2023 Men's Recruiting Thread

Dunndone414

On 4/11/2023 at 8:25 AM, AUBwins said:

I know it's a longshot, but doesn't Mackenzie sound like a perfect 4 for Bruce's system....with a similar skillset to Jabari. If Jaylin leaves there is a huge hole that would allow for immediate playing time. If Jaylin stays then your front court rotation is set. I'm just guessing he'll look for a place where he has a great chance to start right away. 

What's the moonshot?.... Add Cleveland at the 3 and another shooter as transfers and boom, that's an incredible team assuming we can add/retain additional depth as needed. 

Here's Mackenzie's scouting report from 247. 

His shot-making from behind the arc is his best asset. He can also make the types of shots that translate to the next level - pick-and-pop threes, slipping out of ball screens to make shots on the move, or creating space with a series of side-step or step-back shots. The mid-post has long been a staple of his individual offense, but now he’s getting some easy points by moving without the ball more freely. Physically, Mgbako appears to be in the best shape of his career to date and was also productive enough on the glass to hold his own at the four. His swing skills are his defensive versatility and shot-creation abilities, both of which are rooted in his mobility, footspeed, and ability to play low to the ground when necessary. If those two areas develop, both his versatility and overall projection will go to new levels.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, HAPvsOA said:

I know it's a longshot, but doesn't Mackenzie sound like a perfect 4 for Bruce's system....with a similar skillset to Jabari. If Jaylin leaves there is a huge hole that would allow for immediate playing time. If Jaylin stays then your front court rotation is set. I'm just guessing he'll look for a place where he has a great chance to start right away. 

What's the moonshot?.... Add Cleveland at the 3 and another shooter as transfers and boom, that's an incredible team assuming we can add/retain additional depth as needed. 

Here's Mackenzie's scouting report from 247. 

His shot-making from behind the arc is his best asset. He can also make the types of shots that translate to the next level - pick-and-pop threes, slipping out of ball screens to make shots on the move, or creating space with a series of side-step or step-back shots. The mid-post has long been a staple of his individual offense, but now he’s getting some easy points by moving without the ball more freely. Physically, Mgbako appears to be in the best shape of his career to date and was also productive enough on the glass to hold his own at the four. His swing skills are his defensive versatility and shot-creation abilities, both of which are rooted in his mobility, footspeed, and ability to play low to the ground when necessary. If those two areas develop, both his versatility and overall projection will go to new levels.

Exactly! That's why I begged the question. He would need to be a starter to get him.  Any top 30 guy will need to be nowadays or you wasted him. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Exactly! That's why I begged the question. He would need to be a starter to get him.  Any top 30 guy will need to be nowadays or you wasted him. 

I'm sure CBP is doing what he can to get a visit. His pitch with Jabari, Chuma, and Okoro getting drafted as high as they did is obvious. Hopefully being an Under Armor school doesn't hurt us with this one. But NIL is probably more important these days. 

Here's an article on Mackenzie's fit with AU for those flush and looking for a basketball related NIL venture. 

https://www.si.com/college/auburn/basketball/auburn-basketball-class-of-2023-mackenzie-mgbako-duke

• ellitor unpinned this topic

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1

I don't see an offer from Tech, but if Corey did have an existing eval on him and likes his game, I think you gotta trust your hire's ability and let him cook. 

He only has two hudl vids from this year, and they're just not that deep in terms of content, but I see that his school gave him some pretty consistent freedom to push the ball after rebounds and he seemed to be the de facto center for his HS too and worked around the rim alot. I don't even know what to project him as with so little tape, but he should be physically stout after a redshirt year and another 20is hpounds of muscle (which our program seems to be able to consistently achieve after our players' first year). 

