Penn State Post Game Thread

AuburnNTexas

3 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Bo’s arm strength is suspect. Am I alone in that assessment?

OLine not too shabby. 

D secondary not good. 

sticking to my preseason assessment of this team…hard-nosed and physical, will keep us in every game, lots of “moral victory” games, but not enough high end talent and/or at crucial positions (WR) to get the Ws. 

playcalling was bad at times, but I have faith that we are moving in the right direction. 

give penn state and that environment some credit. 

What was your record prediction again? And roughly how long do you think it takes for us to actually the Ws (besides 60 minutes)?

Edited by AUwent

2 hours ago, RunInRed said:

I’ll eat crow - I said back in the summer this game would be ugly.  It wasn’t.  We just don’t have the horses yet - particularly in the trenches.  But our time is coming.  Keep the faith, brothers.

WDE

Amen! Our players and coaches were not overwhelmed by the atmosphere and fought, clawed, scratched, and scraped until the final play. Missing from this game compared to years past was confusion on the sidelines and players not knowing the plan. We need a legit edge rush and receivers better able to create separation. Much better days ahead for Harsin and AU!

14 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Mediocrity? What an assanine and idiotic comment. Bo did what we needed to win. Can't make receivers catch passes or his defense force a single incomplete pass.

Didn't play perfect by any means but this is just a dickhead comment with no basis. 26 yards from beating a top 10 team on the road after the staff blew timeouts on a defensive play where they were about to get a delay of game. 

Some fans just won't let go on trying to crap on Bo. Hell it's every quarterback we have.

Heard the same about Sean White, Jarrett Stidham, Nick Marshall, and I even recall bitching about Cam.

What are you on about? Calling someone’s comment idiotic and “dickhead.” Bo wasn’t very good. Mediocre is exactly right.  Just accept it.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Mediocrity is like Vandy bad. If you think he or Auburn are anywhere near that you need help.

Do you even know what mediocre means? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Nah not near Vandy. Closer to Kansas. 

I'm a resident negabarner, but we are NOT Kansas. Akron and ASU would've taken KU to the edge.

Edited by AUwent

The post-game melt/back-and-forth is always entertaining. It’s the one constant we have no matter who the coach might be. The internet only makes it more entertaining since everyone is sure of their own expertise. All it takes is a loss….

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, cbo said:

What are you on about? Calling someone’s comment idiotic and “dickhead.” Bo wasn’t very good. Mediocre is exactly right.  Just accept it.

My thinking exactly but I’ll let him be. I wasn’t calling for Bo’s head or for him to be benched. Nor did I say another option was better. I actually think Bo is the best QB we have. I was just making an assessment based on my own opinion. Bo’s completion percentage for his career is in the 50-60 range. That’s literally mediocre QB play. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Nah not near Vandy. Closer to Kansas. 

You're right. Kansas definitely plays a top 10 team within one possession on the road.

1 minute ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

My thinking exactly but I’ll let him be. I wasn’t calling for Bo’s head or for him to be benched. Nor did I say another option was better. I actually think Bo is the best QB we have. I was just making an assessment based on my own opinion. Bo’s completion percentage for his career is in the 50-60 range. That’s literally mediocre QB play. 

My biggest pet peeve on here is when someone makes a reasonable comment and they are met with insults. Talked to like a dummy. You handled it very well, but it bothers me. 

Bo is the best QB we have. And he continues to be mediocre. It’s ok to say that. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cbo said:

Do you even know what mediocre means? 

Means not very good. Which again is inaccurate. 

18 minutes ago, cbo said:

He's being disingenuous and painting a player who busts his ass for Auburn and just had a solid road performance as something he's not.

I don't get Auburn "fans" who hate our own players this much.

18 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Bo’s arm strength is suspect. Am I alone in that assessment?

OLine not too shabby. 

D secondary not good. 

sticking to my preseason assessment of this team…hard-nosed and physical, will keep us in every game, lots of “moral victory” games, but not enough high end talent and/or at crucial positions (WR) to get the Ws. 

playcalling was bad at times, but I have faith that we are moving in the right direction. 

give penn state and that environment some credit. 

Few coaches are winning these sorts of games in year one. Even Kirby and Saban were woeful in year one. It will probably be 2023 before we know if this staff can get us in championship contention. 

Bo does need more zip on these intermediate throws. It reminds me of a golfer who struggles with six foot putts because they're afraid to strike the ball with conviction. 

Gus gets blown out of this game and his offense would have flatlined after the turnover. We recruit a few decent tackles, receivers, and a pass rusher into this culture and we'll be pretty good. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cbo said:

My biggest pet peeve on here is when someone makes a reasonable comment and they are met with insults. Talked to like a dummy. You handled it very well, but it bothers me. 

Bo is the best QB we have. And he continues to be mediocre. It’s ok to say that. 

If you walk away from this game thinking Bo is the problem you're either on a weird mission to slander him or you're just foolish.

He's at 66% this season with zero turnovers through three games and just played a top 10 team down to the wire. I'm just tired of Auburn fans doing this routine no matter who is quarterback.

