With Gus, Did we Ever Lose 5 in a Row?

shabby

On 12/28/2021 at 5:04 PM, aucanucktiger said:

Gus would have run the crap out of Tank (but ONLY tank), convinced Bo to stay, never hired Bobo, had a similar ranked but utterly O lineman-less recruiting class, and I'll guess (since even he's better than Bobo) gone 7-6. Next year would have been rinse & repeat.

Gus was a good guy but a deteriorating coach. Give Harsin & co a chance.

What exactly did you see that makes you think Harsin deserves another chance? Did you think he improved anything this year? Was their one part of the team that you actually could point to that was better than Gus, other than he used the TE to actually throw too? What is it that gives you hope with another year Harsin will be successful. Remember the BSU team he took over was good before he got there. I am willing to give BBC a guy a second chance if he actually shows me improvement. Harsin hasn’t done that. 

• Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

What exactly did you see that makes you think Harsin deserves another chance? Did you think he improved anything this year? Was their one part of the team that you actually could point to that was better than Gus, other than he used the TE to actually throw too? What is it that gives you hope with another year Harsin will be successful. Remember the BSU team he took over was good before he got there. I am willing to give BBC a guy a second chance if he actually shows me improvement. Harsin hasn’t done that. 

The guy that comes to clean out the septic tank isn't the one who filled it up but he is the one who goes home stinky at the end of the day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, gr82be said:

The guy that comes to clean out the septic tank isn't the one who filled it up but he is the one who goes home stinky at the end of the day.

May be an image of ‎2 people and ‎text that says '‎IT IS BETTER TO WAKE UP AND PEE ا THAN TO PEE AND WAKE UP.‎'‎‎

Edited by Proud Tiger
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Using the TE was a big deal. Fans complained about that for years under Gus.

Bo's passing stats improved compared to the last two years in every category except yards because he got injured.

Tank's numbers improved.

It was pretty obvious that if Bo doesn't get injured we win 8 or 9 games. If Gus had a decent backup in place we might still have. Harsin tried to fix that by taking Finley but Finley needed more time.

We had solid recruiting and are still getting players.

The defense improved as the year went on giving high hopes for their ability next year.

Because if we fired a coach after 1 year and thought we could get anybody else decent to come into the SEC West to compete with such absurd expectations then we would have no coach.

Because Saban went 7-6 year one, Dabo went 6-7 year three and Malzahn went 7-6 year 3. A coach needs more time to prove long term what they can do.

Just common sense stuff. 

Edited by nurbis
  • Like 6

32 minutes ago, cole256 said:

And once again people using stupid metrics like lost the last 5 games.....You don't think that maybe because we play bammer and the usually we scheduled a suck team to really use them for extra time to prepare for bammer wouldn't influence that dumb metric?

I don't understand how it's so hard for some of you to see or comprehend that we are a team that doesn't have depth. Yes we're going to breakdown at the end of the season and the second half of games. 

It's the same people though. The same people crying are the same people that offer that good riddance when a guy leaves because he was just a back up that didn't produce. Then we get here and they are like we lost games at the end of the year. Gus neverwould've let us lose...... It's the reason mason called games the way he did but same people wanting to run him out. Can't tell some of you nothing.

Try to explain stuff and then people argue you up and down about it, and when they are wrong they'll hit with the you know it all. 

It's all about agendas bro. I remember when I pointed out about some things a player said and it was against Bo or something like that so people all over me about players didn't know s***. (As absolutely stupid as that is) but this week some players said some stuff that people wanted to hear so this week it was look at this!!!

I don't care about talking football, but it's a waste of time arguing with some because it's simply an agenda. There was literally a group of people hoping we'd do bad because they love Gus so much. I'm not trying to argue with those people

Nobody is arguing that we don't have depth issues.  Even so, we had a more talented roster than several teams that we struggled with this year.  Who else lacks depth?  Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss State, South Carolina, Georgia State to name a few.  Strictly talking about Xs and Os, one thing is clear.  This staff struggles to find ways to mask deficiencies. 

The prior staff struggled with making in game adjustments.  I had hoped that this staff would be different in that regard, but I have seen little evidence of that thus far.  This staff has yet to show the ability to adjust any at all on offense, but I am willing to see how that changes moving forward with Harsin calling plays.  I have seen Mason make adjustments on defense and he should be credited for that.  But for Mason, we don't win the LSU game. 

