2023 Discussion Thread

Zeek

So, on August 30 Hood states he thrilled because "Auburn is where I always wanted to go". That ON3 site says he's had an offer for a month. Then he picks Michigan State?

Apparently some of you are now saying losing a recruit to Mich. St. is perfectly OK with you because the other coach is a good recruiter, we didn't need him anyway or in spite of what the site and the player said his offer was not committable?

This doesn't wash.

Did anybody actually say any of these things, lol. I pointed out that Mel Tucker is an excellent recruiter. There’s a reason MSU gave him a $95 million contract despite no long-term track record as a HC. I wish Hood had committed to Auburn but it’s not like he chose UTEP or something 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fredst said:

Did anybody actually say any of these things, lol

Read the several posts above. Said or implied. You pointed out that Tucker is an excellent recruiter. That doesn't explain why a Georgia kid who is an Auburn legacy chooses to go to East Lansing Michigan over Auburn Alabama. 

I don't think losing this one individual is some huge loss. We have numbers at his position. The problem is that this is starting to look like a trend. A number of our targets from our normal recruiting area have chosen destinations other than AU, and I'm not talking about the kids who are going to UAT or UGA.

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Read the several posts above. Said or implied. You pointed out that Tucker is an excellent recruiter. That doesn't explain why a Georgia kid who is an Auburn legacy chooses to go to East Lansing Michigan over Auburn Alabama. 

I don't think losing this one individual is some huge loss. We have numbers at his position. The problem is that this is starting to look like a trend. A number of our targets from our normal recruiting area have chosen destinations other than AU, and I'm not talking about the kids who are going to UAT or UGA.

OK

Edited by fredst
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It's something...

It’s just not worth engaging most of the time. Never enjoyable to “discuss” with someone convinced of their intellectual infallibility. Best to just move on….

Edited by fredst
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, fredst said:

It’s just not worth engaging most of the time. Best to just move on….

But it'd be so nice to have genuine and intellectually honest conversation about Auburn. 

There are so many differing opinions but so few are honest in the assessment or conclusions they argue.  Being right isn't as important as being honest.  We all have bad takes, missed evals, and lazy conclusions, but there is no need to double down and purposely misrepresent.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

You have some legitimate points.  In the past other then losing to the UGA, bama types we didn't get beat that often by out of area teams.   I keep hearing the kids who go someplace else that they had a great relationship with this or that Auburn coach so that makes me think it is something else. Two things come to mind one because of the February debacle with Harsin coaches are saying Harsin is lame duck and will be gone and the other thing is NIL.  

Sadly I still think NIL is part of the issue. On the tracking thread I remember seeing that we are still pursuing the TE Thurman and the only obstacle is NIL.

Before anybody brings up Tank and NIL. Yes for special players we seem to be able to come up with NIL but across the board we seem to be lacking. 

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

I am beginning to feel sorry for Mikey. 

That wasn't directed at him, but continue to be in your feelings 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, fredst said:

I don’t think Mikey needs or wants your sympathy. I think @bigbirdcomments could apply to everybody on the board. Except maybe @augolf1716🤔…..

If it was taken as a directed shot, then I should've been more clear.  

I'm trying to be kinder...

BTW, They would apply to @augolf1716 too, but he can't ever remember what's happening anyway. 

Now...now! I'm trying to be kinder now.   starting now...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

You ever been to East Lansing?  Its a pretty nice place with gorgeous women and a higher ranked education than Auburn.

Not hard to see why a kid would prefer it over AU.

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

You ever been to East Lansing?  Its a pretty nice place with gorgeous women and a higher ranked education than Auburn.

Winter though….

31 minutes ago, fredst said:

Winter though….

I lived there.  Its cold, but its fine.  And the ladies like you to help them stay warm.

Honestly if I could do it again knowing what I know now, I'd go to MSU over Auburn.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

If it was taken as a directed shot, then I should've been more clear.  

I'm trying to be kinder...

BTW, They would apply to @augolf1716 too, but he can't ever remember what's happening anyway. 

Now...now! I'm trying to be kinder now.   starting now...

