Men vs UGA Game Thread

Maverick.AU

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Hmmmm the guards not handling the ball well besides when they attack the basket and they aren't sharing the ball? Not creating shots for others being to focused on scoring? Just a little concerned about our guard play? 

Wow that's crazy......

Man, Jabari was open on the skip pass to the weak side all night and they maybe noticed 2 times.

• Like 2

I don’t recall seeing our bigs post up much today. Bruce mentioned it. The guards and bigs also did a poor job executing ball screen action as well. That’s why there was so much ‘hero’ ball.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

I’m a little worried because we don’t play well on the road.  Two of the worst teams in the conference and we almost lost at their place.  
We hoped that Mizzou would be a wake up game for us, but apparently it wasn’t.

The only undefeated team on the road in the country…. But I get your point.

• Like 1

While we struggled on the road today against the worst team in the SEC, Kentucky went on the road and thoroughly beat Alabama, and controlled the game from the 10 minute mark in the first half.  And Oscar missed several wide open dunks and other shots he doesn't usually miss.

I worry about them.  We may play them two more times this year.

1 minute ago, slyinsocal said:

I don’t recall seeing our bigs post up much today. Bruce mentioned it. The guards and bigs also did a poor job executing ball screen action as well. That’s why there was so much ‘hero’ ball.

Georgia was collapsing the strong side defense and forming a wall all night. Guards were dribbling right into it and were stonewalled all night 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

UGA still has a good team despite their record.  They did upset bama so, it shouldn't be a surprise that they took AU to the wall.  Btw, love your picture of KD -- that kid is a combination of the Energizer Bunny & Tasmanian Devil!  

I love his intensity. Your description is apt.

A lot more hero ball today than all season long. No reason why Jabari only takes 7 shots. I put some onus on Bruce and Co. to run more stuff for Jabari to let him create for himself or others. Our guards felt like they had to carry the load today and that shouldn't be the case. Our shot selection in the second half was poor and it led to GA leaking out to create 2 on 1's on offense to get easy buckets.

Bruce emphasized how fatigued the team was coming into today’s game. Said he might not even run them before Tuesday at Fayetteville. Either way, I expect an L at Bud Walton. Don’t wish for it, but would be throughly surprised if we woke up Wednesday still a 1-loss team.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wcware said:

Man, Jabari was open on the skip pass to the weak side all night and they maybe noticed 2 times.

There was one that was awful towards the end of the game. Think it was a possession where the ball never even went on the right side of the court, where Jabari was pretty much isolated. 

The good thing about the early rounds is that there’ll be a stretch where teams won’t too have much time to implement a whole defense for you, but there’s definitely a lot of tape out there for how to gum up this offense right now. 

• Like 1

Without Jasper, Wendell had to shoulder the entire burden of point guard. KD never brings it up and never plays the point. Ever notice that? Even today he didn't. But it keeps him in the game longer and fresh for his playmaking and kamikaze drives. The point is such an important, but often overlooked task. It can be very taxing. Even for a stud like Wendell. Today he didn't get much of a breather. And it showed. His energy, playmaking, and defense suffered in the 2nd half. As a team it suffered. That's why Bruce had no choice but to sub Cook for a few trips. All 3 of our guards need to stay healthy and fresh. I almost lost it when KD ran off the court in the first half, with an apparent right hand injury. He and Wendell have both had a few close calls. I hope they become a little less reckless and little more selective. And when will Berman return? We need him pronto.

Like many others, I'm not expecting a W at Arkansas. Another Tuesday game. Back to back road tests. And the Razorbacks are playing their best ball right now. They are very guard heavy and will challenge us with some serious ball pressure, and drive and kick action. We really need Jasper for this one. We can win if we stay connected and engaged on both ends. Keep those turnovers down. Our bigs need to be WAY more assertive and stronger with the ball. We have done a pretty good job of staying out of foul trouble. So that's a good sign. You may see us play a bit more zone here and there.

Bud Walton will be electric. But these are games our guys should LOVE playing in.

• Like 2

The first half we looked good. The second half, we got out smarted and out toughed. Fatigue, both mental and physical? I don't know why we'd be any more tired than the opponent.

A win is a win, let's hope we can learn from this one and keep it going.

Our front court is capable of just dominating Georgia's, even on the road.  I'm not sure why it didn't work out that way.

8 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Was it My imagination or was cbp getting choked up in post game presser?

our players looked waaaaaaay fatigued 

Wasn’t getting choked up. He was pissed at Patric Young on the broadcast team. He said “Georgia should have won” instead of could have. Bruce heard him over the headset and was setting him straight that no, Auburn should have won and they did. 

