2023 Men's Recruiting Thread

Dunndone414

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

@ellitorUnless I'm losing my mind here, every senior on this roster (not Zep who's listed as a grad transfer) has the extra covid year remaining, right? 

@Dual-Threat Rigby Yes but all 4 are expected to move on plus 2 or 3 more per noted insider autigers07.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

@Dual-Threat Rigby Yes but all 4 are expected to move on plus 2 or 3 more per noted insider autigers07.

I guess they are planning to go heavy in the portal to fill those spots? Never have understood how we ended up with one HS recruit in 23 class with so many leaving. 

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

I guess they are planning to go heavy in the portal to fill those spots? Never have understood how we ended up with one HS recruit in 23 class with so many leaving. 

@gravejd For a long time we didn't expect many to leave.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

@gravejd For a long time we didn't expect many to leave.

This matched with a few things I have said about Pearl and recruiting.  When 3 players said they were committed in the 2024 class. I said Pearl had his mojo back and somebody said I didn't know he had lost his mojo. That person was right but things have happened over last few years that affected our team. A change in how G-League paid money so we lost some players who looked like Auburn had a solid shot at. Thor really needed another year or two before going to NBA but family finances forced him to leave to soon. Sharife Cooper because of stature and only an adequate 3 point shot should have stayed another year or two even though he is a great college PG. Powell takes bad advice and leaves. Flan gets hurt and so far has not gotten back to level he was before injury. Now we have no guards but a couple of great big men coming in Jabari and Kessler.  He is forced to go to Portal late and comes up with Jasper and Greene the word is he promised not to bring in Point guards next year so they would commit. In last years class he brings in Donaldson a project PG who may become very good, Westry the big SG we need with some PG skills, Traore raw talent but not developed and Broome. Broome and Traore were to fill slot that we lose with Jabari and Kessler plus we had Williams coming back.   

Turns out Traore is rawer then expected but has some skills in a year or two could be really good. Westry has all we need at SG but gets hurt early so didn't get to help us and Donaldson is the project we expected but has had some moments. Now as Ellitor said Pearl thought more players were returning so did not push as hard in 2023 class even though we did get a really good PG. With a weak 2023 HS recruiting class because only a single player not that that player is weak we will have to hit the portal. We will have Broome and Cardwell returning at Center so ok there. Only Traore at PF if he develops between now and next year could be really good or might need another year to reach potential which is high. So we will need a solid PF who could be a starter or solid backup. We will only have Westry at SG so need a very good SG out of Portal again possible starter or backup and need SG height and solid outside shot.  PG with Holloway coming in and Donaldson returning we are weak on experienced SEC type PG. If Greene comes back we should be better at PG next year then we are this year. If Greene does not come back we need a strong Portal PG. Flan and Moore gone so we will have no SF's next year. So we need two one a starter and the other a solid backup and one has to be a lights out shooter from 3. 

So we need at least one PF, one SG, 2 SF's and possibly one PG from Portal but that is a minimum as we may lose more that 5 players.  

• Thanks 1

Are you sure about Moore leaving? He's a Junior but I guess he could transfer, maybe Memphis or an Arkansas school. I guess we could have a new team again. I'm sure Bruce has a plan.

3 hours ago, autan said:

Are you sure about Moore leaving? He's a Junior but I guess he could transfer, maybe Memphis or an Arkansas school. I guess we could have a new team again. I'm sure Bruce has a plan.

For some reason I thought Moore was a Senior so I am not sure about Moore. Since a junior and was looking solid before he got hurt I hope he returns.

Williams - SR

Jasper - Grad Student

Flan - Sr

Stretch - SR 

We currently have 12 scholarship players as we took a loss to meet penalty for Person's issue. you are allowed 13. Assuming these 4 all leave plus the 13th Scholarship we have 5 available and only have one commitment.

I am assuming Broome who will be a Junior next year and Cardwell who will be a senior next year will return. Green will be a Senior next year and I hope he returns as with right people with him he is an asset. KD will be a Senior I am hoping he will be processed. I like his energy but he to often he  is incontrollable. Moore is  Junior I hope he comes back. Berman is not on scholarship but will graduate I am assuming he is gone unless he becomes a Grad assistant and helps coach if he is thinking about coaching. I expect Traore to be back and hopefully stronger more confident and better over all. I expect Westry to return who Pearl thinks can become a star. I expect Donaldson to be back and also improved.

I believe technically Flan, Stretch, Williams and maybe Jasper have a covid year bit I don't expect them to return.   

E mentioned some people think with people leaving we could have 7-8 new players. I think it will be 6. The 4 senior/graduate ones, the 13th scholarship, and KD being processed. To get to 7 we would need to lose one more player.  If we lose one more player I think it would probably after we see who staff has found in Portal and would only leave because player is worried about PT.

