With Gus, Did we Ever Lose 5 in a Row?

shabby

5 losses in a row. It's hard to swallow. I wonder what this season would have looked like under Gus. Not that I want Gus back or Didn't think we needed to move on. But I feel like Gus Would have got more out of this team.  I feel like this would have been a minimum 7-6 team and possible 10-3 team under Gus.  What do you think this season would have looked like if Gus was retained? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 2
  • Dislike 8

11 minutes ago, shabby said:

5 losses in a row. It's hard to swallow. I wonder what this season would have looked like under Gus. Not that I want Gus back or Didn't think we needed to move on. But I feel like Gus Would have got more out of this team.  I feel like this would have been a minimum 7-6 team and possible 10-3 team under Gus.  What do you think this season would have looked like if Gus was retained? 

That maybe as simple as scheduling and injury this year.

• Like 1

Just now, aucanucktiger said:

Gus would have run the crap out of Tank (but ONLY tank), convinced Bo to stay, never hired Bobo, had a similar ranked but utterly O lineman-less recruiting class, and I'll guess (since even he's better than Bobo) gone 7-6. Next year would have been rinse & repeat.

Gus was a good guy but a deteriorating coach. Give Harsin & co a chance.

I dont disagree. He failed to adapt offensively. There is however a disappointment in knowing the coach we fired probably would have done better with the same team. Harsin will get 3 years to turn it around im sure. But he ain't off to a great start. 

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, shabby said:

You are entitled to your opinion, but Gus is the reason this team finished as it did. And under Gus it would have lost 8 BEFORE the Bowl.  LSU would have been a loss, and most likely Ole Miss.

Gus is an absolute Empty Shirt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

We would have been at minimum 8-4 going into the bowl game-We definitely would have beaten Alabama! At least 3 of the losses were stupid in game coaching decisions. I am afraid we are in for a few Barfield years. 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 3

3 hours ago, shabby said:

Nope. Because we can clearly see if placed in this EXACT situation that he caused btw, that he wouldn't had let us lose games. 

Seriously you think Gus has some type of coaching skills that would have made us good in areas such as o line?

3 minutes ago, Dshep4au said:

We would have been at minimum 8-4 going into the bowl game-We definitely would have beaten Alabama! At least 3 of the losses were stupid in game coaching decisions. I am afraid we are in for a few Barfield years. 

So you think we beat bama why? You think the defense would be good under Gus?

Honestly, Gus probably would have won 7 or 8. And then he'd do the same thing next year, and the next and the next ...

Some of us want better than that and are willing to take the lumps and the long view. If Harsin doesn't get us over the hump, we will try someone else. Either way, I will not miss Gus. 

• Like 9

First of all- Gus was 3 of 4 against bama with less talent every year. He always had a good game plan for them and would not have been throwing the ball with the lead midway through the 4th quarter. No doubt in my mind we win that game with Gus. And yes I think our defense would have been just as good under Steele. I know that we needed a change from Gus but I think we have downgraded and we are going in the wrong direction. I just am afraid we are now on the coaching carousel!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dshep4au said:

First of all- Gus was 3 of 4 against bama with less talent every year. He always had a good game plan for them and would not have been throwing the ball with the lead midway through the 4th quarter. No doubt in my mind we win that game with Gus. And yes I think our defense would have been just as good under Steele. I know that we needed a change from Gus but I think we have downgraded and we are going in the wrong direction. I just am afraid we are now on the coaching carousel!

Exactly what some of us are saying but the Gus haters haven’t yet gotten over there jubilation that Gus was fired. (Plus they can’t admit they were wrong) Give them another year or two, some small handfuls have already come around.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, Dshep4au said:

Ummm, did you miss the 2016, 2018, and 2020 Iron Bowls?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Dshep4au said:

I am talking about games at Jordan Hare-he was 3 of 4 only losing in 2015

Oh so the games in Tuscaloosa where we rolled over without a fight don't count now?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Exactly what some of us are saying but the Gus haters haven’t yet gotten over there jubilation that Gus was fired. (Plus they can’t admit they were wrong) Give them another year or two, some small handfuls have already come around.

Honest question, don't want to argue. Are you saying people are wrong for wanting Gus fired or wrong for liking Harsin?

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Oh so the games in Tuscaloosa where we rolled over without a fight don't count now?

Just stating a fact about Gus’ record against bama at Jordan Hare. 

1 minute ago, Dshep4au said:

Just stating a fact about Gus’ record against bama at Jordan Hare. 

So being selective about Gus' record.  Cool.

No, but this streak lays at the feet of Gus and Harsin. You could tell last year we were on our way down. We lucked out in 2-3 games that we should have lost last year. We won because the ref’s calls went our way in the end… or we would have had a losing record. 
The lack of recruiting a capable backup QB and ANY OL for YEARS has damaged this program beyond imagination. Gus needed to be gone (years ago).  Now Harsin has come in and, to this point, he has been disappointing. Some of the game decisions, also the lack or trying other QBs, and now the lack of OL recruiting (again) have me worried. 
There is still time. However… If we go into next season with the same QB and no additional OL added we are in deeep trouble… Our schedule next year is brutal. 
…he better find some players in the portal over the next few weeks. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shabby said:

Agree and disagree,  we might have lost 7 in a row, but A director is responsible for not making a Pearl-type of a hire for f-ball.  

Also no Gus wouldn't have is a better record. We don't have a big play wr. Bo can't throw deep. That's half of the offense right there. O line isn't good enough for us to just dominate running the ball and that's it. That's but other half of the offense. Under Gus the tight ends aren't in the offense. We don't have the fast reverse and outside running back

Gus isn't making this offense good. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1