Glad We Already Played Kentucky

BHDAU1

I gotta say after watching them destroy Kansas today Im glad we already played UK for our regular season tilt.  They looked pretty damn good today, nearly unstoppable against a Kansas team that I admit I have not watched prior to today, but Kansas is widely considered one of the top seeds in the NCAA Tourney? Getting beat by what should have been more than 20 points at their own house?  wow.  On another note, Alabama is sure going to come to The Jungle feeling pretty good about themselves come Tuesday.  Hopefully Auburn's defense can smack them back down to the team that lost against UGA and not let them get that maximum effort performance that got them the win over Baylor.   I sure would love to see Auburn go undefeated thru the rest of the SEC regular season but there are some REALLY GOOD teams in the SEC.  None of the announcers I have heard are giving us much of a chance to run the table the rest of the way, but to be honest none of them would have bet $1 Auburn would be siting where they are now!  It sure going to be one hell of a ride from here on out, whatever happens.   

• Like 3

Just need to keep getting better. Understanding what defenses are trying to do to us, then adjusting and responding. We do that, in game, and this team is unstoppable.(oh...and do shoot an abysmal 30% too). This team is getting better, it will show itself soon.

Edited by dmbseeker00
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

The announcers today at the KU/UK game were blaming UK's loss to Auburn on the fact that they had an injured player.....but they've also lost 3 other games. What's the excuse for those losses?

Very tired of the disrespect. 

Hopefully we meet in the tournament at full health and bury them. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Any team can get extremely hot for a game. This is why I would much rather have a regular season conference title than a tourney.

Kentucky got super hot against TN and Kansas but Mississippi State took them to OT at HOME. They're not invincible and I hope we meet up again and we destroy them. So tired of hearing their fans, coaches, and players whine.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

The announcers today at the KU/UK game were blaming UK's loss to Auburn on the fact that they had an injured player.....but they've also lost 3 other games. What's the excuse for those losses?

It’s Auburn. Everyone thinks this is a fluke. It will be until we win it all. 

• Like 2

Ah, I'm sorry we don't get to go to Kentucky and hand them an L at home, and laugh about what Calipari has to say about that.  This is all about the big dance now, and tough away games are just preparation.

Edited by Cardin Drake
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Tyty Washington had 2 points against  Kansas so the statline says. He was the main one injured against us right? I'm failing to see how that discounts our win. F Kentucky and the lazy announcers. 

Edited by twilli13
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, woodford said:

It’s Auburn. Everyone thinks this is a fluke. It will be until we win it all. 

This.

I watched LSU play the game before we played them. I think they were still undefeated. They looked GREAT. I didn't see how we could beat them. We wore them out, and this was when they still had Xavier Pinson. UK dominated KU one week after we beat them by 9 (and we didn't even seem to play very well.  UAT looked unstoppable vs Baylor and we beat them on the road and by the end of the game made it look easy. 

It is Auburn that makes these seemingly good teams look bad. Our defense and depth are just that good. Sure, we will lose some games in the next month, but it won't be to a better team, just to one that got hot while we had an off night. Even Kentucky is no match for us on a normal night. I sure hope we play them again. If we could play them in the SEC tourney it would be just what we need going into the Big Dance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kentucky was beating people handily before playing us as well.  All about matchups and game plan.  We executed when we needed to. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, twilli13 said:

Tyty Washington had 2 points against  Kansas so the statline says. He was the main one injured against us right? I'm failing to see how that discounts our win. F Kentucky and the lazy announcers. 

exactly. And in our game he had only 4 in almost a half of play.

Granted we would be saying the same thing if we lost....but it doesn't work to say you would have won a game just bc a player got hurt. 

p.s. ofc, they had like 3 players go down from great body screens,,,they had more headaches that injuries.. :)

Wheeler just needs to learn to avoid them.  He ran into a Kansas screen hard as well.  Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Although I think we will beat Kentucky should we face them again on a neutral court, I'm worried about them.

• They were very competitive against us on our home court, even after injuries to some of their important players.
  • They were absolutely NOT intimidated by us or The Jungle.
  • Much of our success came from Kessler's wide open dunk lobs.  UK will be ready for that next time.  Oscar won't leave Kessler near as much to help out on the perimeter defensively.
  • Immediately after the game, they openly talked about hoping to play us again when healthy on a neutral court, and openly stated they think they are better than us.  They are supremely confident, especially after destroying Kansas yesterday on the road, with TyTy only scoring 2 points.
  • They are immensely talented.  Their starting 5 is very good (but we have the clear advantage in depth).

That makes for a tough rematch should it occur.

BP will have the players ready, but hopefully not so pumped that they play out of control at the beginning of the game like they did at home against UK.

Rematch, if it occurs: AU 94, UK 93, double OT.

Edited by MaxCohen216
Spelling

1 hour ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Although I think we will beat Kentucky should we face them again on a neutral court, I'm worried about them.

