auburns pass rush last game..alarming

aubiefifty

https://i.redd.it/msxmt1pt89081.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Those stats are very misleading

so adding another pass rusher and attempting to put more pressure on a QB doesnt work? 

Edited by auskip07
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

so adding another pass rusher and attempting to put more pressure on a QB doesnt work? 

Not unless they reach him. He was doing extremely well at moving to the open space and finding who he needed to.

Edited by Hank2020
Spelling

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Not unless they teach him. He was doing extremely well at moving to the open space and finding who he needed to.

Reach him?      If they are disrupting the pocket and having him move out of it  that usually benefits the defense. 

50 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Those stats are very misleading

Pls elaborate. srs.

I'd like to probably see down/distance maybe quarter in those stats for a little bit bigger of a picture

Edited by W.E.D

19 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

Reach him?      If they are disrupting the pocket and having him move out of it  that usually benefits the defense. 

Didn’t seem to last game. He moved quite a bit but still found people. (24/26)

17 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Pls elaborate. srs.

I'd like to probably see down/distance maybe quarter in those stats for a little bit bigger of a picture

That's what make it misleading. We usually went 4 down linemen in the redzone. But down and distance would be very important to make any type of correlation that the article insinuates. It's much harder to pass when you reduce the size of the field.

Now you actually are able to blitz because of tighter windows and your secondary isn't worried about getting beat deep

Just now, cole256 said:

That's what make it misleading. We usually went 4 down linemen in the redzone. But down and distance would be very important to make any type of correlation that the article insinuates. It's much harder to pass when you reduce the size of the field.

Now you actually are able to blitz because of tighter windows and your secondary isn't worried about getting beat deep

Watched highlights from MSU’s win over LSU last year - Pelini brought 4 or more against Costello on nearly every play and was beat often.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

Do you know who's that pass rusher you are referring to? You have some sort of stat that proves 4 down linemen equal pressure?

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Honestly I'd like to see that actually played out vs some anecdotal plays.  I don't think we have the data to show if your hypothesis is true or not.  I wish we did or someone would expand on it.

Sure it happened some times as you noted, but he was something absurd at 24/26 in the 2nd half and that's whey they scored I think 32 of their 40 unanswered points, right? So lots of redzone action and only 2 incompletions.

Edited by W.E.D

28 minutes ago, woodford said:

So Mon Adams, Derrick Brown, Carl Lawson, etc did absolutely nothing when they broke pass the line to get into the pocket? Ok lol

Lol just say I want to fight without saying I want to fight. What are you even talking about? 😂

9 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Honestly I'd like to see that actually played out.  Sure it happened some times, but he was something absurd at 24/26 in the 2nd half and that's whey they scored I think 32 of their 40 unanswered points, right? So lots of redzone action and only 2 incompletions.

I guess try stuff different in the 4th quarter. I don't know who exactly could've be used but it seems that huge variable is moot. But the d worked the first half. I could see the next quarter trying to make it work. 4 th do something different.....but when the problem is you don't have depth and you don't have pass rushers don't know how you are able to get very aggressive blitzing, or where you're supposed to get the magic d ends that are good at rushing. ...seems like they would already be playing in a game like this.

Edited by cole256

27 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Watched highlights from MSU’s win over LSU last year - Pelini brought 4 or more against Costello on nearly every play and was beat often.

Because this offense is quick hitting to neutralize that. Most d coord would rather go with an extra db in that situation. Unless you have some monster d linemen. I think a guy in this thread thinks Lawson, brown, Adams, etc plays for us this year. No wonder he can't understand why you don't play 4 linemen😂

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Because this offense is quick hitting to neutralize that. Most d coord would rather go with an extra db in that situation. Unless you have some monster d linemen. I think a guy in this thread thinks Lawson, brown, Adams, etc plays for us this year. No wonder he can't understand why you don't play 4 linemen😂

Cole I very seldom disagree with you but in this case I have to.  You are correct that having extra DB helps stop the quick hitting plays MSU likes to run. But one thing they did in the second half because of our using the 3 man rush with 8 DB's is they let the plays develop more because they realized we were not getting pressure. The more time receivers have to get open the better chance they will get open.  Now if we did go to 4 man rush then normal MSU pass attack would have worked better but it would have been small gains instead of big gains, because of how long it takes to score doing that they would not have had as much time to score also more plays better chance of a mistake. 

