Official Post Game Thread: Alabama State

bigbird

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

No, I'm not sure you do get that. It's not like that was the only dropped pass that an Auburn receiver had yesterday, it was just the most glaring. The point I was making was that the entire receiver corps needs to get better at looking the ball in and securing the catch, and you got hung up on the fact that one of the half dozen or so of the drops was actually a third string receiver. So what? What about all the other drops?

They r a big concern.  Stan was bragging on their potential but they could not get separation especially deep.   Bo under threw 1 but the others were tight coverage

39 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You are entitled to your opinion but I find that laughable as I'm a musician myself, they weren't perfect but they weren't very off rhythmically at all. If there was a problem it's their flag line and Beyonce's song

But I don't want to argue about it.  As far as an overall performance it wasn't close and if we halfway attempted the performance part they did...actually I doubt we could attempt it but as far as hbcu's bands goes their junior varsity would kill most D1 bands. Auburn is going to play something safe and not challenging as far as rhythm playing AND performing, two completely different styles.

Were you ever in marching band though?  I’m saying as someone who was on drum line and competed internationally.  I also did indoor drumline.   That’s what I did.

A lot of Auburn’s marching band are DCI players that play for the Cadets and Blue Devils.  Dr. Doug Rosner is one of the best percussion instructors in the country and ran Odyssey drumline.  Alabama State’s drum line was not good at all.  I watched them as they passed by me going to the busses too.  They had trouble staying together.  It’s not really an opinion.  They just were not good at playing together.  And they knew it because their drum tech detuned their drums to hide the imperfections.  Their marching sets were very simple too.

You can like Alabama State’s band better because of the style they play with but Auburn’s band is better from an execution and complexity standpoint.  The score just would not be close.

Below is a link to the top 10 college marching bands for 2020-2021.  None of those use “show style.”  Below that is the final score for DCI finals in Indianapolis.  None of those use show style either.

https://www.collegeraptor.com/find-colleges/articles/student-life/10-best-college-marching-bands/

https://www.dci.org/scores/final-scores/2019-dci-world-championship-finals

Finally my marching band knowledge is being put to good use.  I thought the day would never come.  😅

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

You can like Alabama State’s band better because of the style they play with but Auburn’s band is better from an execution and complexity standpoint

This is a complete subjective view btw.

• Like 1

Just now, DAG said:

This is a complete subjective view btw.

It’s not though.  I just edited my post to provide links to the top college marching bands and the top DCI bands.  None of them use “show style.” I can hear their line not playing together.  I’m not saying Alabama State is better or worse because I like on style of play better, I am judging it off of execution and how well they played together.  The scores would be different. 

• Like 1

Both bands bring something different to the table and you should be able to appreciate both. You honestly cannot quality judgement based on either, because Bama State is not a "traditional band." Nor is Auburn anything like Bama state. There is no way you can judge either on a criteria unless it's geared toward what they are trying to do. I guarantee you both bands have an appreciation of each other.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

It’s not though.  I just edited my post to provide links to the top college marching bands and the top DCI bands.  None of them use “show style.” I can hear their line not playing together.  I’m not saying Alabama State is better or worse because I like on style of play better, I am judging it off of execution and how well they played together.  The scores would be different. 

It is though. You are judging Bama state from a clear lens of what you think a "traditional band" should synchronize like where Alabama state is anything but traditional. You have no idea what they were going for. To act so presumptuous as you do is a tad bit ridiculous. It is like trying to compare P. Diddy remnant of the Police " every breath you take." Of course it isn't going to have the same harmony as the original. It Is not going for that. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

It is though. You are judging Bama state from a clear lens of what you think a "traditional band" should synchronize like where Alabama state is anything but traditional. You have no idea what they were going for. To act so presumptuous as you do is a tad bit ridiculous. It is like trying to compare P. Diddy remnant of the Police " every breath you take." Of course it isn't going to have the same harmony as the original. It Is not going for that. 

I’m not doing that either.  I understand both styles of play and how they should sound.  For someone to say they are better than Auburn’s band when they clearly aren’t is presumptuous.  It has nothing to do with the style.  Their band was not playing together.  It’s that simple.  Playing together should mean it sounds like only one drum out there, or one horn.  This is what I am referring to below.  The first video is what someone playing “dirty” and not playing together sounds like.  The second is what is should sound like.  I am purely referring to the technical aspect of it, not the showmanship which is subjective.  