A "not very good" quarterback loses this game by 20+.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cbo said:

I still think DD is the best QB on our roster.  He's by far the most talented.

• Like 3

Just now, Zeek said:

He's being disingenuous and painting a player who busts his ass for Auburn and just had a solid road performance as something he's not.

Mediocre means not special, adequate, not bad or great, etc. Nothing close to Vanderbilt, the perennial worst team in the conference. 

He's expressing his opinion on the game. A very reasonable opinion. You called him a bunch of names. I don't get Auburn fans who would do that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Zeek said:

If you walk away from this game thinking Bo is the problem you're either on a weird mission to slander him or you're just foolish.

He's at 66% this season with zero turnovers through three games and just played a top 10 team down to the wire. I'm just tired of Auburn fans doing this routine no matter who is quarterback.

A "not very good" quarterback loses this game by 20+.

You do know it's a team game, right? And that the hb's on this team are world class? That has a lot to do with this being a close game. And I'm proud of the team.

I am not foolish nor am I on a weird mission. Bo missed a lot of passes in this game. He threw a terrible pick 6 that happened to be dropped.

Bo's completion percentage on the season is obviously helped by the first two games against nothing opponents. His stat line this game was mediocre. That's all. 

• Like 1

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

I still think DD is the best QB on our roster.  He's by far the most talented.

He definitely has a better arm. I don't know about the rest, yet. 

2 minutes ago, cbo said:

Mediocre means not special, adequate, not bad or great, etc. Nothing close to Vanderbilt, the perennial worst team in the conference. 

He's expressing his opinion on the game. A very reasonable opinion. You called him a bunch of names. I don't get Auburn fans who would do that. 

I'm aware of what the word means but I appreciate the condescending explanation. I didn't call him a name I said implying he is mediocre is idiotic which it is.

1 minute ago, cbo said:

You do know it's a team game, right? And that the hb's on this team are world class? That has a lot to do with this being a close game. And I'm proud of the team.

I am not foolish nor am I on a weird mission. Bo missed a lot of passes in this game. He threw a terrible pick 6 that happened to be dropped.

Bo's completion percentage on the season is obviously helped by the first two games against nothing opponents. His stat line this game was mediocre. That's all. 

Again you're wildly condescending. No crap it's a team game. That applies to your comment too. His stat line isn't helped when there's bad drops and throw aways due to a completely untouched blitz. DRob spots the ball and he walks in for a TD.

Bo is not in my top 10 list of issues in this game. 

16 minutes ago, Zeek said:

You're right. Kansas definitely plays a top 10 team within one possession on the road.

Lol, you know this was sarcasm. 

14 minutes ago, Zeek said:

You seem content on painting your own narrative out of my words so imma let you have this my dude. Until next time. 🤝

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

No way around it. The WR group needs to grow up, and grow up fast. Playmakers are badly needed.

Thats the problem. Instead of letting our young receivers with potential get in, we are rolling out the veterans in D-rob and Shed as our top two options. Not good. Time to bring on the young guys imo

• Love 1

Penn state was the better team tonight. We played well enough at times to win, our running game was humming. Bo looked like he was out there playing hurt on some of his throws. The targeting rule is a farce.  How is zacoby or any other defender supposed to react as a defender in that situation?

6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I'm aware of what the word means but I appreciate the condescending explanation. I didn't call him a name I said implying he is mediocre is idiotic which it is.

Again you're wildly condescending. No crap it's a team game. That applies to your comment too. His stat line isn't helped when there's bad drops and throw aways due to a completely untouched blitz. DRob spots the ball and he walks in for a TD.

Bo is not in my top 10 list of issues in this game. 

Sorry if you felt I was condescending. Seriously. But I imagine the other guy felt the same when you called his accurate comments “asinine,” “idiotic,” and “dickhead.”

You literally said Vandy is mediocrity. That is not close to true. 

Bo should definitely be in your top 10 list of issues in this game. 

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

I get what you're trying to say but the Emory-AR situation is wildly different. Bo isn't out here throwing multiple Interceptions (zero this year) and isn't looking like dog s***.

We also haven't seen near enough from TJ to imply he's any better. AR has actually flashed that dynamic ability and put up bit time stats. TJ's numbers from LSU look worse than what we have now.

Not to mention PSU would have sacked him 4+ times in this game with his lower mobility.

Backup being popular cliche never dies.

Emory had some wild missed passes and some questionable running decisions, but he displayed more of an it factor than Nix has sans his 4th quarter 2 years ago. Whilst playing a team referred to as leagues above everyone else. No way people would take Bo over Emory after this weekend (the latter actually has significantly less reps in game time than the former, so more space to grow IMO). 

I think Anthony will be significantly than all other 3 QBs listed, but my main point was he fit the Mullen system better than than Emory. With this gameplan, without factoring in pressure, Finley would be better. I’d be hard pressed to say Nix is a better deep ball thrower, and especially an open deep ball thrower, than TJ. His significant lack of zip has been problematic with getting screens going before tonight. I’m not saying he’s necessarily better, he’d just be better for this Gus like methodology Bobo employed tonight 

• Facepalm 1