Penn State Post Game Thread

AuburnNTexas

5 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Is it plausible that it could take Mason a few big games to get out of the mindset from coaching at Vandy? Could he be resorting back to a mentallity of coaching very conservatively and not to lose instead of coaching to win because he is used to coaching with inferior athletes than what he has now? 

Also could've been a staff decision due to the environment. Try to keep the crowd out of it as much as possible. But we're going to see a lot more of that this season so I hope that wasn't it or that they have realized that was a big miscalculation.

One thing I won't forgive from this staff is another game where they don't trust our playmakers to make plays. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Also could've been a staff decision due to the environment. Try to keep the crowd out of it as much as possible. But we're going to see a lot more of that this season so I hope that wasn't it or that they have realized that was a big miscalculation.

One thing I won't forgive from this staff is another game where they don't trust our playmakers to make plays. 

Could be a good point, I am guessing less communication is needed in a zone.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Viper said:

There are specific times and situations to use them. Our running game was clicking.

To me it’s the perfect time to use it because they’re expecting the run and sold out to that side of the field. When trickery works it’s great and when they don’t it can look bad.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Viper said:

There are specific times and situations to use them. Our running game was clicking.

To me it’s the perfect time to use it because they’re expecting the run and sold out to that side of the field. When trickery works it’s great and when they don’t it can look bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Why would they be expecting the run? It was the first play of the half. No pattern or trend had been set. We had not set them up for it, for example, after a big 1st down with the run. 

9 minutes ago, Viper said:

Why would they be expecting the run? It was the first play of the half. No pattern or trend had been set. We had not set them up for it, for example, after a big 1st down with the run. 

Agreed, basically came out cold turkey and ran a trick play .

• Thanks 1

On 9/19/2021 at 7:29 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

Jeezbus. Some of y’all act like we didn’t just take a top 10 team down to the wire on the road.

Frankly, that is not something new for Auburn.  We have been there and done that.

For example:

2016 - lost to No. 2 Clemson 19-13

2017 - 10 win season.  Lost to No. 10 Clemson 14-6 at Clemson.

2018 - Not a great year by AU standards, finished 8-5. Defeated No. 6 Washington 21-16 in the Kickoff Classic.

2019 beat No. 11 Oregon

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Not sure this has been focused on enough. Game 3 under an almost completely new staff. Doesn't make every decision okay but we gotta be real here. This was a bad football team last year and Harsin, Bobo and Mason haven't been working with each other or these players even a full year. Furthermore, Harsin was sitting at home for two crucial weeks of prep in August and many of the players have missed time, too. 

I'm curious who thinks that 2010 team would've won this game in week 3 at Happy Valley in a whiteout? I don't. That team went to OT with an unranked Clemson team at home. That 2013 team definitely wouldn't have won this game in week 3. I doubt the '81 team would have. That 2004 team would have, but that was also year 6 for Tuberville. 

I'll tell ya what, though. It's great to see the fan base complaining about a handful of specific things and not complete offensive dysfunction. 

Thankfully, there is a long season ahead to see how much this team improves.  If it ends the year anywhere close to where the teams you mentioned ended, it will be a great year.

After years of inept coaching I think a bunch of us are way too quick to over analyze the play calling.   Now if it becomes a pattern, then there should be concern.  Coaches are feeling out the players and trying to figure out what we can and can’t do since we faced two of the worst teams in college football. we did not learn much of anything about anything.  Besides Hunter is a beast.

Edited by auburnphan
  • Like 2

On 9/19/2021 at 6:29 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

Jeezbus. Some of y’all act like we didn’t just take a top 10 team down to the wire on the road.

In the mid 2000s, Tubbs had one helluva road game streak over ranked opponents, including #4 Florida & Tebow & Urban at the Swamp. 

AU isn’t foreign to taking down Top 10 teams on the road by a mile. 

Edited by Viper

3 minutes ago, Viper said:

In the mid 2000s, Tubbs had one helluva road game streak over ranked opponents, including #4 Florida & Tebow & Urban at the Swamp. 

AU isn’t foreign taking down Top 10 teams on the road by a mile. 

Why do you hate Harsin so much?  Almost invariably  your posts are about  how bad Auburn sucks under Harsin.

If Harsin and Auburn can't live up to your delusional standards,  go pull for another team.

10 minutes ago, Viper said:

AU isn’t foreign to taking down Top 10 teams on the road by a mile. 

I am well aware of that. I have been an Auburn fan my whole life. My sole point is that the people that are losing their collective minds over this first tough game are overreacting. I’m choosing not to.

9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

That's the card in my rolodex of emotions that I'm stuck on right now. That's the thing that just feels like a possible red flag as far as our coaching staff goes.

I suspect we played zone because of personnel.     We were  down McClain,  (and Pappoe).   It is hard to replace a good covering senior's man-on-man skills.  

PSU fan here- first, just wanted to say I enjoyed checking out this forum and reading what you had to say all week leading up to the game.  Auburn played well and I think you have plenty to feel good about after the game despite the outcome. 

This was posted on one of the Penn State forums and thought you might like to see.  

Complete game from Skycam-  no TV announcers, no commercials.  Cool viewpoint allowing you to see the formations and flow of each play.   Penn State vs Auburn 2021 White Out | SkyCam Full Broadcast - YouTube

Same thing- highlights only (short version that runs quickly from play to play):  Penn State vs Auburn 2021 White Out | SkyCam Highlights - YouTube

See you guys next year at your place!  Should be great again.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Why do you hate Harsin so much?  Almost invariably  your posts are about  how bad Auburn sucks under Harsin.

