Men vs UGA Game Thread

Maverick.AU

30 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Man, I didn't think it was possible to love Bruce more but with his quotes after this W I do.

That’s a coach, folks. Love it!

• Like 1

This roller coaster ride of blowing out a good team just to squeak past an also-ran in the next game is exhausting. But, hey, I am an Auburn fan. I should be used to it.

This team won't go deep in the tournament playing hero ball like we all saw today. A couple of our guys seem to be feeling themselves just a little too much lately and if that doesn't get corrected, you can forget this team getting past the Sweet 16.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Fayetteville gonna be rough. I can feel the L coming but I think taking the pressure off is needed before the tourneys start

That’s the one my friends and I agreed would be the optimal one to drop. I personally wanna break the Florida streak and not lose to Tenn ever. So that’s the one for me

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Jabari needs to demand the ball in these situations too. I recall one time he didn't and they didn't get it too him. Go take that ball and drive. Don't bail them out with jump shots. He shoots FTs too well. 

I'm really still trying to give Flan grace but it's getting harder with each game. I really don't expect him to be the player he was before he was hurt but the same time i don't expect him to hurt the team as much as he does. It may be time to sit him and let him get right in practice. We could really use his offense but his shot is just horrible right now.

I understand what you're saying about Flan's game being off on offense but he is way too valuable on defense to sit him. I can live with a guy who struggles to score but plays great defense and can rebound. Think Dennis Rodman. I know Flan is alot better than Rodman on offense but I'm just talking about how a guy can disrupt the other team and play such a huge role without giving you much on offense. 

We were at the game today and the AU fanbase was fantastic in their arena!!!

Sloppy second half. Some missed calls. And definitely a couple of Auburn players just trying to do too much. A little frustrating but a road win none the less. Hoping we play better as a team moving forward. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

This team won't go deep in the tournament playing hero ball like we all saw today. A couple of our guys seem to be feeling themselves just a little too much lately and if that doesn't get corrected, you can forget this team getting past the Sweet 16.

We sucked slightly less than uga today.   That should be very humbling for everyone associated with AU basketball!!!  We’ve got a lot of work to do!    There should never ever be a game when KD and Wendell shoot 2X as much as Jabari and Kessler!   I swear I don’t remember seeing KD pass the ball one freaking time!!!   We really missed Zep today!  Get better soon!   Flan just hasn’t found it yet.   He needs to find it quickly!!!   Hopefully this is a huge learning experience, and we don’t see that version of this team ever again!!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Without looking it up, I want to say it did in 2018-19. I remember we beat them in Athens did and beat UA at home. My mind is spotty on what occurred in the other two matchups 

Check the article on the AU bball page.  I think you are correct.  Before that time, though, it was back in the 50s.

• Like 1

We played a bad game and one thing I saw was some fans using Jasper being out as an excuse.  Remember when Ty Ty of KY got hurt and KY fans complained they would have won with him we said they were crybabies.  Lets not do the same thing we complained about KY fans. We almost loss not because Jasper was out but because we quit playing like a team when you look at number of shots by KD and Green and number of assists. We had two dominant big men on the floor and we did not use them it was that simple.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTFazz said:

This roller coaster ride of blowing out a good team just to squeak past an also-ran in the next game is exhausting. But, hey, I am an Auburn fan. I should be used to it.

UGA still has a good team despite their record.  They did upset bama so, it shouldn't be a surprise that they took AU to the wall.  Btw, love your picture of KD -- that kid is a combination of the Energizer Bunny & Tasmanian Devil!  

16 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We played a bad game and one thing I saw was some fans using Jasper being out as an excuse.  Remember when Ty Ty of KY got hurt and KY fans complained they would have won with him we said they were crybabies.  Lets not do the same thing we complained about KY fans. We almost loss not because Jasper was out but because we quit playing like a team when you look at number of shots by KD and Green and number of assists. We had two dominant big men on the floor and we did not use them it was that simple.

