How soft and fragile are we as a society? Kids, Covid & Parents

AU9377

First, I will get this out of the way.  Mental health is a real concern.  Nothing that I say should be construed as my discounting the need to respect issues surrounding the mental health of anyone. That said, I do feel the need to vent somewhat when it comes to the constant whining and searching for someone to blame by parents when it comes to the socialization of children and their stress related to their being out of the classroom for varying periods of time in 2020 and 2021.

https://scitechdaily.com/babies-born-during-covid-19-pandemic-score-lower-on-a-developmental-screening-test/

https://www.wickedlocal.com/story/news/2021/12/13/covid-pandemic-mental-health-children-kids-back-school-problems-persist-anxiety-stress-depression/6416286001/

The socialization of children.  One thing is very clear.  Too many parents depend on the school system to provide their children with opportunities to socialize and learn. Not that long ago, most children were involved in group activities that did not include the public school system.  Churches played a large role.  Many that were far from being evangelical hard liners recognized the benefits that being involved socially provided their children.  There are also other types of community organizations that are available.  Neither cost money, but they do require effort on the part of the parents.

Motor skills of newborns.  If isolation or quarantines caused this much of a drop in development, can you imagine the drop in development caused between 1940 and 1945?  What would happen if we were rationing gas and essentials like flour and sugar?  I'm not sure that our society could withstand an internet outage, much less a really detrimental event.

Just my venting, but at some point I wonder if we haven't become so soft and incapable of dealing with any sort of hardship, that we would be able to withstand a truly detrimental event.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

16 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

First, I will get this out of the way.  Mental health is a real concern.  Nothing that I say should be construed as my discounting the need to respect issues surrounding the mental health of anyone. That said, I do feel the need to vent somewhat when it comes to the constant whining and searching for someone to blame by parents when it comes to the socialization of children and their stress related to their being out of the classroom for varying periods of time in 2020 and 2021.

https://scitechdaily.com/babies-born-during-covid-19-pandemic-score-lower-on-a-developmental-screening-test/

https://www.wickedlocal.com/story/news/2021/12/13/covid-pandemic-mental-health-children-kids-back-school-problems-persist-anxiety-stress-depression/6416286001/

The socialization of children.  One thing is very clear.  Too many parents depend on the school system to provide their children with opportunities to socialize and learn. Not that long ago, most children were involved in group activities that did not include the public school system.  Churches played a large role.  Many that were far from being evangelical hard liners recognized the benefits that being involved socially provided their children.  There are also other types of community organizations that are available.  Neither cost money, but they do require effort on the part of the parents.

Motor skills of newborns.  If isolation or quarantines caused this much of a drop in development, can you imagine the drop in development caused between 1940 and 1945?  What would happen if we were rationing gas and essentials like flour and sugar?  I'm not sure that our society could withstand an internet outage, much less a really detrimental event.

Just my venting, but at some point I wonder if we haven't become so soft and incapable of dealing with any sort of hardship, that we would be able to withstand a truly detrimental event.

We haven’t exactly agreed on much, but I’m totally with you on this. 

33 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

We haven’t exactly agreed on much, but I’m totally with you on this. 

We probably agree on much more than don't.  I think we are all guilty of being louder about the things we don't agree about and too often overlook the other.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Welp, you nailed one. Cred where cred is due.

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

Good post 9377, when parents abdicate their responsibility to raise their own kids to someone else it usually doesn’t turn out well.  The socialization issue has been been brought to the forefront because of COVID.

• Dislike 1

27 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Good post 9377, when parents abdicate their responsibility to raise their own kids to someone else it usually doesn’t turn out well.  The socialization issue has been been brought to the forefront because of COVID.

My wife was a teacher but now works in the counselor's office at the same JH she taught at and she said that the number of issues they have had with kids is insane. She was telling me about one kid in 8th grade who's last name is Berger (I think) and he came to the counselor's office crying and got his mom up there because some of the kids were calling him Burger or Hamburger. Keep in mind this kid apparently says worse things to other kids. 

My thought was, Hamburger isn't even that bad of a name...I would have just owned it and made it my nickname. It either would have stuck or the kids would have quit saying it. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1