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 1

Just now, abw0004 said:

I’m not doing that either.  I understand both styles of play and how they should sound.  For someone to say they are better than Auburn’s band when they clearly aren’t is presumptuous.  It has nothing to do with the style.  Their band was not playing together.  It’s that simple.  This is what I am referring to below.  The first video is what someone playing “dirty” and not playing together sounds like.  The second is what is should sound like.  I am purely referring to the technical aspect of it, not the showmanship which is subjective.  

My point is you both are coming from strictly , subjective views. You can have your opinion and the other can have theirs. It truly all opinion based. I am not going to sit here and say one band or the other is "just not good." You can have a million links. And quite frankly, I don't have to take what you say as more than opinion because if you had it like that, I think you would have the credentials to show for it. Who did you play for? That can sway my thoughts.

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

My point is you both are coming from strictly , subjective views. You can have your opinion and the other can have theirs. It truly all opinion based. I am not going to sit here and say one band or the other is "just not good." You can have a million links. And quite frankly, I don't have to take what you say as more than opinion because if you had it like that, I think you would have the credentials to show for it. Who did you play for? That can sway my thoughts.

In high school (Chattahoochee High School) we ran the USSBA circuit and placed second in 2009 in the in the country for our drumline up in Maryland.  The entire band placed fifth.  (USBands was formed in the Fall of 1988 to provide high school band programs with a competitive circuit featuring top judges from across the continent and a venue for the US Scholastic Band Championship.)

Indoor drumline we placed 39th in the world at Dayton, OH for the world championships in 2009.  I also helped start up Atlanta Quest which runs against Oddessey in the Independent World division.

I was on snare drum if that matters.  Can even PM you pictures to prove I was there if you would like.

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 2

Just now, abw0004 said:

In high school (Chattahoochee High School) we ran the USSBA circuit and placed second in 2009 in the in the country for our drumline up in Maryland.  The entire band placed fifth.  (USBands was formed in the Fall of 1988 to provide high school band programs with a competitive circuit featuring top judges from across the continent and a venue for the US Scholastic Band Championship.)

Indoor drumline we placed 39th in the world at Dayton, OH for the world championships in 2009.  I also helped start up Atlanta Quest which runs against Oddessey in the Independent World division.

So you played in high school ? But you are talking like you are an expert...I am not trying to diss you. I am just saying these are collegiate guys with a lot of talent, performing in front of crowds. I just think it is odd to come in here and pretty much say a drumline is not good and it is not my opinion it is facts, especially with something like music. You possibly could be right. I enjoyed both bands and I know my dad, a Tuskegee Alumni, was raving about both bands and how fun it was. Don't know why either side has to be poo-poo'd on, tbh.

Just now, DAG said:

So you played in high school ? But you are talking like you are an expert...I am not trying to diss you. I am just saying these are collegiate guys with a lot of talent, performing in front of crowds. I just think it is odd to come in here and pretty much say a drumline is not good and it is not my opinion it is facts, especially with something like music. You possibly could be right. I enjoyed both bands and I know my dad, a Tuskegee Alumni, was raving about both bands and how fun it was. Don't know why either side has to be poo-poo'd on, tbh.

Quest wasn’t high school for what it matters.  Once I went to Auburn I was burned out.  Since we traveled internationally we practiced every holiday and I wanted the college experience at Auburn and wanted to be a part of a fraternity.  In the summer I was asked to go back and help teach.

I never said Alabama State was garbage for the record.  I only defended Auburn’s band by stating the reasons they were better.  I enjoyed their band and that style.  Heck, the movie Drumline is what got me into drumline.  That is all show style music.  I just did not appreciate Cole saying my stance was laughable when he was never in marching band.  

• Like 2

Just now, abw0004 said:

I just did not appreciate Cole saying my stance was laughable when he was never in marching band.  

And that's fine. I don't know if Cole was in a marching band or not. He could've easily been in a band at a HBCU. My point is , it seems like a preference thing and we should just appreciate both. Otherwise, Sorry for hijacking the thread. I will stop. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

And that's fine. I don't know if Cole was in a marching band or not. He could've easily been in a band at a HBCU. My point is , it seems like a preference thing and we should just appreciate both. Otherwise, Sorry for hijacking the thread. I will stop. 