This is my opinion only I have no inside knowledge.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like CBP will definitely have some catching up to do in a short time. Looking forward to a resurgence of sorts from new players. Alabama sure changed their mojo in just one year.

On 2/13/2023 at 11:32 AM, autan said:

@autan I only said he may leave, not that he would. Obviuosly doesn't have to be a SR to leave.

Sounding like we can effectively write off next year…but the year after may be fun. Guessing we’re currently paying the price for our early NIL troubles?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, AUwent said:

Sounding like we can effectively write off next year…but the year after may be fun. Guessing we’re currently paying the price for our early NIL troubles?

@AUwent What in the Sam Hill are you talking about? If we lose some players we'll get some good ones in the portal. We're not writing of next year.

Also we only took 1 from high school in this class because for a long time the staff didn't expect anyone to leave. Us having 1 high school recruit in this class has little to do with NIL.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

@AUwent What in the Sam Hill are you talking about? If we lose some players we'll get some good ones in the portal. We're not writing of next year.

Also we only took 1 from high school in this class because for a long time the staff didn't expect anyone to leave. Us having 1 high school recruit in this class has little to do with NIL.

I don't understand what he stands to gain out of pushing that NIL narrative still. Now he's acknowledging we don't have the NIL problem, but is seemingly still complaining about it?? 

On 2/22/2023 at 1:16 PM, ellitor said:

Eeyore being Eeyore

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2023 at 12:45 AM, arein0 said:

I think some of this is the quality of the shot selection. My only criticism of Bruce is that we dont really run an offense. If you notice, if we aren't getting stops on defense, we are having a hard time scoring. 

We clearly run a flex offense. The cuts and screens are obvious. Now, they do their cuts and screens in a half-ass manner which allows defenses to easily predict where their player is going. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zeroforwinger said:

We clearly run a flex offense. The cuts and screens are obvious. Now, they do their cuts and screens in a half-ass manner which allows defenses to easily predict where their player is going. 

So not really an offense. You can say you have a system, but if the players dont execute it, can you really say you run that system?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arein0 said:

So not really an offense. You can say you have a system, but if the players don't execute it, can you really say you run that system?

Yes. If I run a veer offense in football, or a power I , and the best players on the team don't block or run the correct gaps, I still run a veer or power I offense. 

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

Yes. If I run a veer offense in football, or a power I , and the best players on the team don't block or run the correct gaps, I still run a veer or power I offense. 

Okay fine, you win. We obviously run a flex offense. This still doesnt change the fact that we are continuously struggling to score when we aren't in transition. By the way, what some people refer to as "no offense" is when their team coninuously struggles to score.

5 hours ago, arein0 said:

Okay fine, you win. We obviously run a flex offense. This still doesnt change the fact that we are continuously struggling to score when we aren't in transition. By the way, what some people refer to as "no offense" is when their team coninuously struggles to score.

Well. If some people refer to our total lapses in making a shot, or even getting a shot off without turning it over, I would agree with them.

War Eagle and keep the faith. 

But I wouldn't bet on us this year.....😆

19 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

But I wouldn't bet on us this year.....😆

I bet we give it a go in the NIT

On 2/28/2023 at 4:14 PM, arein0 said:

It's the hero ball I hate.  

If you run the O and get a decent look and miss, at least you followed some sort of game plan.  

But dribble around for 5-10 seconds and throw up a prayer while everyone stands around is not an Offense.

It is a derivative of the Dribble Drive O which I detest. Without the drive part.

• Like 2

Not gonna argue there. AU can have great success on the inside with Williams and Broome and totally go away from what's working when it counts. 

On 2/22/2023 at 2:16 PM, ellitor said:

Ok. So focused on FB recruiting that it's easy to forget the transfers don't happen yet.

Pearl has *fully* earned the right to stay for life if he so desires. But he needs to go absolute ham in the TP this offseason.

Edited by AUwent

On 3/1/2023 at 8:55 PM, AUwent said:

Ok. So focused on FB recruiting that it's easy to forget the transfers don't happen yet.

Pearl has *fully* earned the right to stay for life if he so desires. But he needs to go absolute ham in the TP this offseason.

I would not mind CBP finding some sharpshooters and ballhawks in the portal.

On 2/27/2023 at 6:07 AM, AUDevil said:

Do inter conference transfers have to sit a year?  Wondering about guys like Brakefield at Ole Miss now that Kermit’s fired.

@AUDevil I believe so but not sure on the deadline date. Almost positive it's later than the Feb 1 date for football.