As for some mythical agenda, there is none on my part.  However, to believe that comparisons will not be made is simply foolish.  Those comparisons are inevitable when a "school" spends and obligates itself to spend around $70 million between buyouts and new contracts and the results show that, as of today, the program is in no better shape as a result.  Can that change?  Absolutely, but poor results make the hill to climb more steep, not less.  Six wins with three of them being pay games with lesser opponents is simply not acceptable.  But for those 3 games, we would be staring at a 3 win season.  That would qualify for the 2nd worse in school history.  Harsin knows that.  He also knows that he has to do whatever it takes to make certain that isn't repeated next year.  The most bizarre thing about him is that when he wants to open up and be pleasant, he is very likable.  Unfortunately, he doesn't do that very much.

• Like 3

On 12/28/2021 at 4:53 PM, shabby said:

5 losses in a row. It's hard to swallow. I wonder what this season would have looked like under Gus. Not that I want Gus back or Didn't think we needed to move on. But I feel like Gus Would have got more out of this team.  I feel like this would have been a minimum 7-6 team and possible 10-3 team under Gus.  What do you think this season would have looked like if Gus was retained? 

Malzahn was a cancer, and if you can't see that, then nobody can help you.

• Love 1
  • Dislike 3

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

The offensive scheme was greatly improved over Gus's scheme.  We had an actual route tree and ran plays from under center.  200% upgrade.  Just need a QB and an oline and it becomes efficient.  QBs were actually getting developed as well. Nix actually showed improvement in his mechanics which led to better touch on his deep ball, as shown in the Arky game.  Further, in the first year under a new coach with new schemes on both sides of the ball the improvements will be small at first then build into bigger improvements in the 2nd year.

and lastly he kept us competitive in every game we just didn't have the depth at multiple positions to close out games. This was unlike Gus who inexplicably has one blow out loss most years where we aren't competitive at all even in the years we had a great team by Gus's standards. 

There ya go, several things that are improved over Gus, and these things have already been pointed out by many others on this board, not just me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nurbis said:

Using the TE was a big deal. Fans complained about that for years under Gus.

Bo's passing stats improved compared to the last two years in every category except yards because he got injured.

Tank's numbers improved.

It was pretty obvious that if Bo doesn't get injured we win 8 or 9 games. If Gus had a decent backup in place we might still have. Harsin tried to fix that by taking Finley but Finley needed more time.

We had solid recruiting and are still getting players.

The defense improved as the year went on giving high hopes for their ability next year.

Because if we fired a coach after 1 year and thought we could get anybody else decent to come into the SEC West to compete with such absurd expectations then we would have no coach.

Because Saban went 7-6 year one, Dabo went 6-7 year three and Malzahn went 7-6 year 3. A coach needs more time to prove long term what they can do.

Just common sense stuff. 

Venables said things were not align here and people got pissed OFF, but, go ahead and tell yourself that we have coaches knocking down our door to be Auburn next head coach,boy this fan base is something serious..

• Facepalm 2

28 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

Venables said things were not align here and people got pissed OFF, but, go ahead and tell yourself that we have coaches knocking down our door to be Auburn next head coach,boy this fan base is something serious..

I believe you misunderstood his entire post but I am not really sure because what you posted is out of left field.  No where in his post did he state or imply that "that we have coaches knocking down our door to be Auburn next head coach" so not sure where you got that.

His post actually implied the opposite to me.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Didba said:

I believe you misunderstood his entire post but I am not really sure because what you posted is out of left field.  No where in his post did he state or imply that "that we have coaches knocking down our door to be Auburn next head coach" so not sure where you got that.

This fanbase really is something serious ..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kennypowers said:

Your poor reading comprehension caused you to miss the part where I clearly stated:

" Not that I want Gus back or Didn't think we needed to move on."

whomever was your home school reading teacher should be slapped

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

This fanbase really is something serious ..

So many show they never played the game at a competitive level as a starter or coached it, when they post on here.

11 minutes ago, Didba said:

I got it, was not pointed in the direction it should have, I'm sneaking at work. I agree with him, we want something in one hand and something in another. Harsin told everybody up front, that do you want it done right which takes patience, or do you want it now. Alot of this nonsense is political.....

Just now, eaglenest said:

I got it, was not pointed in the direction it should have, I'm sneaking at work. I agree with him, we want something in one hand and something in another. Harsin told everybody up front, that do you want it done right which takes patience, or do you want it now. Alot of this nonsense is political.....