I hijacked it too so I am at fault as well.  @cole256, my apologies if you think I think Alabama State is a bad band.  They aren’t.  Please don’t think otherwise.

Heck, next time either of you are in town for a game, let me know and we can meet at my tailgate.  It would be nice to introduce ourselves and our families.  

Edited by abw0004

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

No, I'm not sure you do get that. It's not like that was the only dropped pass that an Auburn receiver had yesterday, it was just the most glaring. The point I was making was that the entire receiver corps needs to get better at looking the ball in and securing the catch, and you got hung up on the fact that one of the half dozen or so of the drops was actually a third string receiver. So what? What about all the other drops?

I know man, I'm not even arguing with you. Just talking about that play and we might be better when we get our starters back next week

• Facepalm 1

So this is the marching band thread?

All of you are circling around the ONE MOST IMPORTANT issue. (BTW - My first professional career was in music. Not brass or percussion, so never marching band.)

The entire purpose of music performance is to entertain an audience. If the audience is bored, it doesn't matter how technically proficient the individuals or ensemble are.

If the audience enjoys the performance, perfection is pretty much irrelevant to audience members.

Edited by AURex
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Quest wasn’t high school for what it matters.  Once I went to Auburn I was burned out.  Since we traveled internationally we practiced every holiday and I wanted the college experience at Auburn and wanted to be a part of a fraternity.  In the summer I was asked to go back and help teach.

I never said Alabama State was garbage for the record.  I only defended Auburn’s band by stating the reasons they were better.  I enjoyed their band and that style.  Heck, the movie Drumline is what got me into drumline.  That is all show style music.  I just did not appreciate Cole saying my stance was laughable when he was never in marching band.  

Like I said I don't want to argue and dag posted a bunch of my feelings. Please don't make me be the bad guy, when I said I find it laughable was your absolutes I'm wrong but your opinions are certain rights.

Just seems like you tend to go out of your way to make me be wrong and things I say to be disputed whereas your claims aren't questionable and if I was to disagree I'm evil and in the end you were just trying to bring people together, or you were being so positive and I'm being negative and blah blah blah. 

I don't believe either band was perfect, and I certainly don't believe any band showed that they would be better than the other any time they played. My opinion was Alabama st put on a better overall performance and with the distance in budget that's quite something. That's all.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2021 at 5:00 PM, Zeek said:

We don't have that burner WR for deep balls.

I think this is premature. I believe we have a couple of guys capable of being that burner. Jet Johnson has amazing speed. Javy Johnson has really good in game speed, and T Dawson is supposed to have elite speed as well.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I think this is premature. I believe we have a couple of guys capable of being that burner. Jet Johnson has amazing speed. Javy Johnson has really good in game speed, and T Dawson is supposed to have elite speed as well.

Demetrius Robertson has speed

Test time: 4.35 40-yard dash, 10.77 in the 100 meters, per NFL.com's Chase Goodbread

Georgia wide receiver Demetris Robertson was quite the headlining transfer acquisition by Kirby Smart, even if his first-year was mostly spent on special teams. The 6'0", 190-pounder is optimistic that 2019 will bring more opportunities for him to show off his speed as a playmaker since last year was a transitional period. Robertson is a dangerous threat to create a big play when given the chance.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I'm really hoping we get Jet more deep ball targets. T. Dawson as well. I would argue those two, Kobe, and at least one of Canion/Capers need to be more involved, but I guess Newton and Shed are more consistent in practice or something, despite both of their miscues yesterday 

5 minutes ago, au302 said:

I'm really hoping we get Jet more deep ball targets. T. Dawson as well. I would argue those two, Kobe, and at least one of Canion/Capers need to be more involved, but I guess Newton and Shed are more consistent in practice or something, despite both of their miscues yesterday 

Not sure if they were trying to do different things and test combinations out, but it was definitely weird to see Kobe have such a good game 1 then seemingly disappear. 

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I hijacked it too so I am at fault as well.  @cole256, my apologies if you think I think Alabama State is a bad band.  They aren’t.  Please don’t think otherwise.

Heck, next time either of you are in town for a game, let me know and we can meet at my tailgate.  It would be nice to introduce ourselves and our families.  

It's true that AU would win at a DCI competition, where it is all about precision. It's also true that many (like me) find Alabama State more entertaining and enjoyable. 

The latter part is subjective but has more merit to me. 

• Like 1