Penn State Post Game Thread

AuburnNTexas

3 minutes ago, Viper said:

1. Don't call trick plays backed up inside your 30, on the road, in front of 110K fans, first play of the half, without any momentum whatsoever.

2. Don't allow Nix to throw more than Tank & Hunter run the ball combined.

3. If you're going to let Nix throw that much, mix in some screens & flats to Tank & Hunter. We ALL agree they are our two best players.

Your turn.... coach.

AT Penn St vs. AT Georgia and AT bammer? No talent discrepancy? Seriously... coach?

1. So again only at midfield at home with less than 70K fans?  "Backed up to the 30" LOL  it's not like we were on the 8 yard line.   

2 agreed.

3  may be.  Depends on how the opponent is lining up.  It is not like the Dye days  when you knew we we going to run it,  and we still ran it down your throat.   we don't have the horses on the OL  for that style. play. 

Talent discrepancy?  some,  but not as much as you  elude to.  The reality is that  PSU is a solid team.    We, at the moment, are a work in progress  and likely will be for another year.

45 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

1. So again only at midfield at home with less than 70K fans?  "Backed up to the 30" LOL  it's not like we were on the 8 yard line.   

2 agreed.

3  may be.  Depends on how the opponent is lining up.  It is not like the Dye days  when you knew we we going to run it,  and we still ran it down your throat.   we don't have the horses on the OL  for that style. play. 

Talent discrepancy?  some,  but not as much as you  elude to.  The reality is that  PSU is a solid team.    We, at the moment, are a work in progress  and likely will be for another year.

You can make excuses for the trick play ad nauseum, but bottom line, it turned a 4-pt deficit into an 11-pt deficit, which was the difference in the game. Take away the trick play and Carlson is setting up for a 43-yard game-winner. He had already hit from 43 and 45.

Penn St is 70th in the nation in run defense. We ALL knew they were an average run defense going in. And we STILL had Nix chunk it 37 times for an astounding 185 yards and two dropped INTs (not counting the final play).

We held them to 84 yards rushing and an average of 2.5 YPC. They had ONE run of over 10 yards...a scramble by the QB.

Pat Dye, Terry Bowden, Tommy Tuberville, Gene Chizik, Gus Malzahn and Doug frickin Barfield won those games.

Penn St is a good team. We were, at bottoms, equal in talent. Their OC simply called a better game than our OC. Bottom line.

Edited by Viper

11 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

That’s where we differ. I don’t believe that this is a quick, one year fix. I think we have some great pieces in place, but I haven’t seen enough to make me think we can *consistently compete at the highest level in the SEC yet. Call it what you will. 

Man, I envy your ability to remain civil. 

And I agree with you. 

• Thanks 1

Justin Hokanson (@_JHokanson) Tweeted:
This was an odd read. No safety high and watch Kobe Hudson run the post from the left slot. Bo Nix steps to the right and there’s nobody in the middle. Instead, it’s a quick read and launch to Shedrick Jackson. https://t.co/v59gB89JXT

couldn’t copy the link for some reason, but this has always been my difficulty in how much blame to put on Auburn OCs in the past. Bo WILL make some abhorrent misreads occasionally and I imagine that handicaps a play caller to some degree right? Anyway, misses Kobe for likely a TD if ball is caught and in stride throw 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

This was an odd read. No safety high and watch Kobe Hudson run the post from the left slot. Bo Nix steps to the right and there’s nobody in the middle. Instead, it’s a quick read and launch to Shedrick Jackson.

23 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

This was an odd read. No safety high and watch Kobe Hudson run the post from the left slot. Bo Nix steps to the right and there’s nobody in the middle. Instead, it’s a quick read and launch to Shedrick Jackson. https://t.co/v59gB89JXT

couldn’t copy the link for some reason, but this has always been my difficulty in how much blame to put on Auburn OCs in the past. Bo WILL make some abhorrent misreads occasionally and I imagine that handicaps a play caller to some degree right? Anyway, misses Kobe for likely a TD if ball is caught and in stride throw 

That's not a bad read. He went after the single coverage. Needed a better throw.

Edited by ValleyTiger

6 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

That's not a bad read. He went after the single coverage. Needed a better throw.

I guess I’m factoring in ability to make a throw when I say a bad read. I figure Bo can put that on the money to what should be an open Hudson out of his break on the post. I can count on one hand how many times Bo has lofted a throw to a receiver that has a DB on his back. Idk if that’s a good read for him, but I’ll acquiesce that you made a good point 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I guess I’m factoring in ability to make a throw when I say a bad read. I figure Bo can put that on the money to what should be an open Hudson out of his break on the post. I can count on one hand how many times Bo has lofted a throw to a receiver that has a DB on his back. Idk if that’s a good read for him, but I’ll acquiesce that you made a good point 

I was just speaking to the fact that it's not a bad or even odd read as Hoke put it. Players got to make some plays, the QB and the pass catchers. It's easy to Monday Morning QB and say just slide right and hit Kobe bc he broke open. There were plenty of opportunities for Auburn to win that game.

Glad you brought it up. The visuals always help us fans engage in these kind of conversations and that skycam angle is wonderful for breaking down QB play.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Watch yourself bro! 😂

• Haha 1

On 9/20/2021 at 9:45 PM, Viper said:

You can make excuses for the trick play ad nauseum, but bottom line, it turned a 4-pt deficit into an 11-pt deficit, which was the difference in the game. Take away the trick play and Carlson is setting up for a 43-yard game-winner. He had already hit from 43 and 45.

Penn St is 70th in the nation in run defense. We ALL knew they were an average run defense going in. And we STILL had Nix chunk it 37 times for an astounding 185 yards and two dropped INTs (not counting the final play).

We held them to 84 yards rushing and an average of 2.5 YPC. They had ONE run of over 10 yards...a scramble by the QB.

Pat Dye, Terry Bowden, Tommy Tuberville, Gene Chizik, Gus Malzahn and Doug frickin Barfield won those games.

Penn St is a good team. We were, at bottoms, equal in talent. Their OC simply called a better game than our OC. Bottom line.

Bottom line.  That’s your opinion.  I’m more of the opinion that there were some plays that could have been made with a better read from the QB and several plays that are probably a better chance of making if number 11 is not in the game.    The game played liked I thought it would.  PSU had already played a good opponent and AU hadn’t