How do you fix this team/program?

gr82b4au

Short term need a QB and 3 Olinemen.  That would cure a lot of what ails Auburn.  Auburn needs consistency on the offensive side of the ball.  Consistent philosophy, consistent coaching, and consistent recruiting.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

I know this isn't our only problem, but we desperately need an OL that can block. That goes for running and passing. I know that pass blocking has been better than run blocking (not that it means much), but I think we would see a different side of this offense if we could just block.

• Like 2

Here's the good news. The defense, while not dominant, is and should continue to be good enough to keep us in most games. DL and DB are getting deeper and better. LB is a huge concern, but Steiner and Riley seemed to show a little improvement today.

It's all about offensive recruiting and development. Short term portal. Long term building a pipeline so we don't have to rely on portal every year. Two QB's, 3 OL, and a WR. Maybe use another spot for a fourth OL or second WR. The portal guys we bring in should be better than what we got. It's not a high bar

• Like 2

1. Mean streak road grating Offensive line. 

2. See number 1. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Game has changed.  Harsin had to go with the hand that was dealt him.  With portal next years team will not resemble this one.  Year after even bigger changes.  Coaches will adapt or move on.  I think Harsin gets it and will give him the time.  I hate losing but have hope for the future.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, O&B said:

Game has changed.  Harsin had to go with the hand that was dealt him.  With portal next years team will not resemble this one.  Year after even bigger changes.  Coaches will adapt or move on.  I think Harsin gets it and will give him the time.  I hate losing but have hope for the future.

it feels as if this team regressed this year on the offensive side. prior to Nix's injury. I hope that Davis is some kind of qb guru but the fact that Nix didn't improve very much and no back ups were developed doesn't lead me to feel confident.

I think we need a mobile qb with more designed run plays to open up the run game for Tank. At least until a quality offenve line is recruited and developed

• Like 1

everyone in this thread that is saying 1. oline, 2. QB, 3. WRs is correct.  Without solid talent at those groups Harsin cannot run the offense he desires to run.

• Like 5

2-3 yard of losing seasons to purge the program followed by replacing the coach with someone who knows how to recruit in the SEC backed by people who know how to make sure recruits end up with you or at the very least not at your rivals. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2
  • Dislike 3

Nourzard and Brooks is a good start for OL. Get those two and hold tight to see the next wave after bowl season. I'm tying to figure out how we can convince two QB's to come. If we go that route, I'm guessing one is a young guy and one is a grad transfer. We have receivers that can get open deep, so get a big guy that can win some balls

5 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Hire some of the supposed hindsight genius on this board.

I don't mind people being hard on coaches on message boards or social media (no direct or real life harassment though obviously)

These guys are the highest paid public employees in the state and are compensated VERY, VERY, VERY well compensated to put together a winning football team. 

If it doesn't all come together as expected then it's fair for people to get on their backs about it. 

12 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I don't mind people being hard on coaches on message boards or social media (no direct or real life harassment though obviously)

These guys are the highest paid public employees in the state and are compensated VERY, VERY, VERY well compensated to put together a winning football team. 

If it doesn't all come together as expected then it's fair for people to get on their backs about it. 

Me either, it’s the illogical foolish BS that’s tiring. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Fix the QB and OL issues, just DO IT. We don't have an SEC level starting QB on the team so we have to start there and get 2 of them. Then the obvious is to get right on the OL by whatever means necessary. It's sad when the OL of an AAC team appeared to be better than ours. Finally, I hope the new OC brings a breath of fresh air to our QB play and our offense. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

48 minutes ago, jared52 said:

2-3 yard of losing seasons to purge the program followed by replacing the coach with someone who knows how to recruit in the SEC backed by people who know how to make sure recruits end up with you or at the very least not at your rivals. 

Did you not see how the staff closed on ESD with SEC footprint recruits?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, au302 said:

Nourzard and Brooks is a good start for OL. Get those two and hold tight to see the next wave after bowl season. I'm tying to figure out how we can convince two QB's to come. If we go that route, I'm guessing one is a young guy and one is a grad transfer. We have receivers that can get open deep, so get a big guy that can win some balls

We don't even have those two. How can we count them right now??

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Did you not see how the staff closed on ESD with SEC footprint recruits?

With what, one offensive line commit? 

That has to be priority number one. If we lean entirely on the portal or JUCO to fix the problem, we're doing just what Gus did...who brought in decently "ranked" classes on the backs of defensive backs and undersized receivers. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

We don't even have those two. How can we count them right now??

Poor wording on my part. *Would be a good start. But yea, with our luck we don't get them lol

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, aucom96 said:

That has to be priority number one. If we lean entirely on the portal or JUCO to fix the problem, we're doing just what Gus did...who brought in decently "ranked" classes on the backs of defensive backs and undersized receivers. 

Well I’ll start by stating this recruiting class definitely addressed holes. We’re losing quite a bit of contributors/depth in our secondary. 

I will agree. Our OL needs to get better, but I’d argue we’re in a spot where we need transfers on the line over freshman. If the insiders are correct, we should have 2-3 freshmen OLs in this class, with 2-3 transfers for immediate help. 

But do not mistake this class as a rankings only class. They have legitimate contributors for this class. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

1) Recruiting isn't over.  There are likely more high school O linemen coming in February + the portal.

2) He proved he can recruit the South this year.  O line is obviously a priority for next year, but the poster essentially said Harsin can't recruit down here despite the evidence that he very much can.

• Like 4

We need playmakers everywhere.

The 4-5 biggest areas we are lacking legit talent going into next year. 

OL - No fix in sight 

Edge - No fix in sight

QB - No fix in sight

DB - Juco is super hit or miss, hopefully one pans out. 

We've got a lot of work to do in the portal

• Like 1