My bad, understood, I feel ya on the sneaking at work.

5 hours ago, e808 said:

Fickell and Aranda

Freeze has a lot of skeletons in his closet so pass. 

Cristobal I’m a fan of, but it’s pretty obvious he’s not much of a X’s or O’s guy. But he’ll get the talent. 

Fickell I actually know personally cause we’re members of the same club. He’s not leaving Cincinnati unless Notre Dame or tOSU. He legitimately loves Cincy. 

Aranda is in the drivers seat in the Big 12 right now. With Oklahoma and Texas leaving Baylor’s poised to a true contender every year. 

But let’s also not forget, Fickell went 6-7, 4-8 his first two years as a head coach, 1st as an interim at tOSU with plenty of talent. Aranda took a 11-3 Baylor team and went 3-7 in his first year. 

Give the man some time

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Taco said:

Freeze has a lot of skeletons in his closet so pass. 

Cristobal I’m a fan of, but it’s pretty obvious he’s not much of a X’s or O’s guy. But he’ll get the talent. 

Fickell I actually know personally cause we’re members of the same club. He’s not leaving Cincinnati unless Notre Dame or tOSU. He legitimately loves Cincy. 

Aranda is in the drivers seat in the Big 12 right now. With Oklahoma and Texas leaving Baylor’s poised to a true contender every year. 

But let’s also not forget, Fickell went 6-7, 4-8 his first two years as a head coach, 1st as an interim at tOSU with plenty of talent. Aranda took a 11-3 Baylor team and went 3-7 in his first year. 

Give the man some time

I was was responding to someone’s question of my preferences . In addition gave the reason why I thought he was over his head. Depending on who is the quarterback next year might be the difference of a 3 or 4 year waiting period. Like it was mentioned a bowl win would have stopped some of the bleeding. There have been some things done negatively this season that either hasn’t been done or done in a while at Auburn.  Not sure how much patience can be had with Texas and Oklahoma being thrown into the fold very soon.

On 12/28/2021 at 4:53 PM, shabby said:

5 losses in a row. It's hard to swallow. I wonder what this season would have looked like under Gus. Not that I want Gus back or Didn't think we needed to move on. But I feel like Gus Would have got more out of this team.  I feel like this would have been a minimum 7-6 team and possible 10-3 team under Gus.  What do you think this season would have looked like if Gus was retained? 

May be an image of 2 people and text that says 'EAGLE JT @jt_flo I'll go 6-7 with a coach that hates mediocre, and tries to improve, 100 times before I go 8-4 with a coach that' satisfied with 8-4. That's the difference. @thewarrapport AUBURN'

It's not about this season. It's about the seasons yet to come.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, e808 said:

I was was responding to someone’s question of my preferences . In addition gave the reason why I thought he was over his head. Depending on who is the quarterback next year might be the difference of a 3 or 4 year waiting period. Like it was mentioned a bowl win would have stopped some of the bleeding. There have been some things done negatively this season that either hasn’t been done or done in a while at Auburn.  Not sure how much patience can be had with Texas and Oklahoma being thrown into the fold very soon.

you scared? I'll call 911 for you.

15 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

you scared? I'll call 911 for you.

Scared of what. Let’s just stay on topic. No one is scared of anyone on a message board.

Edited by e808
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kennypowers said:

Talk about jumping the shark.......  without that "cancer", we would not have won and national title and played for another  since 1957.  It was probably time for a change in 2017, but that didn't happen.  None of that discounts the good that 2010 and 2013 brought.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

59 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Just my 2 cents.. Bruce's first 2 seasons at Auburn, he had a losing record.. Got to give Hars more than 365 days. I'm a newbie to the board BTW

Bruce inherited nothing. Harsin didn't inherit the best house on the hill, but he did inherit a house next to the best house on the hill.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Didba said:

So many show they never played the game at a competitive level as a starter or coached it, when they post on here.

You really like yourself.  That much is evident.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Bruce inherited nothing. Harsin didn't inherit the best house on the hill, but he did inherit a house next to the best house on the hill.

So you believe Hars inherited the 2nd most talent in the SEC behind only Bama.   If so, call me about some oceanfront property in Arizona that I am selling.   I'll throw the Golden Gate in for free. 

• Like 1