Tough loss

bigbird

Just now, AUStew87 said:

I just want to say that in my opinion the answer to our QB woes isn’t on the team yet or at the very least hasn’t been given a chance to play a down. I also don’t think the answer to the oline and WR problems are currently on the roster. Harsin needs time to rebuild this team. 

Agree. The last staff left us in shambles. We will be rebuilding for the next year or 2. But we better recruit better or we will never compete with the big boys. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

We need to recruit better. 

This 100% . Jimbo has recruited really well and it’s about to show up 

• Like 1

Starting to get a little worried about this staffs recruiting. Really like Harain overall but it’s Way too late in year 2 for us to be ranked 13th in the sec. you can’t compete (with uga, bama at least) if you are ranked 13th in the country ... The talent gap between us and the top of the sec is pretty glaring IMO 

The offensive line is trash. We can't run the ball and our QB can't keep his head under pressure. 

Recruiting is key and it has to get much better than it is right now. This was the risk of bringing in a guy from across the country with no SEC experience. He's outperformed my expectations many times this season, but if this team doesn't get better quickly then we have two more losses ahead of us heading into the bowls. That's not going to make his job any easier. 

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

The team we lost to today was exactly where we are three years ago. They built their roster with bigger faster stronger  players (they landed nations top player Walter Nolan today) and developing them. There is zero reason this AU staff can’t and won’t do the same thing. But it will take 2-3 more years. War Eagle 🦅 anyway. Beat State!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, 19812003 said:

Starting to get a little worried about this staffs recruiting. Really like Harain overall but it’s Way too late in year 2 for us to be ranked 13th in the sec. you can’t compete (with uga, bama at least) if you are ranked 13th in the country ... The talent gap between us and the top of the sec is pretty glaring IMO 

Supposedly we had a big recruiting weekend last week but there really wasn't much reporting about it.

Edited by AUwent

2 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Recruiting is key and it has to get much better than it is right now. This was the risk of bringing in a guy from across the country with no SEC experience. He's outperformed my expectations many times this season, but if this team doesn't get better quickly

I agree but the roster won’t get better quickly. It took Jimbo 4 years to build the roster we faced today. 

4 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I agree but the roster won’t get better quickly. It took Jimbo 4 years to build the roster we faced today. 

They won 9 games year 1, 8 year 2, and 10 year 3. If that's building, I'm all for it lol.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Very true, but Fisher's first class was ranked 17 (24/7) and he's been top 10 ever since. our current class is 34 and at the bottom of the conference. Signing days are still ahead, but that's not encouraging and is going to have to improve very quickly. 

18 minutes ago, Never2Yield said:

Agreed, because if not it'll only get worse.

Totally agree, at the same time, did you see Lane Kiffin’s walk-on receivers last week? I mean all back ups, (at a couple points in the game) two of the three were walk-ons and they look better than our starters.

It seems like we’re on about season four of an average, at best O-line. It just seems like other teams/coaches are able to fill these holes. Hoping for better next year! Just a tough loss I guess!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 19812003 said:

I mean, this staff haven’t had 12 calendar months yet. It’s gonna take just a liiiiitle time.

• Like 2

Just now, Tiger Refuge said:

I mean, this staff haven’t had 12 calendar months yet. It’s gonna take just a liiiiitle time.

Finishing 34th and next to last in the SEC will not cut it, I don't acre what the circumstances are. Need to take advantage of the last two home games we have.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Finishing 34th and next to last in the SEC will not cut it, I don't acre what the circumstances are. Need to take advantage of the last two home games we have.

Definitely a big concern! Harsin was not my number one choice, but you can’t help but grow to like the guy. At the same time, you could pluck any good high school coach out of the state of Alabama, name him as Auburn University head coach, and he would finish in the top 35 in recruiting. We simply have to step it up!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Definitely a big concern! Harsin was not my number one choice, but you can’t help but grow to like the guy. At the same time, you could pluck any good high school coach out of the state of Alabama, name him as Auburn University head coach, and he would finish in the top 35 in recruiting. We simply have to step it up!

IF recruiting were to stay like this, a change would be made by the time the Red River twins join. That said, would anyone come here if our roster is that depleted? Very good chance this scenario won't happen, mind you. 

Edited by AUwent

Going into the season I think most of us thought that UGa, bama and TAMU had better rosters and were ahead of us. That has turned out to be the case so there is no surprise there. We have shown we are ahead or on par with the rest of the SEC and that is somewhat of a surprise. On the TAMU game, it was there for the taking but we couldn't make the plays. The defense held the TAMU offense to 4 FGs, 0 TDs and that is a winning defense.

On a side note, I thought our pass distribution in the TAMU game was revealing. 

RBs- 10 (Worm 6, Tank 4)

TEs- 5 (Shenker 4, Deal 1)

WRs- 5 (Jackson 2, Robertson 1, Hudson 1, Capers 1)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IronMan70 said:

Going into the season I think most of us thought that UGa, bama and TAMU had better rosters and were ahead of us. That has turned out to be the case so there is no surprise there. We have shown we are ahead or on par with the rest of the SEC and that is somewhat of a surprise. On the TAMU game, it was there for the taking but we couldn't make the plays. The defense held the TAMU offense to 4 FGs, 0 TDs and that is a winning defense.

On a side note, I thought our pass distribution in the TAMU game was revealing. 

RBs- 10 (Worm 6, Tank 4)

TEs- 5 (Shenker 4, Deal 1)

WRs- 5 (Jackson 2, Robertson 1, Hudson 1, Capers 1)

To be fair, there were a few more delivered to the WRs that were dropped. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I agree. I’m just not as ready as some to throw the towel in on this staff and their recruiting when they have only been here for 11 months. 

It’s been very well documented on the recruiting forum, so no need to rehash it here.

Yes. They need to recruit better. They also need to retain better and develop better than the previous staff.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

In the SEC we’ve beaten the teams we have better players than, and lost to the teams with better players than us. Not that complicated. We need better players. 

It's a catch-22. You want better players, then you need to win football games.

1 minute ago, murpjf88 said:

It's a catch-22. You want better players, then you need to win football games.

But that makes sense.

Not sure why your complaining

Edited by Never2Yield

Has anyone else noticed our Carlson seems to be broken?  I’m not saying it cost us the game or anything but I’m just not use to seeing them miss this many in a season.

Just now, Never2Yield said:

But that makes sense.

It’s only a catch 22 if you aren’t the guy . If you are the guy (Saban, Kirby-I know they were shady but we have no excuses in the current land of anything goes recruiting  ), you get players regardless of  stellar results immediately.

1 minute ago, CCTAU said:

To be fair, there were a few more delivered to the WRs that were dropped. 

Correct. Still, Bo's pass chart is going to have the vast majority of targets less than 15 yards in depth. We made it easy for them to defend and you could literally see their secondary becoming more and more aggressive bc of it.