Men vs Murray State Game Thread

Maverick.AU

What an awesome game!!! Murray State is not bad and Tevin Brown is a stud. We made them look pretty bad. Our depth is CRAZY!!! Flanigan will make our team MUCH better. We will take some lumps early on in the SEC schedule, but if we gel, we can really make some noise. Jabari makes things look so easy. Kessler is a beast on D. Green and Zep are just steady as she goes.

Be afraid, LSU, be very afraid!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

What an awesome game!!! Murray State is not bad and Tevin Brown is a stud. We made them look pretty bad. Our depth is CRAZY!!! Flanigan will make our team MUCH better. We will take some lumps early on in the SEC schedule, but if we gel, we can really make some noise. Jabari makes things look so easy. Kessler is a beast on D. Green and Zep are just steady as she goes.

Be afraid, LSU, be very afraid!!!

How many lumps do you foresee us taking early in the SEC schedule?

I was driving and didn’t get to see the game, but I was very encouraged by the rebounding numbers and CBPs comments about that!   That was my biggest concern about this team.   Moving forward into SEC play, I really like where we’re at!

11 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

How many lumps do you foresee us taking early in the SEC schedule?

I have not looked at the make up of the other SEC teams, but Saint Louis was far more physical than we were. We had much more talent than them and far more depth, however, and were able to come back and beat them. In our only loss, UConn was more physical (I admit I was not able to watch that game). Of our six best players, five are new this year and the other is coming back from a ruptured achilles. The team is getting better every game, especially the guards. We had trouble handling a full court press earlier in the season.

All of this is to say that we will face SEC teams that are more physical and have more depth than anyone we have played so far. The more these guys play together the more we will be able to adjust, but I will be surprised if our lack of physicality and experience playing together does not result in some losses early. That will be okay, because as we gel together as a team we should be able to avenge any early losses! I love wearing orange and blue glasses, but there is a reason we were picked 5th in the SEC, even if many are biased against Auburn.

• Like 2

I watched some of the game but not all of it. Flanigan moved well obviously rusty but I saw some of the Flanigan tough defense and he did not seem to be afraid which is always an issue after an injury.  I am not sure how long it will take to get in game shape and get the rust off but I think we will see the Flanigan we are used to.

Some of my observations 

1.  AU has so many weapons!!  Inside , out , finesse , power, height, quickness. Etc. 

2.  Jabari is the best I have ever seen at Auburn. I wish we could keep him 2 years, but….

3.  The substitution rate makes it hard to be consistent. I completely agree with Bruces idea of my 10 against your ten. The only problem is it makes it hard on each player to play at the right tempo and to know how to spread the ball around.   The tendency is to force the ball sometimes or take a bad shot.  Maybe after Flannigan settles in, everything will settle in place. 
4 Kessler is a force inside and is doing a heck of a job

19 hours ago, VicTree said:

Link to watch?  Sportsurge is not working

I was using reddit.com/collegebasketballstreams

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Wendell from halfcourt after the deflection at the shot clock! Holt crap! 49-35 AU 13:24

My dad and I threw up our hands in disbelief when it went in.

• Love 1

22 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Green’s no-look to Cardwell and the subsequent dunk is one of my favorite sequences this year. 

Twas, a thing of beauty