If Harsin and Auburn can't live up to your delusional standards,  go pull for another team.

Why are you so sensitive?  His post said nothing of the sort.  Some of you just need to grow up a little and stop acting like this program is some sort of a total rebuild, which it isn't, and more importantly, that this program has had no recent success, which it has.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hazeydave said:

PSU fan here- first, just wanted to say I enjoyed checking out this forum and reading what you had to say all week leading up to the game.  Auburn played well and I think you have plenty to feel good about after the game despite the outcome. 

This was posted on one of the Penn State forums and thought you might like to see.  

Complete game from Skycam-  no TV announcers, no commercials.  Cool viewpoint allowing you to see the formations and flow of each play.   Penn State vs Auburn 2021 White Out | SkyCam Full Broadcast - YouTube

Same thing- highlights only (short version that runs quickly from play to play):  Penn State vs Auburn 2021 White Out | SkyCam Highlights - YouTube

See you guys next year at your place!  Should be great again.

Thank you and good luck the rest of the way!

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I am well aware of that. I have been an Auburn fan my whole life. My sole point is that the people that are losing their collective minds over this first tough game are overreacting. I’m choosing not to.

That's fine if you prefer the moral victories or if you believe (like some here) that "progress" over the last staff is sufficient.

My view is enough pieces were in place this season for a huge season + GA & bammer at home. We all know the even-numbered seasons are going to be near-impossible to win the SEC for at least another decade, maybe much longer, esp when Yabo takes over. We have to take advantage of the odd-numbered seasons. In 2023, the team will be super young.

That game was precisely there for the taking. And the coaches shat the bed. If they're going to continue to let Nix throw nearly as many or more times than Tank/Hunter/Shivers/Nix run as a total unit, not only is a SEC Title flushed, 5-6 losses is very likely.

1 minute ago, AU9377 said:

Why are you so sensitive?  

Because I am sick of delusional  posters that whine and complain like entitled bitches.   They are Blamers.  They can except reality  and must point blame.     There is criticism , and then there is just being a jaded fool.     There are a few posters who do nothing but talk about how bad Auburn is under Harsin.    

Look at some of these poster's history.    All they do  is bitch and moan and second guess every little thing like they have an agenda against Harsin or Auburn.    Blaming Bo ,blaming Bobo , blaming Harsin, blaming Mason, blaming a play call.

They claim to have ridiculously high expectations  and lose there cool when they are not met.

we have a coach in his 3rd game.  It is rare that a new coach walks into an established top 10 team's house in their 3rd game and walks away with a win.   It happens,  but expecting it or demanding it is delusional.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Sounds like you need to stick with baseball.... coach.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

All they do  is bitch and moan and second guess every little thing like they have an agenda against Harsin or Auburn.    Blaming Bo ,blaming Bobo , blaming Harsin, blaming Mason, blaming a play call.

Yo Phillip...don't you have another Auburn Undercover column to write?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Viper said:

We all know the even-numbered seasons are going to be near-impossible to win the SEC for at least another decade, maybe much longer, esp when Yabo takes over. We have to take advantage of the odd-numbered seasons. In 2023, the team will be super young.

yes,  2023 we will be young.  So, what do you do to take advantage of odd years that you don't already do?   Try more than 100%?

Make up your mind. 

Is it:  harder to win in even number years because we have to play tough top 10 away games? 

or is it:   NOT  harder to win a tough top 10 away game this year?  

If traveling (long distance) and fighting PSU was supposed to be so easy,  why are you so worried about UGA and Bama away games in even years?

40 minutes ago, Viper said:

That's fine if you prefer the moral victories or if you believe (like some here) that "progress" over the last staff is sufficient.

My view is enough pieces were in place this season for a huge season + GA & bammer at home. We all know the even-numbered seasons are going to be near-impossible to win the SEC for at least another decade, maybe much longer, esp when Yabo takes over. We have to take advantage of the odd-numbered seasons. In 2023, the team will be super young.

That game was precisely there for the taking. And the coaches shat the bed. If they're going to continue to let Nix throw nearly as many or more times than Tank/Hunter/Shivers/Nix run as a total unit, not only is a SEC Title flushed, 5-6 losses is very likely.

That’s where we differ. I don’t believe that this is a quick, one year fix. I think we have some great pieces in place, but I haven’t seen enough to make me think we can *consistently compete at the highest level in the SEC yet. Call it what you will. 

Edited by Tiger Refuge
Wording for clarity
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

yes,  2023 we will be young.  So, what do you do to take advantage of odd years that you don't already do?   Try more than 100%?

1. Don't call trick plays backed up inside your 30, on the road, in front of 110K fans, first play of the half, without any momentum whatsoever.

2. Don't allow Nix to throw more than Tank & Hunter run the ball combined.

3. If you're going to let Nix throw that much, mix in some screens & flats to Tank & Hunter. We ALL agree they are our two best players.

Your turn.... coach.

9 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Is it:  harder to win in even number years because we have to play tough top 10 away games? 

or is it:   NOT  harder to win a tough top 10 away game this year? 

If traveling (long distance) and fighting PSU was supposed to be so easy,  why are you so worried about UGA and Bama away games in even years?  

AT Penn St vs. AT Georgia and AT bammer? No talent discrepancy? Seriously... coach?

• Like 1