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/vdIDBAYxOEG00TIWG7_GMg/texas-high-school-boys-basketball-statewide-statistical-leaders.htm - top 21 in PPG/top 5 in rebs/34th in BPG 

https://news.scorebooklive.com/texas/2023/04/11/vote-now-who-is-the-best-power-forward-in-north-texas-high-school-boys-basketball-in-2022-23

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/dfwvarsity/article268114732.html

https://news.scorebooklive.com/texas/2023/03/17/texas-private-schools-tapps-high-school-boys-basketball-player-of-the-year-candidates-for-2022-23

A few regional player ranking-type articles that seem to think of him as one of the better options for his position or area. Probably would mean more to someone from the DFW area than I, but I'm pretty sure it's a massive area and should have some good ballers 

We need some help at PF.  We have scholarships available and at this time don't seem to have any great options at PF in the Portal. If Coach Williams has seen him and likes him this could be a good pickup. I am just not sure if this is more to help this year with depth or as a development player for following years.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We need some help at PF.  We have scholarships available and at this time don't seem to have any great options at PF in the Portal. If Coach Williams has seen him and likes him this could be a good pickup. I am just not sure if this is more to help this year with depth or as a development player for following years.

It’s hard to imagine a little heralded player adds much in the way of meaningful depth this year. The kid may end up being a solid contributor, but hard to see this as anything other than we aren’t in the running for enough proven transfers. Why didn’t he have a Tech offer?

• Like 1

It would be better than having to play a walk-on, and he might not be grumbling about PT that he is likely to only get in garbage time or injuries/disqualifications.

I am ok with taking a flyer on this guy, as I expect Chaney Johnson to be the backup as a stretch 4.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

It’s hard to imagine a little heralded player adds much in the way of meaningful depth this year. The kid may end up being a solid contributor, but hard to see this as anything other than we aren’t in the running for enough proven transfers. Why didn’t he have a Tech offer?

It's no way to know at what point Corey was evaluating the guy. Could've just started following him when he was already one foot out the door. 

Not to mention, Texas Tech had a coach get fired in March and everyone, including Corey who was busy as the interim from that point, was looking for a way out. Maybe Corey would've offered him if he actually thought that he himself would be there. Who knows?

51 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It's no way to know at what point Corey was evaluating the guy. Could've just started following him when he was already one foot out the door. 

Not to mention, Texas Tech had a coach get fired in March and everyone, including Corey who was busy as the interim from that point, was looking for a way out. Maybe Corey would've offered him if he actually thought that he himself would be there. Who knows?

Perhaps. But that’s extremely late in the process. We are now post-extremely late. I’m okay with it. Hoping for the best. I’d give Berman one, too.

Sounds like a late bloomer. Not many 175 lb PFs. But why not? We need shooters.

2 hours ago, TIGERINATLANTA said:

It would be better than having to play a walk-on, and he might not be grumbling about PT that he is likely to only get in garbage time or injuries/disqualifications.

I am ok with taking a flyer on this guy, as I expect Chaney Johnson to be the backup as a stretch 4.

This is the kind of player that could be happy to help our rotation guys get better in practice next season and stick around for four years as a contributor. If he doesn’t pan out he’ll move on. No harm in taking a guy like this imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Perhaps. But that’s extremely late in the process. We are now post-extremely late. I’m okay with it. Hoping for the best. I’d give Berman one, too.

Gauging from the increasingly smaller list of names we've heard from over the last few weeks, I think we're closer to the point where this scholarship may go to no one if it doesn't go to someone like this, honestly. 

We'll see how the quality of these guys pan out, but in terms of quantity, I think we missed the intended target by a bit 

• Like 1

This is it. I guess it’s news about a potential visit now so I reposted. I had it in the wrong thread 

@ellitor

Edited by toddc

When I initially hear about Mitchell Holmes getting an offer. Like most I went to 247 to look him up. He was originally listed at 6'8: 175 pounds. I thought he must be a project type player that we are looking to help us down the road. It also made me wonder  how he could be projected as a 4 or a 5 but I see he has grown and supposedly is now 6'11" and 200 pounds and has graded  well in Eybil tournament. SMU has also offered him He just might be a solid 4 backup type player if he selects Auburn. In the future he will still need to add weight and muscle if he is going to play inside.

• Thanks 1

Nice find AuburnNTexas on Mitchell's growth. Recruiting him does make a lot more sense now, although I wish we would get an experienced reserve big man from the portal.