I think it all comes down to not having another PG. Zep is severely underrated and was missed yesterday. It also shows while we have amazing depth at the other positions we don’t have PG depth. Definitely need Zep to get healthy and for Lior to get over that injury. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Was it My imagination or was cbp getting choked up in post game presser?

our players looked waaaaaaay fatigued 

I noticed that too. I wonder what that is all about. Probably some emotional moments in the locker room after a tough win like that. Plus, I think Bruce was pissed off when the guy on SEC Network said UGA should have won and Bruce didn't like that. He knows how hard his kids play and loves them dearly. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Wasn’t getting choked up. He was pissed at Patric Young on the broadcast team. He said “Georgia should have won” instead of could have. Bruce heard him over the headset and was setting him straight that no, Auburn should have won and they did. 

I think it all comes down to not having another PG. Zep is severely underrated and was missed yesterday. It also shows while we have amazing depth at the other positions we don’t have PG depth. Definitely need Zep to get healthy and for Lior to get over that injury. 

I saw that and I’m glad he pushed back.  I meant with the auburn media via zoom.

19 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Man, I didn't think it was possible to love Bruce more but with his quotes after this W I do.

this is the difference between a good coach and whatever the hell Nate Oats is. Good coaches don’t consistently throw the players under the bus, they man up and take responsibility. 

• Like 3

Just now, mustache eagle said:

I saw that and I’m glad he pushed back.  I meant with the auburn media via zoom.

Oh my bad. Haven’t gotten around to watching that one. Thought you were talking about right after the game. 

18 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

this is the difference between a good coach and whatever the hell Nate Oats is. Good coaches don’t consistently throw the players under the bus, they man up and take responsibility. 

There’s a difference in throwing your players under the bus and calling them out for poor play.  I only watched the last fifteen minutes of the UAT game but they absolutely looked like they didn’t give a damn about playing while KY looked like a NBA team.  

Don’t take that as me standing up for the UAT coach though.  He could very well be in the wrong here.  

19 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

I understand what you're saying about Flan's game being off on offense but he is way too valuable on defense to sit him. I can live with a guy who struggles to score but plays great defense and can rebound. Think Dennis Rodman. I know Flan is alot better than Rodman on offense but I'm just talking about how a guy can disrupt the other team and play such a huge role without giving you much on offense. 

I'd agree if his D was lockdown like Zep. You can't have too many non shooters on the floor. Flan also at times kills momentum. I'm not giving up on him but think his minutes should be reduced some until he gets a better groove overall. 

Flan gives defensive versatility that off sets mismatches, especially with zep out. Pretty sure in this situation you sit him we don't win

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

Our front court is capable of just dominating Georgia's, even on the road.  I'm not sure why it didn't work out that way.

Just someone gotta get it to them. I rewatched the second half, and UGA did front the roller (Kessler/Cardwell) pretty often on top of sinking in the paint. Seeing multiple bodies definitely threw off the Pick and Roll calculus for Green, who got caught multiple times in the air trying to look for the lob

Zep also represents a body that can drive on a bad close out, is a solid open 3 point shooter, decent passer. So you can’t help off him like you do Cambridge, Jaylin, KD, and Flanigan (shooting a whopping 30% in SEC play from 3 currently). I’m not very aware of specific strategies, but it seemed like UGA made it a complete half court game in the second half, packed the paint, played KD straight up (and just contested all of his layups with help), and committed to making sure Wendell would not be able to see Kessler off pick and rolls 

• Like 1

My thoughts is this was a great outcome for AU. First with 20 games in a row and 10 SEC games in a row , Auburn was due a down day. UGA on the other hand has had a down year but recently beat uat at Georgia and beating AU the #1 team in the country, and having some Georgia men on their team, was high on their list. We also played without Zep who is a great ball controller and an excellent defender. Add all that up and it was a prime day for AU to lose. Add in also Oklahoma, uat and KY in the 10 days prior and the team was running in fumes. Usually even losing one late in the season is a good thing as it allows the team to refocus. I think this game will serve well as a refocus point as well. The players were feeling a little Giddy at being #1 for a couple of weeks, so this might be the point they needed to get back to being seriously locked in going the rest of the way. War Eagle. 

15 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

Bruce emphasized how fatigued the team was coming into today’s game. Said he might not even run them before Tuesday at Fayetteville. Either way, I expect an L at Bud Walton. Don’t wish for it, but would be throughly surprised if we woke up Wednesday still a 1-loss team.

And I think losing that game, if competitive, would be good for us.  We may be ranked #1 right now, but we are not playing like we're the best team in the country.  Not even close.  Kentucky is, but not us.  That's the truth.  A good ass kicking at Arky on Tuesday night would do us good, I think.  I hope.  We need a wakeup call that only a loss would give us.