Penn State Post Game Thread

AuburnNTexas

Concerning the 4th and 2   fade call...     Hear me out ,  is this just coaches figuring out their personnel or is it just a lack of awareness of what really works? 

to call that play in that situation you would think we would have to had a 70%+ success rate in practice   right? 

Edited by auskip07
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

As if Bo threw a single good deep ball tonight... Yes, the WRs dropped a couple tonight but never have I seen a QB throw a ball into the rafters on every deep ball like Bo did tonight. And that's on the coaches because he has not been able to consistently make those throws since he's been here. 

What's up with Bo throwing those bloody moon balls??????

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Can't it be both?  Its not like our D was shutting them down all night.

We have the horses at RB and at Linebacker and our D Front is good at clogging up the middle run.

We are really lacking in talent on the OL, an Edge Rusher, and Pass Coverage. Our receivers are barely better than average I would say. She nker is a very good Tight End.

Bo doesn't put the fear into defenses.

Just now, jAUSon said:

And Georgia is at home. If we learned our  lessons tonight then..........

Daniels is gonna have 350 yards against this soft coverage if I'm being honest. This defensive scheme we've been running has been horrendous for the secondary.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cbo said:

You know I usually agree with you, but if we can't discuss players or position groups, what's the point of this message board? The whole team needs to improve, but some groups are definitely better than others. 

But they aren't all treated the same, I guarantee bout time you wake in the morning Bo didn't play the best but he tried very hard and played hard wasn't that bad, o line sucked and wr sucked and everybody let him down. Watch

Edited by cole256
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Bad game coaching?  maybe

But good coaching got us to this point. 

We're just a few OL classes behind most opponents.

Bad coaching put us behind the 8 ball to begin with, with a flipping reverse to open the half. 

Bad coaching iced it with a fade to a freshman receiver when you have a loaded back field and only need 2 yards. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Auburn Tiger said:

Their qb was clearly better than ours though. Clearly. 

How can you tell? If we had gotten pressure on their QB, he may have folded. The few times we did, he threw an INT. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Daniels is gonna have 350 yards against this soft coverage if I'm being honest. This defensive scheme we've been running has been horrendous for the secondary.

I'm thinking (hope) that 3-4 zone or whatever it is will be gone and we can eat the cookies. 

Edited by TitanTiger
knock off the personal attacks
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Our game planning seems to revolve around getting Shed Jackson his first college td too sometimes it seems. Really forcing some stuff for no reason.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Can't it be both?  Its not like our D was shutting them down all night.

What u mean Auburn played them toe to toe and had more miscues. All things equal Auburns last drive possible could have been the game winner

Just now, cole256 said:

But they aren't all treated the same, I guarantee bout time you wake in the morning Bo didn't play the best but he tried very hard and played hard wasn't that bad, o line sucked and wr sucked and everybody let him down. Watch

Alright, I got you now. I've already seen some of that. 

1 minute ago, CCTAU said:

How can you tell? If we had gotten pressure on their QB, he may have folded. The few times we did, he threw an INT. 

😐

Just now, cole256 said:

I can't believe we made that call at the end of the game

I know. We should have run the ball with Tank and JH each holding the ball!

Going into the game I wanted to see what kind of team we had. Would we be competitive, would we be able to handle adversity, would we be tough, would the O and D lines be improved, will the QB keep calm and make good decisions. We got all that for the most part.

In the process, we passed a big test and gave PSU all they could handle in their own house. Like most close games it came down to a turnover and we were in it until the last play. I think we have us a football team, one that will fight to the end and has a lot of potential. Better play calling in certain critical situations needs to happen.

• Like 1

I do not understand Bo's throwing.  It is as if he just does not have the needed arm strength.  Whenever he needed to go deep, it was just float it as high as possible and see if the receiver comes down with it.  When we had bigger better receivers, that was an option.  With the guys we have now I just don't see it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Man some of yall are nuts. Put the drink down. Grab a bottle of water and a cup of coffee. Im as oissed as anyone else. But we all know- had Gus been the coach we wouldve been BLOWN out. That D wouldve feasted on Bo like UGA did. Theres some disappointing play calls, defensive strategies, sure  But we are way further along than we were under gus... by the way MSU lost to memphis today. Arkansas is one dimensional (but pretty good in that dimension). Texas a&m is all D, they have zero offense. Lsu is beatable and might fire their coach soon. SCAR is still scar, and ole miss doesnt have a defense. If we improve (and this was game 1 for us) we should beat all of those teams. 

This is hilarious.  This game looked exactly like our out of conference top 10 games early in the season from prior years.  We beat Washington, Oregon, Louisville, and lost to Clemson twice by the same margin that we lost this game or less. During LSU's championship year, we played them closer than any other team they faced. This looked a lot like the Florida game we lost that same year by a similar margin.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Our game planning seems to revolve around getting Shed Jackson his first college td too sometimes it seems. Really forcing some stuff for no reason.

Canion must've put a steel chair over one of the coach's back. I don't know how that guy isn't better than Shed at actually receiving the ball. Shed can get himself open but its meaningless when the ball avoids him like the plague 

Just now, e808 said:

What u mean Auburn played them toe to toe and had more miscues. All things equal Auburns last drive possible could have been the game winner

I'm sorry, did I miss the part where the D played lights out?  Cause I'm pretty sure they got zero pass rush and let TEs kill them all game long.  Plus we dropped a lot of balls.

We had a shot, but just because we had a shot doesn't mean that it was automatically an even game.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I’m disappointed but that game matches what my expectations were coming into the season. I said it in the other post but outside of our RBs and our LBs, this is an average team at best. It doesn’t look like our recruiting is going to be great this year either so my expectations for next year or even the next aren’t very high. We got to get better guys and we got to settle in a lot more. In other words we got a looooong way to go. I hate that but it’s the truth. 

Hey at least we ain’t losing with Gus. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Side Note: The play calling on both sides were god awful. No excuse for that. 

I very respectfully disagree with some of this.  I’m no former player or coach but I think this loss is solely on the coaching. Bobo gets an F and Mason a D.  Yes we need a couple of receivers to step up, badly, but these guys are following orders.  I think we have serious talent overall. But we were clearly outcoached.  DBs looked sloppy but i think it was the scheme. Spotted them 7, in ultra-hostile environment, and could have won.  With the correct D scheme, and competent (not excellent, just competent) play calling it appeared to me that we win this game handily. 

• Like 1