10 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I was there, but briefly. Say three days. Point being, I don't ever remember AU losing a prospect from this immediate recruiting area to Mich. St. This cycle we have now lost two.

Top 30 class of 2022 in-state recruits (Rivals) AU, 3. Unusual places chosen by top 30 Al. players: Arky, 2, Ky, 2, Mich. State 1, Penn St. 1. I didn't list players who have chosen UAT, UGA, Clemson, Florida, FSU or other more normal destinations.

We're losing prospects to schools who don't normally come in here and get them.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Like Cristobal while at Oregon, Franklin at PSU, Vennables at OU, or Freeman at ND?

It's not hard to imagine a phenomenal recruiter with extensive ties to the state and coaches was able to get him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Like Cristobal while at Oregon, Franklin at PSU, Vennables at OU, or Freeman at ND?

It's not hard to imagine a phenomenal recruiter with extensive ties to the state and coaches was able to get him.

Two each to Kentucky and Arky in addition to the others? What's happening right now is not normal. One, a year, maybe two in a rare year.

39 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I was there, but briefly. Say three days. Point being, I don't ever remember AU losing a prospect from this immediate recruiting area to Mich. St. This cycle we have now lost two.

Top 30 class of 2022 in-state recruits (Rivals) AU, 3. Unusual places chosen by top 30 Al. players: Arky, 2, Ky, 2, Mich. State 1, Penn St. 1. I didn't list players who have chosen UAT, UGA, Clemson, Florida, FSU or other more normal destinations.

Recruiting is more national now than ever before.  The old ideas of "recruiting area" need to be reconsidered by fans, because coaches have long moved on.  You identify and get talent wherever you can.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Actually it kind of is, though. Frigid winters, worse football, and in this case very far from home.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Actually it kind of is, though. Frigid winters, worse football, and in this case very far from home.

Again, I lived there for years.  Speaking from first hand knowledge.

Its cold, not frigid.

Football is on par with AU over the last 9 or so years, if not slightly better.

Some kids don't want to be near home.  I went to AU because I couldn't afford to leave the state.  But if I could have, I would have been a long way away when I was 18.  Don't assume that being close to home is important for everyone.  It's not.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Again, I lived there for years.  Speaking from first hand knowledge.

Its cold, not frigid.

Football is on par with AU over the last 9 or so years, if not slightly better.

Some kids don't want to be near home.  I went to AU because I couldn't afford to leave the state.  But if I could have, I would have been a long way away when I was 18.  Don't assume that being close to home is important for everyone.  It's not.

Weren’t you also the guy who said Baton Rogue was a friendly, great experience for a visiting fan? You’ve had a lot of atypical experiences it sounds like. 

Regardless, MSU is not on par with Auburn in football. Never has been. It’s traditionally a mid-tier Big 10 school. That doesn’t equate to an SEC power - even if the W/L records are similar in a small window. 

8 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Weren’t you also the guy who said Baton Rogue was a friendly, great experience for a visiting fan? You’ve had a lot of atypical experiences it sounds like. 

Regardless, MSU is not on par with Auburn in football. Never has been. It’s traditionally a mid-tier Big 10 school. That doesn’t equate to an SEC power - even if the W/L records are similar in a small window. 

Visiting BR and living somewhere for 4 years aren't comparable.  My experience in EL wasn't "atypical".  I'm guessing you've never been there and thus couldn't tell me what a typical experience would be.

As for MSU football, you should really learn your history before saying its never been on par with Auburn.  They have more national titles than AU, which is traditionally a mid-tier SEC school (sorry, its true).

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Visiting BR and living somewhere for 4 years aren't comparable.  My experience in EL wasn't "atypical".  I'm guessing you've never been there and thus couldn't tell me what a typical experience would be.

As for MSU football, you should really learn your history before saying its never been on par with Auburn.  They have more national titles than AU, which is traditionally a mid-tier SEC school (sorry, its true).

Goodness gracious, dude. I don’t even know what to say to that other than you’ve got some AU self-loathing tendencies.

• Facepalm 1