I think we actually have more depth in D-Line then we use but Mason isn't willing to give players like Hunter and Robinson any PT because they are Freshman. Steele would have used them some throughout the year and by now they would have developed enough to help us.  I will concede up front we don't have depth we need on the Edge but to keep people fresh you could have used a couple of LB's like Riley and Steiner on the edge.  Neither one of them are big enough to be true Edge players but since MSU wasn't running they would have been assets as pass rushers in keeping people fresh.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Cole I very seldom disagree with you but in this case I have to.  You are correct that having extra DB helps stop the quick hitting plays MSU likes to run. But one thing they did in the second half because of our using the 3 man rush with 8 DB's is they let the plays develop more because they realized we were not getting pressure. The more time receivers have to get open the better chance they will get open.  Now if we did go to 4 man rush then normal MSU pass attack would have worked better but it would have been small gains instead of big gains, because of how long it takes to score doing that they would not have had as much time to score also more plays better chance of a mistake. 

I think we actually have more depth in D-Line then we use but Mason isn't willing to give players like Hunter and Robinson any PT because they are Freshman. Steele would have used them some throughout the year and by now they would have developed enough to help us.  I will concede up front we don't have depth we need on the Edge but to keep people fresh you could have used a couple of LB's like Riley and Steiner on the edge.  Neither one of them are big enough to be true Edge players but since MSU wasn't running they would have been assets as pass rushers in keeping people fresh.

I was just pointing out how that's the decision most d coords would make.  Once again this isn't just quick hitting this is so quick to replace a hand off he says. 

Steele isn't some mastermind. Steele just had a bunch of good d line. If Steele was in this predicament we wouldn't have some of the wins we have. 

Yes if we had guys that can generate a pass rush 4 linemen would theoretically do the things you say but if you go 4 linemen and they don't generate a pass rush then what? You give up big plays faster and you have no sub at all for anybody. I don't know why so many think 4 linemen automatically means pressure. 

It seems many feel like mason has the option of generating a pass rush but he chooses not to.....what if it's the guys aren't good enough to generate a pass rush? 

But it's ok to disagree with me man. You're still a great poster in my book. No love lost at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, woodford said:

So Mon Adams, Derrick Brown, Carl Lawson, etc did absolutely nothing when they broke pass the line to get into the pocket? Ok lol

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I guess try stuff different in the 4th quarter. I don't know who exactly could've be used but it seems that huge variable is moot. But the d worked the first half. I could see the next quarter trying to make it work. 4 th do something different.....but when the problem is you don't have depth and you don't have pass rushers don't know how you are able to get very aggressive blitzing, or where you're supposed to get the magic d ends that are good at rushing. ...seems like they would already be playing in a game like this.

At what point did they start scoring in the 2nd quarter?? Did they score one or two TDs? It was 40 unanswered, then another I think.  It was just bad all around for almost 3 quarters.

I don't disagree with your scheme/player stance, I'd just like to see more data bc that's my background and to prove it out...not so much to argue 😅.

I do agree stats can be intentionally misleading 

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

Do you know who's that pass rusher you are referring to? You have some sort of stat that proves 4 down linemen equal pressure?

I dont attend practices and i dont know who they have on the depth chart  but i do know ive seen other DC's get creative  even one Ted Roof sending a Tsharvin Bell to lay a big hit on Greg Mcelroy in a big game.   After 20+ unanswered points we needed to do something.   

I dont work for ESPN  but logically  you cant deny that 4 Linemen vs 5 OL   stand a better chance at pressuring the QB than 3 Linemen vs 5 OL.  (i dont even understand how thats in question but maybe i misunderstood the statment?) 

Edited by auskip07