• They were very competitive against us on our home court, even after injuries to some of their important players.
  • They were absolutely NOT intimidated by us or The Jungle.
  • Much of our success came from Kessler's wide open dunk lobs.  UK will be ready for that next time.  Oscar won't leave Kessler near as much to help out on the perimeter defensively.
  • Immediately after the game, they openly talked about hoping to play us again when healthy on a neutral court, and openly stated they think they are better than us.  They are supremely confident, especially after destroying Kansas yesterday on the road, with TyTy only scoring 2 points.
  • They are immensely talented.  Their starting 5 is very good (but we have the clear advantage in depth).

That makes for a tough rematch should it occur.

BP will have the players ready, but hopefully not so pumped that they play out of control at the beginning of the game like they did at home against UK.

Rematch, if it occurs: AU 94, UK 93, double OT.

All very true. However I think our home court had sort of the reverse effect on us at the beginning of that game. We looked way too jacked up and were careless with the ball. If Bruce can get us more consistently well oiled on offense, we can actually play much better against them the next time we meet. Now I expect them to play better too. But my point is it works both ways. 

The turnovers that game were sort of a microcosm for a larger issue we've had this year offensively. We go in spurts where it looks like we are gonna blow the doors off the other team then inexplicably seem to go into an offensive mini slump with careless turnovers, lack of ball movement, etc. Then we somehow come out of it almost every game. If we can keep the gas on all game from an offensive execution standpoint, theres actually another gear we have. I hope we get there. 

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Glad We Already Played Kentucky

Well Cryin' Cal told the lady interviewer yesterday, when asked about the Kansas beatdown, that KY had played better on the road this year than at home, that he couldn't explain it.....so I guess we got their best shot.  Plus as stated earlier we were way too pumped to start the game.

1 minute ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Well Cryin' Cal told the lady interviewer yesterday, when asked about the Kansas beatdown, that KY had played better on the road this year than at home, that he couldn't explain it.....so I guess we got their best shot.  Plus as stated earlier we were way too pumped to start the game.

We were definitely way too pumped to start that game.  Especially Wendell Green.  We'll learn from that and be more ready for the moment next time, I think.

One thing I believe to be true - CBP seems to always have a very good gameplan.  The man has never made an excuse that I have heard...KY definitely owes us payback for the SEC tourney a couple of yrs ago  and  in the NCAA tourney.  

• Like 1

Calipari with the injury excuse is pathetic. All teams have injuries. The better teams will have the depth to account for that so he is admitting they don't. We had Flanigan out with an injury for half the season. Kessler got in foul trouble early at bama, Pearl adjusted and we still won. Better teams have depth, other teams don't. 

• Love 1

NOT (not) saying they would’ve cooked us with a healthy Wendell, because I don’t think that would’ve happened. 

But their minutes with all of those guys healthy since SEC play have been insane. Outside of the A&M game, they have to have a ridiculously positive margin, I’d think. I spoke to it elsewhere, and I think just about any supremely athletic team out of the top 10 would do KU like that, but still an incredible win 

On 1/30/2022 at 2:50 AM, Tigerbelle said:

It will be interesting to see how many Kansas-based sports writers with an AP vote (cough cough) carry a vendetta against Ky like they do against Auburn, for punking Jayhawks. Guessing...zero.

Guys and gals please give this team ultimate credit. Kentucky needs to be glad they only have to play Auburn once. Kentucky was playing well before playing Auburn. Kentucky played well after playing Auburn. Bama just beat the defending national champion Saturday and Auburn hung 100 on them. That is with 5 players in double figure scoring. Five.

Edited by Chaotic_zx
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, Chaotic_zx said:

Guys and gals please give this team ultimate credit. Kentucky needs to be glad they only have to play Auburn once. Kentucky was playing well before playing Auburn. Kentucky played well after playing Auburn. Bama just beat the defending national champion Saturday and Auburn hung 100 on them. That is with 5 players in double figure scoring. Five.

This team is legit!!  Enjoy the ride fam!!

Kentucky is a good team but Auburn is a deeper team and because of that a better team. After blowing out bama that just beat Baylor we showed some of what we are capable of but we still have not played our best game from tip-off to end. Kentucky will play bama Saturday and we will play Georgia for one of the few times ever I want bama to beat Kentucky as I would prefer Kentucky have at least 2 losses in the SEC. Right now we could have one loss but I think we would still win SEC because of head to head matchup but I would prefer a little breathing room as we have some tough games let against Arky, Fla, and  Tenn.

Any away game in the SEC is dangerous.

11 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Kentucky is a good team but Auburn is a deeper team and because of that a better team. After blowing out bama that just beat Baylor we showed some of what we are capable of but we still have not played our best game from tip-off to end. Kentucky will play bama Saturday and we will play Georgia for one of the few times ever I want bama to beat Kentucky as I would prefer Kentucky have at least 2 losses in the SEC. Right now we could have one loss but I think we would still win SEC because of head to head matchup but I would prefer a little breathing room as we have some tough games let against Arky, Fla, and  Tenn.

Any away game in the SEC is dangerous.

UK has two losses. It would help us greatly for UAT to beat UK this weekend. I am pretty sure that head-to-head match-up does not matter for basketball. If we have the same record then I think we would share the regular season championship.