I literally haven't seen it being used as an excuse. Nobody is whining like the KY fans were. Most of us are simply saying that Jasper is an important asset and it was clear we needed his excellent defense and leadership. Also that Wendell had to play way more minutes than he usually does. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

I literally haven't seen it being used as an excuse. Nobody is whining like the KY fans were. Most of us are simply saying that Jasper is an important asset and it was clear we needed his excellent defense and leadership. Also that Wendell had to play way more minutes than he usually does. 

Yeah, no doubt Zep being out was a factor, but Wendell and KD playing poorly and selfishly in his absense was a much bigger factor.  Bruce has got to preach “Get the ball to Walker and Jabari way more often!!!” Jabari had an off day too, but he only took like 7 shots.   Walker’s shots/dunks are very high percentage!!!   And he can move and create plays down low.   He needs to be a centerpiece of the offense.   In the games where he has been, we’ve dominated our opponents!!!! (see bama game) 

• Like 2

Hmmmm the guards not handling the ball well besides when they attack the basket and they aren't sharing the ball? Not creating shots for others being to focused on scoring? Just a little concerned about our guard play? 

Wow that's crazy......

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Right on.  The #1 team in the nation, legit 2-deep at every position on the floor, should not be outplayed in the 2nd half by the absolute worst team in the SEC, even if we're without our starting point guard.

We are definitely on a collision course with a loss.  And I'm not sure that would be a bad thing.  It would cause our players to reset and get refocused.

2 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

I understand what you're saying about Flan's game being off on offense but he is way too valuable on defense to sit him. I can live with a guy who struggles to score but plays great defense and can rebound. Think Dennis Rodman. I know Flan is alot better than Rodman on offense but I'm just talking about how a guy can disrupt the other team and play such a huge role without giving you much on offense. 

I don’t mind not sinking buckets; it’s the mindless turnovers I can’t stand.

• Like 2

IMO, KD took 22 attempts because he wanted to show Georgia what they were missing in him before he transferred. He got too amped up, and that almost cost us the game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JTFazz said:

Maybe you should advise Kansas fans not to feel so bad.

1 hour ago, AUDynasty said:

IMO, KD took 22 attempts because he wanted to show Georgia what they were missing in him before he transferred. He got too amped up, and that almost cost us the game.

Thank God he did. Else we lose.

Am I the only one that noticed that Kessler looked sick or exhausted on the court in the 1st half?  There were a few times where the camera was on him during dead ball stuff and he was like cussing to himself (I could read lips for some of the words I think) and doubled over holding onto his shorts like he was tired.  They all looked a little gassed honestly even in the first half.  The effort to get loose balls and defensive intensity was on and off all game.  I think you will see that UGA has players saying they played their best game of the season against us and Auburn still won playing arguably one of their worst games of the season.  There was never any concerted effort to the get the "two man" game going with our bigs and way too many 3 point shots IMO.  This is just my opinion but I think Flanigan looks like he is not ready to be back on the floor most times.  Sloppy ball handling, passing, and can't finish strong.  He looks a step slower than just about whoever he guards and he isn't battling for rebounds like he used to.  I understand he has come back from a very bad injury and will improve, but right now he is hurting the team more often than helping it seems like.     

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Been playing hero ball all season. You are correct...if we keep playing hero ball, we won't make it past the Elite 8. No question we will make the Elite 8. Have seen that in this team since coming back on the road v St. Louis. This team is ultra-resilient on the road. But if we don't play to our strengths by getting it to Jabari and Kessler in the 2nd half and instead, jack up 3's early in the shot clock in the tournament, our goose is cooked.

I still say this team is Final Four bound. Too many veterans and too much depth.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Non-Covid related illness. Someone said they heard strep. 

Strep is going around here where I live.

I’m a little worried because we don’t play well on the road.  Two of the worst teams in the conference and we almost lost at their place.  
We hoped that Mizzou would be a wake up game for us, but apparently it wasn’t.