Wesley Steiner Grandmother GoFundMe

Randman5000

I hope the family gets good advice as to who needs to be paid and who doesn't.   Medical expenses should be the last thing they worry about right now.  Prayers for them.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Give something if you can. A college kid should not have to be dealing with something like this.  😢

No American should have to crowdsource their healthcare.

But I'll be donating. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

If anyone is curious what kind of family you'd be supporting, I highly recommend that you watch this. 

If anyone hasn't watched this, I highly recommend that you watch this. I remain grateful to Gus Malzahn for bringing men like Steiner to Auburn. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If anyone is curious what kind of family you'd be supporting, I highly recommend that you watch this. 

If anyone hasn't watched this, I highly recommend that you watch this. I remain grateful to Gus Malzahn for bringing men like Steiner to Auburn. 

Thanks for sharing this, Loof. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

It's up to 68,000+. What's up with the tip though?

They explain the tip on the site. It's optional. It's a free service and, like this website or any website, it costs money to run. So they depend on donations for operating expenses.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

They explain the tip on the site. It's optional. It's a free service and, like this website or any website, it costs money to run. So they depend on donations for operating expenses.

It’s actually not optional, they take some off of the top (on mine it was 3% I think). I did one for a very good friend that became very ill with COVID, mainly for his family- did not expect him to survive (ECMO for a month) but he did. That was my experience at least.

• Like 2

So glad he survived.

I can imagine those tips can be a big deal with some donations but I am not in a position to donate that kind of money. However, whenever I do it, there is an option to drop it down to 0%. 3% is just the default.

But are you saying that if I donate $25 with a 0% tip, the recipient is still receiving less than $25?

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So glad he survived.

I can imagine those tips can be a big deal with some donations but I am not in a position to donate that kind of money. However, whenever I do it, there is an option to drop it down to 0%. 3% is just the default.

But are you saying that if I donate $25 with a 0% tip, the recipient is still receiving less than $25?

Yes. You link the GoFundMe to a bank account and it gets auto-deposited electronically. What transferred was 3% less that the donation amount. So, if you want to “give” X you have to donate X+3% so that the full X goes to the recipient 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

As for Steiner, I trust that there is some lump sum assistance being provided that we are not aware of. 

This is where the NIL can do real good to avoid the arcane and ridiculous NCAA rules. And we shouldn’t even have to keep it down home cuz

• Love 1

1 minute ago, fredst said:

Yes. You link the GoFundMe to a bank account and it gets auto-deposited electronically. What transferred was 3% less that the donation amount. So, if you want to “give” X you have to donate X+3% so that the full X goes to the recipient 

Yikes. That makes the verbiage on the site seem a little misleading. I need to read it again.

But there is a zero tip option.

1 minute ago, fredst said:

This is where the NIL can do real good to avoid the arcane and ridiculous NCAA rules. And we shouldn’t even have to keep it down home cuz

I almost went on to say same. But everyone is beyond tired of my opinions on nil and other player friendly rule changes lol.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Yikes. That makes the verbiage on the site seem a little misleading. I need to read it again.

But there is a zero tip option.

I was a little miffed when I realized what was going on but it gave me a known platform to reach out to people that I couldn’t or wouldn’t have otherwise. And, because it was a known “ thing”, people I think felt more comfortable giving without the thought that I was going to use the money on a fly fishing trip lol. Ultimately I think the 3% was reasonable and, as stated, it’s a business (that is generally doing good) and not a non-profit. Definitely would be better ways to raise money if it was a more long-term, recurring need

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 11:28 PM, AU9377 said:

I hope the family gets good advice as to who needs to be paid and who doesn't.   Medical expenses should be the last thing they worry about right now.  Prayers for them.

Excellent point. Self pay patients are always billed the highest amount of a providers fee schedule. Charges are negotiable.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just got the GoFundMe thank you email from Wesley. 

You are beyond blessed for answering the call that reached your heart in my time of need. You are blessed. You are blessed. You are blessed. I am grateful to you that you reached out to help me and my family. I am thankful for you. I am thankful for your kindness. I am thankful for your compassion. It hasn't been easy for me, my grandmother, my siblings at all, just like another death in a family would cause. I remind myself that life is a good thing. I look at what you did for us, and I find strength and courage that you were there for us. You were supporting us, especially me. I am grateful beyond words to express how that feels. My grandmother is shocked every time I remind her how much people felt lead to help us and she breaks down knowing that people still care about her as well. I can not say it enough times how thankful I am for you supporting us. Continue to be a light during hard times. Never forget we are all human and are in need of support and compassion. Never forget that you have changed my families life in an impactful way. For that, I am forever grateful to you being there for us. God Bless You and your family all the days of your life.