s running the long routes. Malcolm Johnson is a burner, so is JJ, and Robertson

I bet the reason you have not seen them running the deep routes is so that Penn State is practicing to stop Shed on the deep routes and realize he is a quality receiver but not a burner. That might catch them off guard.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, au701948 said:

Covid protocol, status for this week uncertain. 

Just now, cole256 said:

The deep ball might simply not be a strength of Bo nix and we avoid it. 

He's Jake Plummer.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The deep ball might simply not be a strength of Bo nix and we avoid it. 

Bo has not shown me he can hit the deep ones. He was over throwing them his first 2 seasons and now he is under throwing them. Our receivers also did not do a lot to go fight for the ball in the Al St game. But either way the deep ball is not our strong suit. But we gotta keep throwing them out there cause we are not strong enough up front to run against a stacked box

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He's Jake Plummer.

Ha, that's a pretty damn good comparison for his 1st two years.  Hopefully he gets better than The Snake

21 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Bo has not shown me he can hit the deep ones. He was over throwing them his first 2 seasons and now he is under throwing them. Our receivers also did not do a lot to go fight for the ball in the Al St game. But either way the deep ball is not our strong suit. But we gotta keep throwing them out there cause we are not strong enough up front to run against a stacked box

It's really weird.  It's not like he's throwing to faster WRs vs Schwartz.  He's clearly got the arm strength to get it out there...idk if it is mechanics changes and he's just not comfortable enough yet or trying to make the ball actually catchable vs 10yds over thrown.

There have been a good amount of games in years past that were close and we missed an easy 6 b/c it was way over thrown and it could have really change the game.  

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

It's really weird.  It's not like he's throwing to faster WRs vs Schwartz.  He's clearly got the arm strength to get it out there...idk if it is mechanics changes and he's just not comfortable enough yet or trying to make the ball actually catchable vs 10yds over thrown.

There have been a good amount of games in years past that were close and we missed an easy 6 b/c it was way over thrown and it could have really change the game.  

Its definitely not an arm strength problem. I think its just an accuracy issue. And maybe the coaches are telling him to under throw vs over throw cause it at least give the WR a chance to compete for the ball. 

7 hours ago, gravejd said:

Its definitely not an arm strength problem. I think its just an accuracy issue. And maybe the coaches are telling him to under throw vs over throw cause it at least give the WR a chance to compete for the ball. 

Probably. Also gives you a better chance of getting a PI call when the ball is underthrown. His TD pass to DRob was beautiful though even though it was only 28 yards. 

On 9/11/2021 at 8:45 PM, JTFazz said:

First half was not the same team from the first half of the Akron game: sloppy, unfocused, low level of energy and emotion. But given the ease of last week and I am sure a lot of looking forward to Penn State, it is not terribly unexpected. Nice adjustments at the half by the coaching staff, but the issues from the first half can't happen against a talented or well-coached team. Staff will have to get everyone focused again quickly.

One thing that first half proved was beating those bad teams by 50 isn’t as easy as it looks. It could’ve been 13-0 at halftime without that blocked field goal. We’re gonna have to be focused all 4 four quarters to win Saturday but credit to the staff and players for turning it around in a big way in the second half. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cbo said:

Haha, I started to argue with you about the first half timeouts, but thought "nah, I like DAG too much and he's running hot." 

I have to figure out what he does then so I can copy! I can't say I like candy without somebody jumping in and saying no you don't!

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I have to figure out what he does then so I can copy! I can't say I like candy without somebody jumping in and saying no you don't!

That is true. Although you know I don't do that to you. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gravejd said:

Against a stacked box the quick hit passes work as well or better than the deep passes . WR receiver about 15-20 yard slant to pull safety and CB and TE to the area behind the LB that the WR just cleared. The deep routes don't force the LB's to do anything so don't really help with the stacked box. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Some of it can be a timing issue on these 7 step play action drops and the depth of the WR at full game speed causing the under throws or Bo is slow in his drop and needs to speed it up a beat. Like he's throwing in the bucket, but now the bucket has been completely moved for one reason or another.

Don't have time this week to look back at his deep ball mechanics (thanks Hurricane Nicholas 😒) but I do know that I've seen Harsin use the L-cross bar drill to force QBs to get correct ball flight trajectory on deep balls. 

On 9/12/2021 at 11:45 AM, cole256 said:

And I'm literally a nuclear scientist

So I've seen you mention your career over the years. 1st off congrats. Secondly, what degree path did you use? 

Edited by ValleyTiger

11 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Against a stacked box the quick hit passes work as well or better than the deep passes . WR receiver about 15-20 yard slant to pull safety and CB and TE to the area behind the LB that the WR just cleared. The deep routes don't force the LB's to do anything so don't really help with the stacked box. 

The deep passes force the safeties to stay back. The LBs are always in the box and near the line of scrimmage. Its when the safeties are allowed to creep up that the defense starts to get the number advantages and that makes it extremely hard to run the football. The threat of the deep ball keeps that from happening because the safeties #1 job is to not get beat deep. Its extremely difficult to have an effective offense when you can't attack all areas of the defense.